Sign in to follow this  
FlyingEngineer

Best ATC to use with Prepar3d v3.3/v3.4

.pilotedge.net ...similar to VATSIM?

I tried Pilot edge for a month, and the controllers are good, but you are talking to one controller all the time, which for  me, kind of broke the immersion . You are also confined to a small area of the US on the west coast, and it is about $20 a month. You better have charts at the ready and know your procedures and airspace restrictions. I think it is more aimed at the active student pilot, and I am kind of past that stage by many decades. :wink:  

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Contrary to the what others have said about VoxATC, it does work well and reliably with P3D v3.3. You don't need to use the migration tool or do anything too hard. I used the very last version of VoxATC. The method below overcomes the problems others have had with the indexer not working. I use VoxATC with the GTN750 and the HTC Vive. There is nothing like talking to ATC and be guided by what to say and what to tune the radio to. I get excellent recognition with the USB HyperX headset and very rarely have to repeat.

Here goes:

I installed P3D into C:\Prepar3D v3

You don't need to create the v2 folders before executing the following commands, mklink will do it. Make sure you include the quotes - it won't work if you leave them out. Run the following commands one by one in an admin command prompt - you will need to change 'username' in the strings below to your own installed name.

mklink /d "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2" "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3"

mklink /d "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2" "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3"

mklink /d "C:\Users\username\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files" "C:\Users\username\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Files"

mklink /d "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2" "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3"

mklink /d "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2" "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3"

mklink /d "C:\Prepar3D v2" "C:\Prepar3D v3"

After running the commands you can check that the folders were created. If you explore inside the new folders it will be a mirror image of the folder it is linked to. I used this method and it works fine.

Now install VoxATC as per normal.

I am not into online flying with VATSIM yet and love VoxATC. I came back from XPlane because of VoxATC, AS16 and FlyInside.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Having trouble getting my RC4 working with P3D. Are there instructions for such please?

Worked straight away for me, not sure if it had anything to do with the fact it was up and running with FSX first. What trouble are you having with it?

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Guest JustanotherPilot

+ ProATCX, with the new update now in beta testing it will continue to add realism to P3D and FSX

+ ProATCX, with the new update now in beta testing it will continue to add realism to P3D and FSX

Always a long time between drinks for Proatc. One update per year.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Guest JustanotherPilot

Always a long time between drinks for Proatc. One update per year.

Yeah, agree - but worth the wait

Contrary to the what others have said about VoxATC, it does work well and reliably with P3D v3.3. You don't need to use the migration tool or do anything too hard. I used the very last version of VoxATC. The method below overcomes the problems others have had with the indexer not working. I use VoxATC with the GTN750 and the HTC Vive. There is nothing like talking to ATC and be guided by what to say and what to tune the radio to. I get excellent recognition with the USB HyperX headset and very rarely have to repeat.

Here goes:

I installed P3D into C:\Prepar3D v3

You don't need to create the v2 folders before executing the following commands, mklink will do it. Make sure you include the quotes - it won't work if you leave them out. Run the following commands one by one in an admin command prompt - you will need to change 'username' in the strings below to your own installed name.

mklink /d "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2" "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3"

mklink /d "C:\Users\username\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files" "C:\Users\username\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Files"

mklink /d "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2" "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3"

mklink /d "C:\Prepar3D v2" "C:\Prepar3D v3"

After running the commands you can check that the folders were created. If you explore inside the new folders it will be a mirror image of the folder it is linked to. I used this method and it works fine.

Now install VoxATC as per normal.

I am not into online flying with VATSIM yet and love VoxATC. I came back from XPlane because of VoxATC, AS16 and FlyInside.

Good luck!

Thanks for that, but I tried it but my Vox installer hangs at weather themes. Anyone got a solution? Thanks.

Though all good software solutions for offline flying have been mentioned, nothing can beat a real person at the other end of your radio. If possible I would try to fly online as often as there is ATC. Vote for IVAO, VATSIM (both for free) or Pilotsedge ($ 20 but only restricted area).

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

My vote goes for PATC X.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

nothing can beat a real person at the other end of your radio

Agree !

I fly IVAO all the time. It is absolutely free and as a bonus you get real local weather.

On a buzy airport you can see and hear the other pilots which creates a  realistic environment.

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

Without doubt, live ATC (VATSIM/, PilotEdge, IVAO)is the best experience by far for me. I have a real aversion to canned, fake sounding ATC.

The downside is that VATSIM is not always available, although most of Europe is covered, most of the time, especially in the evenings and on weekends. Also, flying on VATSIM keeps you on your toes, because even if you're online and there is no controller covering, you never know when they might pop up. So you do have to ensure that you know what's going on all the time. Canned ATC products don't provide a sense of urgency to comply in the same way that live ATC does.

Though all good software solutions for offline flying have been mentioned, nothing can beat a real person at the other end of your radio. If possible I would try to fly online as often as there is ATC. Vote for IVAO, VATSIM (both for free) or Pilotsedge ($ 20 but only restricted area).

Flew with Vatsim years ago and tried it again last year when I resumed simming. Never any controllers when and where I want to fly, lucky if I could find one controller in the entire US many times. Not realistic at all in my opinion. I also don't have to worry about the controller deciding to watch TV or go to bed, when I am 1 hour from my destination. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Agree !

I fly IVAO all the time. It is absolutely free and as a bonus you get real local weather.

On a buzy airport you can see and hear the other pilots which creates a  realistic environment.

I agree but you guys are flying more on unicom lol

ProATC-X for now awaiting the update to solve some nasty bugs...

André

VATSIM is problematic for reasons above, also it forces me to plan my flight s based upon where coverage is, and I have to keep them to short hops soas not to lose the controllers.

spacer.png

I tried Pilot edge for a month, and the controllers are good, but you are talking to one controller all the time, which for  me, kind of broke the immersion . Y

Agree