Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

NGX Cockpit Sound Immersion - anyone tried it out yet?

OK, so I bought and installed the package and I'm currently en route ESSA-LOWS soon reaching my cruise level for tonight. So far I'm happy with the new sound package.

Hard to put my finger on it but somehow with this new sound package installed the sense of actually being in a cockpit is improved IMO. If it's more realistic is really hard to say if you're not used to spending your time in a real 737NG cockpit.

Should also mention that I did choose to keep a couple of sounds from another freeware sound pack for the NGX I've been using for a long time. One of the sounds for instance is a much improved ground roll sound which was not part of this new sound package. I guess that's to be expected since this sound package mainly is about moving switches etc in the cockpit.

All in all though I don't regret buying it and I will continue using it.

Richard Åsberg

They're a bit rough on the switches in the video.It sounds pretty much like the IXEG sounds to me.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I've spent many hours working on this soundpack, for more than 3 months.  Been in the real 737NG cockpit 4 times, recording the sounds of switches, levers, systems. I had a help from three real 737 pilots that provided the sounds for the package that I couldn't record. Also they gave me some pretty valuable suggestions how to improve the soundpack. I gave my best to develop realistic and authentic soundpack, and simmers will decide if I succeeded or not.  :wink:

"Best sound pack ever!!", "My simulator won another life in the cockpit", "Best Audio I have seen/heard in my entire FlightSim Life"

We are talking about a button/switch-sounds-package, right?

These kind of extremely raving remarks always make me smile a bit and suspicious  :wink:

Nevertheless I'm also intrigued. So if you bought it and think it is good, I'll buy also.

Believe me, I was also very positively surprised by these reviews! Didn't expected such an amazing and instantaneous feedback from the community. 

No engine sounds as of yet. Planned for future update.

Not an update, but as a separate soundpack. On my plan list, but can't promise anything atm.

I watchers the vid.
Very nicely done Pe11e

Thank you!  :smile:

I bought this a few days ago as I am sort of a sound nut.  These sounds only include cockpit sounds (switches, buttons, etc) as has been stated.  The new 'fan/AC' noise is fantastic...I really like it and overall give the package a thumbs up.  The trim sound is new as well which differs quite a bit from the original.  I fly the NGX about 95% of the time so this has sort of freshened things up a bit and brought some 'newness' to the NGX.  The only odd thing is that I got an OOM warning on my first flight using these sounds (between 2 default airports) and I have NEVER had one in the NGX (using P3D for 18 months).  The sounds do not appear to be a significantly larger file so it may have been a fluke...?

During my tests, I didn't noticed any VAS usage difference, but two beta testers said there is MAYBE, but maybe 50mb higher VAS usage with this soundpack, but they couldn't confirm it.

There have been some complaints at simflight.de regarding not careful looping of the fan noise sound (transition between end and beginning of sound). However, that was based on listening to the video. Is it really that disturbing inside FSX or P3D ?

I was listening to that loops for hours, during sound processing and also during testing, and I'm sure I removed and cleaned the sounds from any unwanted noise. Also I didn't noticed any bad looping. There are maybe few bad cuts/crossfades in the video, and that can sound as a bad looping.

• Upvote 1

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Just completed my first flight using this new sound package and as I already said I think many of the new sounds are great.

However...I too experienced VAS issues and after I landed at LOWS I was just on the edge of having an OOM CTD with only about 200 MB VAS left. Might of course be too soon to say for sure after only one flight but like someone else said I normally very rarely not to use the word never see any VAS issues.

For this reason I think I'll revert back to my former mix of sounds consisting of the original PMDG sounds with some modified sounds found in the freeware sound package I've been using for quite some time.

And don't take me wrong when it comes to this sound package. Again I really liked some of the new sounds! I just don't find these new sounds worth potential VAS issues.

Richard Åsberg

I have it and really like them. The background environment sound is best I've heard. The only thing I would change is the button sound when pressing buttons on the FMC. It is almost as loud as the switches sounds which is not the case. The FMC button sounds I feel need to be made quieter. Other than that, good stuff.

Eric 

Just completed my first flight using this new sound package and as I already said I think many of the new sounds are great.

However...I too experienced VAS issues and after I landed at LOWS I was just on the edge of having an OOM CTD with only about 200 MB VAS left. Might of course be too soon to say for sure after only one flight but like someone else said I normally very rarely not to use the word never see any VAS issues.

For this reason I think I'll revert back to my former mix of sounds consisting of the original PMDG sounds with some modified sounds found in the freeware sound package I've been using for quite some time.

And don't take me wrong when it comes to this sound package. Again I really liked some of the new sounds! I just don't find these new sounds worth potential VAS issues.

I could create an alternate 22khz version of the sound files and update the package.

Although I had no complaint regarding VAS usage except in this thread. I'm certain the numerous variables could affect VAS usage with this soundpack. As I've said during my tests I've seen maybe 50mb higher VAS usage, or the same, can't tell for sure. Same airport, same situation, before applying soundpack I had 1.2gb left, with 1.150-1.180, and the number is sometimes is the same - 1.2gb.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I'm no expert when it comes to different sound formats but if you think making a set with 22 khz sound files would consume less VAS I guess it would be a good idea. What format is the existing files (44 khz?) and what format is the default sound files that come with the NGX?

Strange though why some are reporting VAS issues and others not but I guess reason for this being the huge amount of parameters playing a role in this equation.

Will try the same flight again the next couple of days without this new sound package to see if there's any difference.

Richard Åsberg

Bought it today immediately after I found it. Haven't done a full flight yet with the new sounds but after testing them out, I have to say it's greatly done. What's a big improvement for me is the sound when you switch to APU generators which is way more realistic than the PMDG sound. Moreover, you get the feeling of actually being in a cockpit because the APU, fan and pack sounds have that kind of reverb which occurs in a cockpit-like 'room'. I do recognise the sounds from the countless 737NG cockpit videos I watched on YouTube. Personally, I think this a must-have.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Guest Mik75

I just watched the product video on simarket, and I had to buy it instantly. I haven't installed it yet, but the switch sounds, the trim wheel sound, and the sound of the generator bus switches are top notch! I love it, excellent work!

The engine sounds of the NGX are really good, but the sounds of the switches were a bit weak, in my opinion. This is a real gain in immersion!

This addon is a must have but it has a little bug, if you exit to an external view with your engines off, when you enter into the cockpit again, it looks like the engines are running??.

That is a well known issue and noted by PMDG. This is nothing to do with the sound pack. PMDG stated you press the "Q" key twice to return sound back to normal. Been like that since the NGX was released.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

That is a well known issue and noted by PMDG. This is nothing to do with the sound pack. PMDG stated you press the "Q" key twice to return sound back to normal. Been like that since the NGX was released.

Wellll....I am really PO.'d at PE11E!!!! He has ruined me for every other aircraft...I MUST have his sound files for EVERY aircraft I own....get to work young sir!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re:

The AVSIM Community

hesynergy,

You have been given a warning by Jim Young.

Reason: Inappropriate Language

Trying to disguise inappropriate language will not work here at AVSIM. Using the term "#####" in the topic http://www.avsim.com/topic/483124-megascenery-california-4x-missing-large-section-of-scenery/page-3 is considered inappropriate and I have removed the post. It is a violation of our Terms. Please do not try to disguise bad language here at AVSIM again.

~~~~~~~~~~

Jim, While I acknowledge using graphics characters to spell out "inappropriate words", remains inappropriate, I must add "What the frack", the initials of which, is a movie title, who's same initials are what I was slammed for by you, as seen as #### above. Is not the Avsim community allowed to refer to that MPAA approved movie title?

I appreciate the difficulties of being a member the Avsim "Supreme Court", sometimes words are inappropriately inferred, and require judicious rumination rather than knee-jerk reactions. Fracking, freeking, and innumerable other like words like PO'D are euphemisms. There is an obvious difference.

"noun eu·phe·mism \ˈyü-fə-ˌmi-zəm\

Popularity: Top 1% of lookups

Simple Definition of euphemism

: a mild or pleasant word or phrase that is used instead of one that is unpleasant or offensive

Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

He has ruined me for every other aircraft...

It is true.  Sounds are such an underrated component of the overall product.  We especially need high quality sound replacements for all the Carenado and Alabeo aircraft.  The available sounds for those are slapdash and inaccurate - and one of the reasons I don't fly them much anymore.

I hope Pe11e considers this for future versions.

Would be great to hear some feedback from a real life 737 NG pilot. In other forums the opinion is that the sounds are overdone and way to loud compared to what you hear in the real cockpit. All those "it sounds more realistic"-comments are quite pointless if they come from armchair pilots. How could you know what is "more realisitic"? But maybe a real life pilot can add some quality feedback to the discussion. That would be nice.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Wellll....I am really PO.'d at PE11E!!!! He has ruined me for every other aircraft...I MUST have his sound files for EVERY aircraft I own....get to work young sir!!

Haha, you're welcome!  :P

It is true.  Sounds are such an underrated component of the overall product.  We especially need high quality sound replacements for all the Carenado and Alabeo aircraft.  The available sounds for those are slapdash and inaccurate - and one of the reasons I don't fly them much anymore.

I hope Pe11e considers this for future versions.

Well, for me sound is important for a proper immersion as visuals, if not more. For instance I couldn't fly few airplanes in FSX only because of pretty bad engine sounds.

I fully agree Carlo and I was saying this too, hard to know what is more realistic if you don't spend your days in a real cockpit.

Another thing I was thinking (and without this experience from the real world cockpit) is - do you really hear pretty much anything from turning knobs of different kinds etc unless the cockpit is close to silent? I can imagine as soon as you have lots of other sounds around you which I guess is often the case in a real cockpit you won't hear anything from the knobs and switches.

Would be really interesting to have some input from a real world 737NG driver!

Richard Åsberg