Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo41

Flying out of Heathrow

Lou,In fact I think you will find that LHR sits around 18th in the number of movements, most of those ahead of it are in the USA.Apart from the amount concrete the major factor in either hindering or expediting aircraft movements is whether or not a particular states ATC's are allowed to use discretionary landing and takeoff clearances. If ATC are not permitted to use this ICAO standard then things slow down. This I believe is the situation at LHR and probably at most airports outside the USA.Regards,Neil Bradley

Guest oyvindhansen

Wouldn't the large number of heavies also have some say on the number of movements, by requiring increased separations, especially as Heathrow uses only one runway for landings.Anyway, it seems LHR has runway space to spare, as they are now building Terminal 5.-

The Airports Council International publishes useful statistics.http://www.airports.org/cda/aci/display/ma...i&cp=1-63_9_2__These show that in 2004 London Heathrow dealt with 67,344,054, ranking, 3rd after Atlanta with 83,606,583 passengers. It had 475,9990 movements, ranking 15th after Chicago O'Hare with 992,427 movements.However, as well as Heathrow there are another 4 international airports all within 30nm of central London (London Gatwick, London Stansted, London Luton, and London City). In 2004 for this group of airports, the total number of passengers was 128,927,508 and the total movements were 1,057,168. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/133374.jpgThe last column shows considerable differences in the number of passengers per movement, reflecting the different types of aircraft using the airports.

Another way to deal with AI traffic is to assign a key combination through FSUIPC (if registered). I assigned "Ctrl Shift NUM +" for 100% AI traffic, "Ctrl Shift NUM -" for 0% AI and a few keys in between for 20% 50% and 70% AI. Works great, especially on approach into a busy airport. If fps drop to much, with a single keypress I can reduce the amount of AI to get some of those precious fps back.And of course, if a queue is too long on departure for my taste, one key press and they're all gone. Two seconds later they find themselves sitting at the gates again, probably wondering what had happened to them. :)Regards,Jure

I'm an Aussie-I flew into Dallas-FortWorth once(in real life) and was amazed at the traffic. I am very familiar with London Heathrow and can understand why it is so busy.Just out of curiosity, can you tell me why KATL, KORD an KLAX are so busy -- especially in regard to KATL being the worlds busiest airportRegardsBarry

Just out of curiosity, can you tell me why KATL, KORD an KLAX are so busy -- especially in regard to KATL being the worlds busiest airportBarry, Glad you asked, because I happen to be an expert on such matters.After crossing the ocean you stop at KLAX to get gas. You then stop at KORD to pass gas. When it comes to KATL, they have the most facilities in the world to handle what comes naturally after passing gas in KORD. Of course, I could be wrong in my calculations since most of our politicians fly into Washington D.C. and we all know there is alot of #### there:-)Sorry for taking your serious question to the toilet.Best regardsJan1,KINDWhen I push the button and it works, I'm happy:-)