Sign in to follow this  
Yang Chenfeng

CS777......good or bad?

Hello,I'm a college student who doesn't have a lot of money.I want to buy a payware 777.But the PMDG one is too expensive for me.So I want to buy Captain Sim's 777,but I'm still confusing.Can everybody give me some advice?(Apologies for my poor English)

Hi Yang,

I know many people are going to jump on me for this, but let me go for it. Even the comparison between PMDG 777 and that of CS do boil their blood. (And I am not saying it should not !)

Coming to CS777, I am using it with their latest 1.71 release and I find it very good plane to learn basics of 777s. All the basic of FBW do indeed work as expected. Overall I do like it. (People do complain about high climb rates etc but personally I think it is all about how realistically one set-up the weights and other things.)

Having said so, PMDG would provide you great quality textures and comprehensiveness of everything working within cockpit. (which is again heavy on system)

I think you can definitely start with CS and can always switch when you think you are ready.

Regards

Prayog

If you wait until after Christmas  you might get it for 15 bucks like I did last year. I love it and fly it all the time. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

How's the VC FPS performance (with SP 1.7)? This model has been pretty badly knocked in the past for poor performance which always kept me on the sidelines.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I have both; If you consider value, CS777 is the better plane. Obviously, the PMDG rendition is a superior product; however, it's not 800% (the cost difference) better. In fact, I consider the CS777 the best fs addon I ever purchased, as it relates to value. Its relatively bug free, has almost all the systems modeled and employs some innovation (e.g. EFB). My only qualm is my Saitek throttles override the A/T. So, I have to leave the throttles in idle detent until approach. Otherwise, I haven't had a single problem; FPS and VAS are on par with the PMDG 777. Again, wait until their x-mass sale and pick this bird up for $12.00. You won't regret it...

• Upvote 1

Matt King

i have both.  The CS grafix and VC are substandard relative to the PMDG bird, as is avionics/failure modelling.

spacer.png

I stopped flying the PMDG 777 when I switched from FSX to P3D because I do not like having to pay twice for the same product. I got the CS 777 instead. It is a good plane, but to be honest I rarely fly it because I got so used to the PMDG 777, which is the better plane, hands down.

Here's a thought: I am currently waiting for the release of the Aerosoft Airbus A330, which is planned for around the end of the year. Judging by their excellent A320, this would be a good alternative to the 777. The latter is fly-by-wire, so flying such a plane means mostly setting up the systems and watch the CDU do the work. In that way, the 777 is similar to an Airbus.

Of course PMDG planes are more in-depth than Aerosoft Airbuses, but I daresay you will notice the difference only if you have to perform non-standard procedures. If you just want to do normal flights, Aerosoft quality is more than adequate. Plus, it is easier on your system performance.

Peter

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone who answered my question.The only thing I want to say is Captain Sim should make the RR-powered 773.I hope one day I can see the RR-powered 773 in the 777-300 expansion pack.

Another thing I observe with CS is, in spite of having such a strong line of products, they have hardly any active participation on communities be it avsim or even their own forum. You will not find their actual developer or staff directly coming and answering anything. (Tanya used to be there, but did not see any response for long time now.) I think they need to be little more social in this regard. Their products are good and reasonably priced.

(I once raised a ticket to them instead of putting it to their forum, I did receive an acknowledgement however it did not last much and no further information to my question was given. It wasn't any showstopper though.)

Regards

Prayog

I completely agree with your observations regarding their forum... it's almost exclusively user driven. OTOH, my experience with staff after opening a ticket was excellent. Extensive and detailed interaction to diagnose a the problem, including a custom test program, resulting in a patch for me which later got rolled into a SP.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Good to hear on your case. Mine was more like a suggestion which was ACKed. However my question (yes/no type, and if yes then details) after that was not answered therefore I believe that the answer must be "No".

If somebody knows any of CS staff, please convey the message that we love their products. Please actively be there with us.

Regards

Prayog