Sign in to follow this  

Pilatus PC12

Good evening everyone. I was going to post this over at Flight1, but this is something they may not be able to support, I would think.OK, In the Flight1 PC12 I have two things that drive me nuts. Before I start, I do want to point out that I love this bird, and Flight1 did an amazing job like all of the aircraft they produce. It's just these two things I have. First is the ground handling. It is so loose compared to all of my other AC. EX: when I turn a bend, the plane seems to over steer, or has that feeling. I always find myself counter steering alot to straighten out on the taxi line. I Have the other sim.dll already which I love. Second, the profile for the aircraft when in a landing config, seems to be very nose down.I can't explain it, it just never felt right for some reason. Is this the way the actual PC-12 flight dynamics are? I thought I saw an altered file out there that changed the filght dynamics, for those that did not care for the default, but it has been so long Im not sure where to look. Thanks for any help. Best regards, Jeff

I agree with you on the taxiing behaviour does seem to be over sensitive and as for the landing config, try flaps 15 with anything more you get a very nose down attitude.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I have this oversteer problem with the PMDG 1900C unfortunatelySorry to hear about that, hopefully they will fix it as I am looking for a new smaller aircraft in the near future

I have seen a cockpit photo during approach and the comments of the pilot - the landing attitude can be EXTREMELY nose down on the real one, in the photo it seemed like the plane was almost diving vertically. You could not even see the horizon! :-) Also check your approach speed and weight. It seems like a big plane but comes in relatively slow..

Thanks for the replying guys. Knowing the actual plane does this by the mention of the photo, I feel better about it. The ground steering thing is still strange to me. Knowing Flight1, this is most likely the way the real plane is. They strive on real dynamics within fs9 limitations of course. I know I saw a modified cfg somewhere. I wanted to see if that would help, but I can live with it the way it is. If anyone knows where to get it, please let me know. Thanks!Best regards, Jeff

I have found other aircraft to oversteer when taxing. One thing I do is to make sure I am not taxing too fast, and also gently apply left/right rudder. When in the turn, anticipate where I will need to be going straight. Meaning start to straighten before you get pointed in the direction you need to be going. Otherwise you will overshoot the taxiway or direction you need to go. It is no different than when flying. You should anticipate the rollout when flying.Kevin

Even though Mr. Metzger has generously provided an alternate flight dynamics file for our PC12, it is not approved or endorsed by us.This is truly the first time I have ever heard of any problems taxiing the PC12. Make sure you are not starting with a saved flight from another aircraft and/or situation other than the default at either Meigs or Seattle, and then load the PC12.We will certainly watch this for future reports, but out of the many PC12's sold, + the endorsement by Pilatus themselves, this is a first.Also, anything faster than a brisk walk is probably too fast with respect to taxiing. I also realize that many people have a modified dll which by all rights is supposed to increase friction, however, we really can't make recommendations, suggestions or changes based on modified core modules of the sim. Yes, I know that the answer might be that no other aircraft exhibits this, but we base our work on the default FS engine. Modifying core dll's just confuses matters for us and doesn't offer us a level playing field.Regards,Jim Rhoads

Hey Alex, that pic says it all! Hi Jim, I never doubt your work in anyway. The modified dll I have is most likely causing this with my PC-12. I love this bird no matter what. It just has a different feel than most aircraft I fly in FS9, which is a good thing. Thanks for all of your replys. I might try Alex Metzger's file just for kicks. Have a good night everyone. Best regards, JeffEDIT: Thanks Craig for the link..I forgot!

Hey Moss...The PC12 is an outstanding aircraft. Generally, I've found most of the FS2004 default and add-on planes to have a bit of what I'd call "slippery" nosewheel steering. Augmenting the steering with a bit of differential braking seems to give more realistic feel in my opinion.I also found the PC12 had a distinct nose low pitch and found that a small difference of only 5 to 7 knots had a big effect on the feeling of "wheelbarrowing". Slowing down a few knots really helped.You can read my lengthy review about the PC12 on SimHQ:http://www.simhq.com/_air4/air_159a.htmlRegards..BeachAV8R

Guest JIMJAM

I started getting interested in Alaska and bought this plane and couldnt be happier. I think the vr pit is 1st class and one of the few I can actually fly from. The performance of this plane amazes me. I have shoe horned this plane into strips I never could have imagined.Yes Ive noticed from exteranal views the nose wheel getting cocked sideways and dragged. Usually its a result of me being heavy handed on the throttle. Since you cannot feel inertia in the sim, its easy to overpower and taxi at much higer speeds than you would in rl.

Guest MattNW

I think I remeber the nose down attitude being discussed on the Flight One forum right after the PC-12 came out. If I remember correctly a PC-12 pilot confirmed that this was accurate for an approach. The flair will bring the nose back up. It well may also be exaggerated by the point of view within FS 2004. In a real airplane you can tilt your head to compensate while in the sim it's a case of tunnel vision.John, I too have had the taxi steering problem. I never reported it because I'm using the modified Sim1.dll and attributed it to that. After reading this I put the old .dll back in and it still handles a little squirrely. Not near enough however to be a major problem. Just have to be real careful in the corners. I think the delayed spool up and down of a turboprop aggravates it some also. I get less oversteer if I am coasting than if I am adding throttle.

Hey BeachAV8R, Thanks, I'll check that out. Alex, I don't want you to be turned off about purchasing the Flight1 PC-12. If you can get it, do it. This subject I started here wasn't meant to down play the PC12 at all, and I'm sure you don't think that. I was just curious as to the dynamics in general. This bird is top notch as all Flight1's products are. I would feel terrible if anyone would decide not to get the PC12 because of this thread. If Flight1 made terrible products (which will never happen) the service and commitment they give to the community and its client base would make up for this 1000 times over. Being that they give 1000 times to both, they are top notch. You will love having this PC12 in your hanger. Sorry for going on, but I feel like I put a negative on a fantastic product. Have a good night everyone. Best regards, Jeff