Sign in to follow this  
777 pilot

PC hardware

In my opinion, your SSD is on the small side.  My 750GB system drive is already half full and it is dedicated to Win10 and P3D, none of my downloads are stored there for space considerations.  All my office and application are on a different workstation.

I personally prefer the Western Digital Black drives for TB storage.

i have a similar cooler on my 4790K and I cannot OC nearly as much as i can with my 6700K on liquid, so if your plans are to stay at 4.4GHz or less then you're probably okay.

Dan Downs KCRP

In my opinion, your SSD is on the small side.  My 750GB system drive is already half full and it is dedicated to Win10 and P3D, none of my downloads are stored there for space considerations.  All my office and application are on a different workstation.

I personally prefer the Western Digital Black drives for TB storage.

i have a similar cooler on my 4790K and I cannot OC nearly as much as i can with my 6700K on liquid, so if your plans are to stay at 4.4GHz or less then you're probably okay.

The SSD is just for the Windows and some programms. And FSX goes to the HDD. What do you think about a i5 6600k?

I didn't even  look at the i5-6700K when I was upgrading from an i7-6700K; however, I'm single and make my own purchase decisions. The 6700K is much more popular but with budget constraints I'd consider the 6600K after looking at some reviews: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6600K/3502vs3503

If you can afford it, I recommend a second SSD for P3D and since prices have really come down on these in the past couple years something like a Crucial 750GB has a MSRP of US$170.  I personally would go with the SSD instead of the TB HDD up front.  Maybe add the HDD later and use it for archiving and backup.

Dan Downs KCRP

I didn't even  look at the i5-6700K when I was upgrading from an i7-6700K; however, I'm single and make my own purchase decisions. The 6700K is much more popular but with budget constraints I'd consider the 6600K after looking at some reviews: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6600K/3502vs3503

If you can afford it, I recommend a second SSD for P3D and since prices have really come down on these in the past couple years something like a Crucial 750GB has a MSRP of US$170.  I personally would go with the SSD instead of the TB HDD up front.  Maybe add the HDD later and use it for archiving and backup.

I could build the PC and laterone upgrade it with an SSD. Now I have FSX running on an HDD and it works "fine". I have an AMD FX-6300. 

Or should I buy the i7 6700 without k?

If you don't plan to overclock.  The K means unlocked and capable of overclocking.  With that air cooler it looks like you don't plan to overclock so it's a consideration.

I should add that there is an active hardware forum in AVSIM if you wish to dig deeper.

Dan Downs KCRP

I would get more memory than 8GB. At a minimum 16GB. Consider 32GB, P3D will hopefully be a 64bit application someday.

Is a Overclockerble CPU better than a non-OC CPU. Speaking in Price/Performance reasons? A GTX 750 Ti is fine also? I'm using FSX with some addons.

I can't speak on the graphics board, but I wouldn't want to run the simulation from an HDD. Never. It just takes too long.

I can't speak on the graphics board, but I wouldn't want to run the simulation from an HDD. Never. It just takes too long.

With my actual computer the loading takes around 10 min in which I can prepar my flightplan and my checklist. SO I don't care soo much the loading time. :-)

With my actual computer the loading takes around 10 min in which I can prepar my flightplan and my checklist. SO I don't care soo much the loading time. :-)

Regarding SSD vs HDD its not just a matter of "loading times" but smootheness you get running FSX/P3D on a SSD.

:shok: OK. Don't you ever have to test something? Just checking an add-on airport or something like this? When I install a bunch of freeware airports sometimes I have to check 3 times until everything is correct with the elevation and taxiways...

Regarding SSD vs HDD its not just a matter of "loading times" but smootheness you get running FSX/P3D on a SSD.

I've run FSX on both a 7200 rpm HD and currently a 10,000 rpm VelociRaptor HD and the sim has run just as smooth on either drive but does load faster on the VelociRaptor drive.

I think it's been proven over the years that an SSD or fast mechanical hard drive won't make any difference in the smoothness or visual clarity of the sim as that is more about CPU and RAM speed, where as the SSD will boot and load faster.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator