Sign in to follow this  
Krister

TrackIR 4

Honestly, I have been waiting to buy the TIR4 as well.However, I bought the E-Dimension 3D glasses long long ago when they first came out, & I have used them 2 or 3 times. I could never get it to work correctly, & when I did get it going somewhat well, it just was not very '3D' or even as good as the 2D image.So, I personally would not use them even if free, and with an LCD monitor, I cannot use them now, as I believe I remember them requiring a CRT monitor.Just my opinion

Yep, just a toy IMHO. The display is more prone to flicker because the glasses effectively halve the refresh rate. There is also a reduction in brightness, although this can be compensated for. For me, the major issue was the dcerease in the clarity of the gauges caused by ghosting. You can't fly to the numbrers if you can't read what they are. On the other hand the Track IR3 pro is worth the money. If they have improved it with the new model, I'd like to know how!Cheers,N.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Guest jaapverduijn

Greetings Wombat!As coincidence would have it, yesterday I reinstalled my EDimensional glasses after having updated my Nvidia videodrivers (both "normal" and "stereo") for my GeForce 6800 card to the 78.01 version. In general, ghosting has decreased considerably compared with the older drivers (I don't rember which ones exactly), but even with my previous drivers the ghosting of instruments in the VC could be reduced to practically zero by pottering about with the "convergence" option. With the new driver set this has even been improved. It might be worth your while to try out these drivers and give the stereo thingummies another go.By the way, where in Melbourne do you live? Way back in 1966 and 1967, during a year's stay in Oz, I lived in Ann Street, Prahran (some taxi drivers would insist it's in Windsor), in Wellington Street, St Kilda, in Kensington Road, South Yarra, in Nicholson Street, Fitzroy, and finally in Munro Street, Armadale. I used to know my way around the City and several suburbs quite well, but it's a long, long time ago now. Whereabout's your place?Anyway, give your ED stuff another try. I reckon she'll be right, now.Be well!Jaap Verduijn.

So....Do you think this new TRACK IR 4 is a good investment in our hobby? I've been tempted to get one for a long time, so with this news of the 6 DOF capability, I just may "pull the trigger" and buy it.I'll probably get the Hat and the tracking device as well (clips on the hat). I just hope it's not some big gimmick that I will tire of quickly. I'd love to hear from some TRACK IR users..even though they probably have the older version of the device.

Yeah I'm probably gonna finally grab one of these as well next month - I love VCs and now that I have a vid card that can run them smoothly, the TrackIR makes sense...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest Bottle

I've had TrackIR1, TrackIR2, TrackIR3 Pro and then the Vector Expansion clip/software. I will almost certainly get TrackIR4 when it is available. I mainly used/use it to fly in IL2/Forgotten Battles/etc. where it gives a distinct situational awareness advantage. However, it's better in FS9 as that uses 6 degrees-of-freedom (6DOF). Granted, FS9 has been retrofitted for 6DOF so it's easy to put your head through the roof/door/etc., but it's great to zoom in on your panel in the VC. For proper 6DOF implementation, try the excellent Battle of Britain II Wings of Victory game. Also, bet your bottom dollar that FS10 will be explicitly designed for TrackIR.Word of warning. It will take you about two weeks to get used to it. For a while you'll get a sore neck if you use it for long periods. But now I can use TrackIR for hours on end without any ill effects. It's completely natural and I woudln't fly without it. Don't give up, keep using it, it becomes second nature eventually.

Guest dswo

Response to 3d goggles has been lukewarm. Most people who try TrackIR, on the other hand, really like it. Count me in the latter category, and do a search in this forum on "trackir" for other views/reviews.

Guest OneMacGuru

Ive just ordered one after a demo at my friends house a couple of weeks ago. "Gimmick"? No I don't think so. "Is it worth the money"? mmmm - jury is still out on that one. "Can I do without one"? Well, up until a couple of weeks ago I would have said yes but after spending around an hour using one, it's just not as natural without it. Did a lot of checking around the forums and the general feeling is very positive.Al

I have Track IR3 with Vector and wouldn't fly low and slow without it now.If you prefer the heavies only or most of the time in the Flight Levels I'm not sure if I would purchase one or not.Again there is nothing like it for low and slow. It does take some time to get used to.I believe they have dropped the price on IR3 with Vector.Not sure how they could have improved on it.Craig

Guest jgreth123

As with the other 5 million posts about TrackIR :(I have TrackIR 3 Pro + Vector. I fly both GA and heavies ( more time in heavies ). I fly PMDG 747-400 and Level-D 767-300. I love them both with TrackIR.See the TrackIR forum at www.naturalpoint.com and check the tips page I made under Vector Expansion sub-forum.

Hi Jaap! I live in Blackburn at the moment, although I lived in East Malvern for quite while. I tried the newer drivers and I agree they are a great improvement. I was able to reduce the ghosting by changing the convergence as you suggested but overall I found it still unsatisfactory on my system. At 1600 x 1200 and 100 Hz it is asking a lot of any g/card! I guess I value the high resolution more than the 3D effect.The track IR3 system on the other hand works like a charm and although expensive really adds to the immersion factor.Cheers,N.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

I love my TrackIR. If you like to fly from the virtual cockpit and "as real as possible", this is the device to get.

OK OK The posts here have totally convinced me to buy it.I will do so tomorrow. It sounds as if it's a "no brainer" and this device works as advertised. I may be missing something here. I must get involved in this and experience the movement all of you are experiencing.

Guest JIMJAM

I have a few question for you users.Do the mouse still work the same in the cockpit?Can you still use instrument pop up panels?How do you zoom in and out?What happens when you go to 2d panel or external view?Ive heard all the good points,any bad?Ive been thinking about trackir for sometime but though it was just a novelty and would be a major hassle to use. Any answers to the questions would be appreciated. Thanks