Sign in to follow this  
Krister

TrackIR 4

Yes those are good questions, and heres a couple more:1. Using TrackIR do you still use shift-enter to move the seat up etc?2. To move around in the cockpit (ie to the FO seat) do you still require Active Camera for that?3. When you look down to the keyboard what will show on the screen?thanks.

With Track IR3 pro vector you move in and out, up and down, side to side just by moving your head. You can zoom in on a gauge just by moving your head towards it, just as you would in the real world. The mouse works as normal but I don't think you can use Active Camera with the TrackIR3 system running. There is no frame rate hit, at least on my PC. When you look down at the keyboard the display will move down too, unless you toggle off the sensor with the hot key (F9 on my system). It's not a problem because when you look up at the screen the forward view slides back into place again. You can toggle a precision view with F8 that is less sensitive to head movement at the straight ahead position so you don't have to keep your head absolutely still for long periods. There is no frame rate hit, at least on my system.It also only works in the VC, so if you only fly with 2D panels don't bother buying it. This also means your appreciation of a plane has to be revised in terms of the quality of the VC. So the Track IR system is best used in GA aircraft rather than heavy iron that need a lot of 2D panels to operate all the systems. I find the RAS planes (Spitfire, Marchetti) the CS F-104 (hard to fly but a fantastic VC) the Aeroworx B200, the Dreamfleet Baron, the ** P-51D/H and some freeware (the Corsair comes to mind) have great VC's and are suitable for Track IR. Hope this helps!Cheers,N.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Guest Knikolaes

Well, on the airliners bit Track IR seems it would be bloody sweet for cases like the PMDG 747 and PSS 777 -- which can be operated ENTIRELY from the VC and do not need 2D panels at all :-)I am getting this Track IR this spring with my financial aid refund, as well as the goflight cockpit controls :-)

Heres how they improved on it: A Detailed Breakdown:: Model TrackIR 3:PRO $119.95 Field of view 33 degreesTrackIR 3:PRO $149.95 (119.95 + 29.95) Field of view 33 degrees+ Vector Expansion* TrackIR 4:PRO $179.95 Field of view 46 degrees Sample Rate 120 120 120 (All three)Response Time - - 25% faster (Track IR 4 Pro) Resolution 358X290 Track IR 3 Resolution 358X290 Track IR 3 + vector expansionResolution 716X290** Track IR 4Unit Size(w/o base) 2.2

> but I don't think>you can use Active Camera with the TrackIR3 system running.I use Active camera and TrackIR 3 Pro at the same time!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Guest victorwest

>> but I don't think>>you can use Active Camera with the TrackIR3 system running.>>I use Active camera and TrackIR 3 Pro at the same time!>>You can't use TrackIR and the Active Camera head latency function at the same time.Victor

Guest Knikolaes

GOOD! That Head Latency thing always made me dizzy anyway. LOL.

Exactly, you CAN use TrackIR and Active Camera but you have to disable headlatency in Active Camera.To quote Serge, the developer of Active Camera:"Generally the head latency movement of AC2004 is quite redundant with Track IR since TrackIR (the user) generates his own natural head latency effect. The only difference is that AC2004 uses an algorithm which computes the G-load factor (which is in my humble opinion more realsitic)."

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Guest jgreth123

>* - Vector Expansion is an add-on for TrackIR 3 series only. I wanted to clarify something here. The Vector Expansion is called 6DOF ( 6 Dimensions of Freedom ). The TrackIR 3 Pro initially didn't have it. Then they had the 'Vector Expansion' for TrackIR 3 Pro to give it the 4 more axis of movement. The TrackIR 4 Pro comes with 6DOF ( the Vector Expansion ), it just isn't listed seperately.I didn't want anyone to be confused by that.As far as Active Camera goes, you can definately use the two as long as you disable head latency. It's very handy if you move around. Personally I don't simulate going to the restroom in my sim, so I don't use Active Camera anymore. I sit in the VC and never leave it. I don't even use external views anymore ( except for the rare replays if it was a difficult approach and want to see how I looked from the tower view or something -- get the public beta of the recording module, it's AMAZING ).