Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

REX/ACTIVE SKY PRO AND CONS

I realize that is not the right forum to post my above question but I do it anyway.

The question is what are the differences between Active Sky and REX ?

What are the pro and cons.

Thank you

Hubert Werni

Herbert Werni

It depends on what you're trying to compare. Are you referring to weather engines, textures, or both? More specifically, what Active Sky (e.g. ASN, ASCA or AS16) and REXs (e.g. Overdrive, Soft Clouds or Direct) products are you trying to compare? Your question is just too ambiguous to offer a reasonable response. What are you asking, specifically?

Matt King

Agree with Matt.  If you want a good weather engine then that is definitely AS16.  The textures are more a matter of personal preference so you're asking for opinion and those are like belly buttons. Everyone has one.

Dan Downs KCRP

The question is what are the differences between Active Sky and REX ?

What are the pro and cons.

Active Sky is a weather engine and REX is for textures that depict the sky, clouds, sun, runway surfaces, water, etc. The two work very well together. However don't get Active Sky's textures (ASCA) or REX's weather engine

Active Sky is a weather engine and REX is for textures that depict the sky, clouds, sun, runway surfaces, water, etc. The two work very well together. However don't get Active Sky's textures (ASCA) or REX's weather engine

Not sure why you'd tell someone not to get ASCA. In combination with AS2016, the visuals are incredible.

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

Not sure why you'd tell someone not to get ASCA. In combination with AS2016, the visuals are incredible.

I used it for several weeks; however, I ended up going back to REX4 Direct and REX Essentials. Like Dan Downs wrote it is a matter of personal preferences. I have no idea why I bought ASCA. I should have learned my lesson with the weather graphics that came with Active Sky 2012. With that said, I am sure I will install and try ASCA again sometime in the future. It's not a bad program, I just like REX more.

I agree, the weather and clouds outside my window now are nicely represented in P3D using AS16 and ASCA.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

You should get commission, I bought AS 16 and ASCA this week based on your comments.

• Upvote 1

I'd have to agree.

Keeping in mind that ASCA not only does textures but also includes new cloud models that REX doesn't yet offer.

I've found ASCA to look best using both cumulus and cirrus textures set to 512 and using HDEv2 sky textures. So far I've found it to look better than anything I've used yet paired with AS16.

I run full dynamic mode with:

Sky texture - unchecked

Cumulus clouds - checked at 512dxt

Cirrus clouds - checked at 512dxt

Cloud models - checked

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You should get commission, I bought AS 16 and ASCA this week based on your comments.

These are just the sort of answers I like to a question I was also unsure about on REX v ASN; but, are your answers mainly based on a P3D platform, or are the effects the same in FSX?

I operate on FSX and have no intention, at the moment of switching to P3D - it's too costly and with 747 V3 on the horizon for my Christmas budget, and the possibility of having to re-purchase all my PMDG fleet and scenery add-ons, the inconvenience would be too much.

I'll second the comment on Kyle's commission and will go down the AS16 trial route first before ASCA. 

Bernard Walford

May as try as16 first cause there isnt a discount for buying both, bizarrely enough.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

It depends on what you're trying to compare. Are you referring to weather engines, textures, or both? More specifically, what Active Sky (e.g. ASN, ASCA or AS16) and REXs (e.g. Overdrive, Soft Clouds or Direct) products are you trying to compare? Your question is just too ambiguous to offer a reasonable response. What are you asking, specifically?

I compare ActiveSkyNext with RexEssentialPlusOverdriveWithSP3

Please ignore my ignorance for my specific questions:

a) What is a weather engine ( definition ) 

b) Is there anything REX cannot do what ActiveSky can.To me the to two programs seem to be the same.

Thanks again

HubertWerni 

Herbert Werni

I have REX and it has runway and water textures etc that the AS doesnt.

spacer.png

What is a weather engine

Weather  engine is  basically  sets  the  weather  and  clouds  to the conditions,  and  what ever  texture  addon  you have  installed will install  the  textures

Is there anything REX cannot do what ActiveSky can

Yea  the main thing  to have  to radar  to work  with pmdg aircraft  you  will need  to have  asn  installed  is  the main issue 

I used it for several weeks; however, I ended up going back to REX4 Direct and REX Essentials.

You know  you combine   AS016  with asca  and  rex  together

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Hey,

Has anyone tried AS2016 without cloud art?  I have 2016 and it did improve the look of clouds - and you get those motion effects going through clouds etc.

Am tossing up whether the Cloud Art is worth it?

Cheers,