Sign in to follow this  
G-BANX

Made the jump to P3D

Hi All,

Today I made the jump to P3D from 15 years of MSFS.

I'm currently FSX classic and over the time I've bought a mass of addons. My question is, is there anyway to migrate my current fsx setup into P3D? I've seen a tool online http://www.flightsim.ee/products/migration-tool but don't want to try anything in case it destroys my fsx before I'm setup on P3d.

So is it a start from scratch and get back to installing for hours at end or can it be done?

Unless you know what your doing stay away from the Migration Tool 

If you list your FSX Add On's (Not all them)  Just the ones you really want to use in Prepar3D,  I'm sure you will get advice on what will work and will Not work in Prepar3D.  Some Add On's will Install no problem others wont  

Hi G-Banx,

good move. I switched two years ago and do not miss the many little issues I had with FSX. I initially used the migration tool. It generally works OK, but I had issues with some of my addons when using the migration tool.

I would recommend to rebuild your configuration from scratch. I found that I could easily do without many of the things that I had installed in FSX, and you get a better performance as well.

Peter

Start simple and clean. Don't move a bunch of stuff yet. Work with the default stuff and get to know the sim and how it works first. Once you feel secure, try a few things. The stuff designed specifically for P3D V3 works best. Many older FSX items just don't port that well.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Unless you know what your doing stay away from the Migration Tool

Elaine, can you explain this a bit more? I have used MT quite successfully on previous installations for airports with no P3D installer.

To G-BANX - great move. You won't regret it.

If its on the same PC, then you may be able to add the scenery.cfg entries over to the P3D scenery.cfg provided you place the locations to be specific  drive.

meaning if you have an entry like 

Local=Aerosoft\EDDF in your fsx scenery.cfg

you may have to change it to something like  Local=D:\FSX\Aerosoft\EDDF  assuming (your old FSX was in D:\FSX\

Not all sceneries would work like that.. Almost all Orbx sceneries you have to reinstall (they have multi sim install) so non issue. But 90% of your add on scenery works nicely like that.. Particularly if you lhave ots of photo sceneries. These are the time consuming ones to reinstall but you do not have to.. just point it to the old location.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I have used the migration tool since it was released for both Aircraft and Airports to be honest i have found it to be brilliant and well worth the price,so please tell me what issues it is causing so I can watch out for them in the future,

peter

Elaine, can you explain this a bit more? I have used MT quite successfully on previous installations for airports with no P3D installer

I have used the migration tool since it was released for both Aircraft and Airports to be honest i have found it to be brilliant and well worth the price,so please tell me what issues it is causing so I can watch out for them in the future,

Are you's two Newby's ?   :smile:  Hardly,  sure both of yous have been knocking around longer then i have   

To a Newby IE beginner  (small computing skills) using a a Tool that takes over your control of what, when and how of your Install Path=  will inevitably end in trouble,  Note: what i said "To a Newby IE beginner" 

So like i said,  Unless you know what your doing (ability to troubleshot and diagnose) stay away from the Migration Tool 

Unless you know what your doing (ability to troubleshot and diagnose)

Pfff.  Yh piece of cake  :Tounge:

• Upvote 1

I've stopped using the migration tool because it makes odd changes to the CFG file. I have found this to be detrimental to the higher versions of P3D like 3.2, 3.3 and now 3.4. In these newer versions it seems better to leave the CFG file alone and not tamper with it too much. Less problems and less crashes of the sim.

• Upvote 2

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

The migration tool makes changes to the registry that may cause problems with some addons, and removing the tool does not undo the damage.  This is similar to a definition of a virus.

I have never found an add on that I cannot install for use with P3D.  That is to say all things work as expected, for example Aerosoft sceneries may have problems with ground textures, lighting, taxi signs, etc., unless the product is specifically for P3D. Regardless, I wouldn't let something called Estonian Migration Tool near my workstation.... guess where there is a thriving hacking industry?

• Upvote 2

Dan Downs KCRP

sorry I did not realize that you had become the definitive go to knowledge source for all things regarding flight simming.for your info siMarket list The EMT tool as the number 6 alltime best selling add on for their company,the number 1 is  PETE DOWSON - FSUIPC4, number 2 is FSUIPC3, number 3 is Active sky, so that terrible EMT is somehow managing to con an awful lot of simmers into purchasing it,despite being more trouble than its worth according to some of the self proclaimed experts amongst us

Peter

• Upvote 2

I used the EMT when I first switched to P3D (v2.3), but I have not used it since. I have not encountered any problems manually installing those FSX scenery addons that do not have native P3D installers. As for aircraft, I prefer to only install those that have been specifically designed (or upgraded) for use in P3D.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Anyway back on Topic

I'm currently FSX classic and over the time I've bought a mass of addons

G-Banx,   Manny's post #6 is spot on.

What are your Must-Haves that you would like to get Installed into Prepar3D ?