Sign in to follow this  
yellow5

Where Did the Fun Go?

Guest Edam

Try FsPassengers, it may help get your interest back.www.fspassengers.com

Guest william273

hi mark, well, what i was getting at in a nutshell was that i can reinstall FS9 as many times as i want and on any computer, not that i'm giving copies away cause i'm not. yes, i paid for all versions of FS, always have and always will. william

Hi,Well,..I started with this virtual thing with FS2. How many years is it,...15 - 18 or something like that...And I have experienced what you go through only two times. Once due to the fact that I went fedup with the definite fall of the good old flightsim community feeling, and once last year when I had a HD crash. My medicine was to pic up with the music thing, since I have a very active music life behind me.Both times it took me a couple of months to come back to FS. Not to the community I was used to earlier, but to another way of simming, and another "community profile" :-hahSo, keep it up,..and try to understand that this virtual life is not the real life. Try to have the distance needed. ;-)Happy landing,http://www.scandicair.com/images/as_banner.jpg

Staffan

Guest beana51

Hi, very understandable.Like eating chocolate for a while.Comes a time ya cant look at it.But we are all different.Funny,real flying does not do that to me,and others.With all the expenses,and costs,and inconveniences,it still holds me and my interest as if it was the first day I took those controls.Flying,and piloting ,is a way of life for many.Total commitment,and a great love affair. Me? why I can honestly say I love simming.I know its done at home,in a chair,AGl,with distractions,and yet ,ones imagination can make it a forfilling aviation experience. Just recently,I returned from a trip.As soon as I got back ,why I was reliving where I had been. You may consider getting a Private Pilots study materials.Use the wonderful FS9 as a training tool. That new goal, if your not a pilot, may take the cobwebs away.You may also consider a few flights in an aerobatic plane,that may renew your interest. A far as the costs involved,well every thing has a price.In some instances its a small cost for the joy one can get from things Aviation. Thank you for your honest post,it applies to many ,I'm sure. CHEERS TO YA!! VIN

I took a year and a half off. Just wanted to get other things done. I also was getting bored. I got back into FS9 with the purchase of my new puter. AMD3400 and all the bells and whistles. I like it again. I am currently flying around the world in a C310. 1 to 3 hour hops up to FL160. I never realized how much neat places there were along the way. Simming is again fun. I have flown from the center of CANADA to France and am still going, albeit slowly.JimCYWG

As others have said ... this happens to all of us in this hobby at one time or another!!! ...For myself ... I joined 2 VA's one cargo VA ... Globe cargo so I can fly the RFP 742 and another VA .. Singapore ... part of the Flying Tigers Group .. so I fly Singapore ... and every other airline FTG "has" ... which is almost everyone ... So ... this gives me the ability to have some structure to my flying ... I can pick a flight .... short hop or long haul depending on how much time I have and what I feel like ... and even better, what I feel like flying that day ... For instance ... if I want some F1 ATR 72 time, I fly Air Tahiti around French Polynesia .. if I want MD-80 I have Delta in the US and Alitalia to fly ... For Airbus of all sizes there is almost every airline these days .. For 747's the same, 737, 767 and 777 .. the same .. even the Dash 8 300 has some short great Qantaslink flights ... ever been top Rockhampton? 250 mi north of Brisbane .. This gives me some structure and a "meaning" and some satisfaction of seeing my hours in different aircraft grow ... and all the satisfaction I derive from flying all those aircraft I have bought.I feel very fortunate to have "discovered" the VAs ... there are many many good ones to provide your some structure.As Rob B pointed out above ... getting involved with development or testing can be fun ... I helped with the Alpha and beta testing as well as did the documentation for the RFP 747-200, and still visit the forum and help where I can. I have the happy pleasure of doing some beta testing on the new F1/Espen Super80 ... So getting involved is a good thing for me.As others advise ... stepping away is also a good strategy ... but there are so so many facets to this hobby that there is sure to be something to spark your interest.!!!Good Luck!!!!!Regards,Paul BenoitKSAN

Guest Pyjamas

Try taking a break from your computer, or at least flightsimming altogether for a few months, then come back to it. You sort of forget how good it is and how rewarding it can be at times.I haven't be on FS for a few months because my PC hard drive frigged up on me and I lost all my flight sim stuff, amongst the rest. I still like to check in every now and again and see how the community is getting on.Pyjamas

Guest Armstrang

I have been there with sailing, guitars, banjos, the flight sim, and other worthy pursuits. The fun is still there, but you can't see it now. It has slipped behind your mind. You will make an effort to find it again, or you might stumble over it one joyous day. Then again, you may never see it again. The harder you try, though, the more difficult it gets. Relax. Let it happen.That worked for me in all the activities I mentioned. I enjoy them all now, though I do take breaks. Well, I must confess: I gave up the banjo because of the death threats. But the others are alive and well.Just don't burn out.Ciao!

" Well, I must confess: I gave up the banjo because of the death threats." You know? Thats exactly the same reason I gave up playing myBagpipes :-badteeth Greetings from Buffalo..Snow Capitol of the UNIVERSE:-wave Denny

Guest dolb

I havn't had a 'real' FS Flight in several weeks, I spend most of my 'simming' time on Forums :(.I'm just bored with most of my add-ons, Waiting Until Feelthere's 737PIC.When is the last time you have been on a commercial airline flight? I've found I'm alot more interested in using FS after being on one :).

Flyking,As many before me have said - this happens. :) I am on my way BACK into simming after a few months off. Between real-world issues, moving to a new place, and many other things (Battlefield II included), simming took a backseat. The CH Yoke was actually sitting off my desk for a month+! It's perfectly normal to have your leisure activities change up. Don't worry about leaving the hobby - if aviation and simulation are truly in your blood, you WILL come back. You'll be driving down the road, see an airplane and say - hmm, I wonder where he's going. Or, you'll have to take a flight somewhere in real life and get excited again - maybe I can recreate the flight on the sim. Or, you might come back to the AVSIM forums and read that your favorite airplane/airport has been faithfully recreated in the simulation. WHATEVER the reason, I am almost certain that you'll return should you leave. Don't worry about it - we'll keep the left seat warm for 'ya!-Greg

Guest rmce

Yep, been there-felt this way as well.Was off sim about six months, but kept popping into Avsim to see what was happening.I saw Fs Passengers, thought I might try the free trial download, and three months later I am back, hooked like never before.Could be passengers is giving me a focus, an aim, and a good laugh!I am now back fixing up aircraft, into .cfg files, cursing over CG, and sweating that I land stupid, head banging complaining eejits that are so called passengers!I think we can get tied up in technicalities, tweaking all day long and not sim flying. Also, I had a major video card issue, which I resolved (went backwards!) and I eventually got round to trying a flight.Had to re-install Fs and in many cases go back to default.What I found was that in some ways I had tweaked the life out of my system, and killed the hobby. So, as I write this I am midway between Barcelona, to Manchester, on a very cold night, with 156 hungry moaning passengers wanting movies and entertainment.(g)I am using Schaefells 737-800 (no more about this one please! Its a cracking aircraft) and really enjoying the hobby again.So, it will come back....I have been with Fs2 since Bruce Artwick, and have left and returned repeatedly...Just stick with Avsim!

Guest koorby

Don't lose faith Flyking, there are many developers out there who aren't in it for the $$, but for the FUN! I'm one of them, and I've recently left a payware project and started a new exciting, community-driven FREEWARE project that will depict Australia within FS2004 in all the beautiful colours of the Great South Land. Check out some screenies I posted in the screenshot forum or click through on my sig below. Here's a quick sample:http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/koo...Weather_FX4.jpgThis will be out in December, and believe me, this addon will look, smell and feel like a polished $50 payware package, and will have NO bugs, a friendly user manual, a slick installer, a no-brainer switcher and a vibrant support base and community with a dedicated forum. It will also be the "hub" for many future freeware addons. I hope this is a model other addon developers around the world look at.And it will be FREE!Let's hope I can restore some faith in the "good old days" and convince you to fly down under and see some of the most STUNNING scenery you'll ever see in FS2004. Oh, and don't wait for FS10 - there's nothing radically new in that release (apart from bloom, bump mapping, reflections and a few DX9 tricks), and the base textures won't change either; another reason why our project will have longevity way beyond FS9.

Guest flight1

Exactly. I've did have the same problem like you said. FS wasn't the same anymore and I found myself browsing forums and dowloading add-ons rather than flying. I'm back after a 3 month break. And now I feel good as new. It's the same feeling I got when I first opened up my FS2004 box. Trust me, it works well. I completly stopped thinking about flying, for 3 months. I played other games, creative work, etc etc and then one day I just had the feeling to go back to flying and so I did. I guess ,it happens to everyone once in a while and its completely normal to take some time off. I couldn't agree more with what the other flight simmers had to say about how you eventually come back to flying if you have the interest and passion for flying like I do. I've seen my friends hate this game. But, those who love it, know whats behind it all. So, take some time off and come back in a while.. you'll feel a lot letter. Happy breakin'!