Sign in to follow this  
yellow5

Where Did the Fun Go?

Don't stress over it; let it run it's course. Realize that if you never sim again, that's ok. If you start again, that's ok too. Remember, what you want to do is more important than FS. Realize that tomorrow if you lost interest in chocolate pudding after years of enjoying it, would you be concerned?Yes, activation is for the birds. Developers have to protect themselves but that doesn't change the fact it sucks. It doesn't work with FS yet, but now I install programs to virtual machines so as long as I have a copy of the virtual machine, I have my program.And remember, there's some addons you enjoy for years and others you don't. It all evens out in the end. :)

Guest alg

> To summarise, I'm hoping that the next version will be>revolutionary rather than evolutionary. For me backwards>compatibility is not too important. I would prefer to see a>completely new and advanced flight simulator rather than just>an improvement of FS2004.I have to agree with this. I started out back with FS 5.1 and it seems to me as if FS98 was the pinnacle of the franchise. Improvements since then include the ATC and autogen, however scenery in general is terrible. For example, take a ride in a game like LO-MAC... the world in general is much more believable and more pleasant to look at than FS. Also, the virtual cockpits are superior to the default VCs in FS. Things like the lack of progress when it comes to VCs with poor quality (at best) for the default aircraft. Also lights are WAY too visible. Fly at night and you can see a tiny little running light from a 100 miles away with no problem; whats up with that?Personally I almost never sim fly anymore. As the OP pointed out, the simming community was just more fun in general with the prevailing attitude was mutual; everyone would work together to put out quality aircraft and scenery. Nowadays when it comes to freeware it is more like a group or a person will put a superior aircraft or panel, but not the other. In other words, you can download one of the best models of XYZ aircraft ever designed, but you are stuck using it with some hacked together panel. Or you get some accurately modeled panel but no good aircraft to go with it. In hindsight, the day the Project Freeware Group closed its doors was the day I started losing interest in the hobby.

Guest Gator40019

Flyking,It's been about a year for me. I got into scenery for a while. Then real life caught up and sent me on a ride... job, a move from New Jersey to AZ., and all the family stuff in between. *:-* The break was good though. I am getting more time now and hopefully will be flying all around the country more trying vatsim, and relearning gmax to create airports. I think we all try to sustain a level of interest that is way up there compaired to pc games. The fact that this is so close to the real life activity gets the mind going like no game in the fantasy genre.Hope all works out for you.

Guest abent

I agree...get into scenery design. It will re-new your interest in FS.I spend about 80% of my FS time designing, which makes the 20% flying all that more enjoyable.Adam

Guest crabster

Been there done that got the t-shirt too! It runs in cycles for me, right now I've rediscoverd Lock-On and so am putting alot of flight time into that. When I get the urge again, I'll fire up FS9 and take the ole B200 for a ride. Sometimes I just get away from flightsimming period for awhile, sort of like a vacation. Happens to us all. You'll be back when your ready :)

It's waiting for you at:http://www.hovercontrol.comLook at Jordan Moore's new freeware Bell 412 add-on. If you've ever had the slightest interest in heli flying, this one will grab you by the spine.Or, alternatively, http://www.virtualsoaring.org/Lose months of your life learning virtual soaring. Or shut off the computer and go find the real thing.As for being in the flight sim doldrums:"Why don't you get down off that cross you're on, use the wood to build a bridge, and get over it!" -C Titusor alternatively:"my advice to you is to drink heavily." -B BlutarskiOr as a last resort, "join the democratic party and share your depression and despair with lots of others!!" -A GoreCheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de ChileOK, Al Gore didn't really say that...he was too busy inventing the internet to say something that charmingly witty. :-hah

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I can see you have not lost complete interest. You are here at the Avsim forum talking about flightsim. I have been tinkering with flightsims since FS5, got a new computer and jumped to fs2000, then upgraded the computer again and have been running FS2002 and FS9 eversince. I see your frustration with addons. The thing with FS9 I have found is you have to keep up with everyone. I visit many different forums and get news on patches, how to use, items I did not know about, etc. This has helped me to get to know my FS9 inside and out. Allowing me to just sit back and enjoy the game.There are times I will take a break from FS9. I remember taking a break from FS9 and playing NASCAR Chase for the Cup. I even took time off to read a book or two. Some how or another I always come back to FS9 and enjoy every minute of it.Enjoy your sabatical from FS9. You may find yourself coming back and being satisfied with it or you may not come back to it at all. It is all about finding peace within ourselves and enjoying life. :DKevin