Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Newer...is necessarily better...

Right now, I'm in pause to post, but am flying around (Ketchikan), Alaska in v2.4

Gotta tell ya...water depiction in v3.4.9  (IMHO) is way inferior, compared to depiction in v2.4. at anything over 1,000 feet AGL. In fact, I think that v2.4 and/or v2.5 has the best rendering of ocean, lake, and river water depiction, in any P3D versions.  

Cheers,

I don't think that P3D has ever rendered water animation above 1000 feet all that well, and I started with v2.3.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Not quite as bad as you first thought though. 10 minutes ago you were far more vehement. :LMAO:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Not quite as bad as you first thought though. 10 minutes ago you were far more vehement. :LMAO:

...didn't want to see another post 'mysteriously' and quietly...er...disappear  ...you know?  Right...

I don't think that P3D has ever rendered water animation above 1000 feet all that well, and I started with v2.3.

Hi Chris,

...I do think that the best is still FSX with Steve's Fixer running in DX10.  Wave movements, driven by actual wind direction (a fabulous feature, Steve!!!!!) ...swells..moving visually, across the water. 

But..having said that...I feel that P3D v2.4 water depiction, gives the best that the P3D platform offers.  It comes closer to that FSX/DX10 viewpoint.  I just flew about an hour in and around PAKT, and it was a most enjoyable experience.  Like I said, loving water depictions the way I do, I still come back, time and time again, to v2.4, for a number of reasons.  In P3D, (personal opinion in play)  the latest version has not convinced me of being, way out in front, a game changer.

...I do think that the best is still FSX with Steve's Fixer running in DX10. Wave movements, driven by actual wind direction (a fabulous feature, Steve!!!!!) ...swells..moving visually, across the water.

But..having said that...I feel that P3D v2.4 water depiction, gives the best that the P3D platform offers. It comes closer to that FSX/DX10 viewpoint. I just flew about an hour in and around PAKT, and it was a most enjoyable experience. Like I said, loving water depictions the way I do, I still come back, time and time again, to v2.4, for a number of reasons. In P3D, (personal opinion in play) the latest version has not convinced me of being, way out in front, a game changer.

Could you take some pictures or video to share? I started in fsx, transitioned to P3D v1.x, v2 and now am running v3.3. I don't have any pictures or video of fsx or p3d v2 to look back upon. But I really don't think of the water in v3 as being bad at all. I think it looks pretty good. Granted, I have REX, shader modifiers and other add-ons in play.

Could you take some pictures or video to share? I started in fsx, transitioned to P3D v1.x, v2 and now am running v3.3. I don't have any pictures or video of fsx or p3d v2 to look back upon. But I really don't think of the water in v3 as being bad at all. I think it looks pretty good. Granted, I have REX, shader modifiers and other add-ons in play.

Sure, I can take some FSX/DX10/Fixer shots and of course, P3D v2.4.....but as always, what you see in the upload, isn't the full story as it plays out upon your screen. Upload resolution restrictions, the format you save in....jpg, whatever...all dilute the full screen over-the-shoulder actual...that sort of thing...but will take some, and then post for you.

Did you ever have FSX/DX10/Steve's DX10 Fixer, up and running?

But being that this is the P3D Forum, I will do that for you, and them post them to the Screen Shot Forum.

P3D v2.4/5 is still a very viable P3D platform solution, for those that are running it, and because of some less non-critical features that the v3.x has...has a performance advantage in the FPS generation.  I've seen that in the running of both versions, time and time, again.

Cheers,

Wave movements, driven by actual wind direction (a fabulous feature, Steve!!!!!) ...swells..moving visually, across the water.

Hi Mitch,

A minor correction to your comments:  Steve's DX10 Fixer only fixed DX10 Preview and does not add wave movements.  That's a feature exclusive of DX10 Preview https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2012/10/13/dx10-water-final-thoughts/.  If the application (i.e., FSX, FSX-SE) is programmed to use DX10 features, then you will see wave movements.  Steve's DX10 Fixer just fixes the anomalies found in DX10 Preview that the Microsoft Aces Team did not have time to perfect or fix. 

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Water in FSX using the DX10 Fixer looked worse than DX9 on my old PC. There were strange purple shaded areas, and the textures themselves looked static and bland. REX Sparkling water animation in DX9 mode in FSX is the best that I have ever seen.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Mitch,

A minor correction to your comments:  Steve's DX10 Fixer only fixed DX10 Preview and does not add wave movements.  That's a feature exclusive of DX10 Preview https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2012/10/13/dx10-water-final-thoughts/.  If the application (i.e., FSX, FSX-SE) is programmed to use DX10 features, then you will see wave movements.  Steve's DX10 Fixer just fixes the anomalies found in DX10 Preview that the Microsoft Aces Team did not have time to perfect or fix. 

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Oh..ok...thanks for the info.  I always thought that Steve programmed that in.  So, if that is actually in DX10....wind driven waves, Jim. Why does it not show up so very profoundly in DX11/P3D v.anyone?!?   Interesting.  This is one of the most attractive happenings in the virtual water...seeing the swells coming inland, or across the shoreline. Keeps drawing me back to FSX/DX10 quite frankly.  Neither my P3D v2.4 or v3.4.9 has this it seems. I can see the ocean swells at 2,800-3,500 feet in FSX/DX10/Steve. That is my usual VFR altitude range of operation.  I use to fly with a friend in his C182 all the time, before he retired and sold it for his fixed income living-budget concerns, there-after. He always flew in this range VFR, overland. I  mimic this now...brings back great memories.  I miss those weekend flights.  We had a deal. He owned the plane, and I paid for the fuel...so no right-seat 'leeching'. :)

Water in FSX using the DX10 Fixer looked worse than DX9 on my old PC. There were strange purple shaded areas, and the textures themselves looked static and bland. REX Sparkling water animation in DX9 mode in FSX is the best that I have ever seen.

That was a driver issue. I had that in one set of drivers,...and it was 16/32 bit color problems. For some reason, you were seeing FSX/DX10 displaying in 16 bit That is what you had Chris, and all it was.

I know exactly what you saw, and it was horrible.  If that is all you ever saw...then what a shame.  The water should have been different colors of blue according to water depth...and honestly, FSX/DX10/Steve in the Caribbean is simply breathtaking on a sunny day.   Add those wave swells between the islands...and especially since my having upgraded to the 1070/DSR2/33...OMG!   Truly real-world mimicry. The purple..and yes...that is exactly what you saw, as well as I, should have been rendered as sun-light sparkle, and water swathing.  If you could have switched to 32 bit manually, and re-run FSX/DX10/Steve's, all would have been rendered as it should have been visually. 

I could only wish for that mimicry in either of my P3D's.  L.M. has to work on their water/ water animation/sparkle/wave swell  graphic/animations.  I am mostly a VFR flyer.  To someone at FL270...perhaps this is not on the top of their list....

I certainly can't argue that FSX renders water at altitude far better than P3D, particularly with REX enhancement. Unfortunately, those same REX enhancements do not work in P3D, and the superior texture contrast when compared to default actually makes the water look worse (because the textures are static).

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I certainly can't argue that FSX renders water at altitude far better than P3D, particularly with REX enhancement. Unfortunately, those same REX enhancements do not work in P3D, and the superior texture contrast when compared to default actually makes the water look worse (because the textures are static).

...so, no out?   :sad:

P3D v2.4

Here are (water at HIGH setting) water/wave/swell shots at take off out of seaplane base in Ketchikan.  The last two show ocean swells still at 2,400 feet and climbing.  

Note.  I had to reduce output by 10 percent to meed upload requirements:  Left click with your mouse twice on each picture to bring up to full view.  Better details for sure.

2016_9_24_3_59_18_248.png

2016_9_24_3_59_45_274.png

2016_9_24_3_59_53_669.png

2016_9_24_4_0_9_357.png

2016_9_24_4_0_16_234.png

2016_9_24_4_0_33_137.png

2016_9_24_4_0_41_714.png

2016_9_24_4_1_46_84.png

...and finally for comparison for topic, same area fly over's...in FSX/DX10/Steve's Fixer

Truthfully, this processing of water textures eclipses the P3D platform, but is my personal opinion.  As always, that has to be stated.

So, Ketchikan for comparison on thread, within stated platform; Ocean action, and swells out in the channel can easily be seen, lacking in all P3D renditions, sorry to note. The swells, are also animated, and do move with the wind direction. So very cool!

Same thing, double-click left hand mouse button on each picture to bring up to the max I could upload. All pictures had to be reduced by 30 percent size to upload.

2016_9_24_4_31_10_737.png

2016_9_24_4_33_30_455.png

2016_9_24_4_42_19_102.png

2016_9_24_4_42_47_883.png

2016_9_24_4_43_0_805.png

2016_9_24_4_44_28_236.png

2016_9_24_4_53_35_645.png

2016_9_24_4_54_5_782.png

2016_9_24_4_54_34_318.png

2016_9_24_4_55_32_344.png

2016_9_24_4_55_46_573.png

2016_9_24_4_56_2_574.png

2016_9_24_4_56_31_315.png

2016_9_24_4_56_40_173.png

2016_9_24_4_57_31_805.png

2016_9_24_4_57_45_865.png

2016_9_24_4_58_6_474.png

2016_9_24_4_58_17_292.png

2016_9_24_4_58_24_893.png

2016_9_24_4_58_32_322.png

Consider your request as completed.  :hi:

Oh..ok...thanks for the info. I always thought that Steve programmed that in. So, if that is actually in DX10....wind driven waves, Jim. Why does it not show up so very profoundly in DX11/P3D v.anyone?!? Interesting. This is one of the most attractive happenings in the virtual water...seeing the swells coming inland, or across the shoreline. Keeps drawing me back to FSX/DX10 quite frankly. Neither my P3D v2.4 or v3.4.9 has this it seems. I can see the ocean swells at 2,800-3,500 feet in FSX/DX10/Steve.

This has been discussed here before.  Make sure real weather is active and you have windy conditions.  There's a certain height it will not appear in P3D as I think I recall someone stating it is not realistic above a certain altitude.  I will try to find previous discussions.  I personally really have not had the time to check this feature out in P3D.

From what I have found so far from LM, water becomes 3D when the water slider is set to ultra and mesh resolution is 1M.  Tessellation should be on max.  Here's an NVIDIA video of how tessellation is used with water - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G9anRoYGko.  Of course you need special effects turned on.  You need good weather effects to make the waves work too.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

^ As Jim said. Water needs to be on ultra with tessellation enabled - wave height and direction will then be determined based on wind / weather.

Here is are a few captures (water is using REX Set 19 - photoreal):

water5.jpgwater1.jpgwater4.jpgwater3.jpgwater2.jpg

This has been discussed here before.  Make sure real weather is active and you have windy conditions.  There's a certain height it will not appear in P3D as I think I recall someone stating it is not realistic above a certain altitude.  I will try to find previous discussions.  I personally really have not had the time to check this feature out in P3D.

From what I have found so far from LM, water becomes 3D when the water slider is set to ultra and mesh resolution is 1M.  Tessellation should be on max.  Here's an NVIDIA video of how tessellation is used with water -

.  Of course you need special effects turned on.  You need good weather effects to make the waves work too.

Best regards,

Jim

Right...about not be realistic above a certain height....that is actually what we are talking about.  You need Ultra to see it, whereas you can see wave action as depicted well above 3,000 feet in the v2.x series, and of course as i show in FSX/DX10...even at 2,400 feet.  Also, for some, running in Ultra really brings their FPS variable down. 

Cheers! :)