Sign in to follow this  
cindebad

FSX CTD window.dll

Hello captains

I use FSX for 5 years and i NEVER had any CTD

but this time i have a very annoying fatal error

here is what i found in event viewer

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: window.dll, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb59
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00004d08
Faulting process id: 0x85208
Faulting application start time: 0x01d216a38fdcfe39
Faulting application path: C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\window.dll
Report Id: 47855c72-8298-11e6-ab99-6cf049c039c0

in AVSIM CTD guide it says that i have to reinstall my video card driver

i have the WHQL driver never install beta

i reinstalled my video card driver but i still have this CTD

i installed the latest video card driver WHQL from NVIDIA website but no good result

my UIAutomationCore.dll version is 6.0.5840.16386

I have windows7 64bit

8Gb of RAM

all my aircrafts and scenery or 3rd party add-ons are the same in every time i install FSX nothing new into my hangar

PMDG B737/B777

CS B767

MADDOG MD82

PRO/ATCX

PFPX

TOPCAT

DX10 Scenery Fixer-SteveFX

i always have this CTD when i touchdown or when i want to T/O (Payware or defult aircraft)

Can someone help me please

i always have this CTD when i touchdown or when i want to T/O (Payware or defult aircraft)

Do you have the highmemfix=1 in the Graphics section of your fsx.cfg?

The uiautomationcore.dll only fixes issues with the fsx menu (and I doubt that really happens) and right clicking.  If you click on FSX menu (right click on a panel) and do this 19 times, the uiautomationcore.dll will prevent a crash.  It is a good placebo making many feel good they have it in their FSX folder.  I have never "knowingly" used it and have always gone the extra mile to look in my FSX folder to make sure it is not there.  The uiautomationcore.dll is part of the Microsoft.net package(s).  So, putting any version of the uiautomationcore.dll in your main FSX folder (the 16386 or the 18000 versions) will most likely not work.  I say most likely because anytime you change the way FSX starts up can possibly stop a CTD you are having.  It will come back.  I wish there was one "holy grail" that fixes all crashes in FSX but the uiautomationcore.dll is definitely not it.  I would try running FSX w/o it in your main fsx folder.  Many members here in these forums have removed the uiautomationcore.dll and their crashes stopped.  I have proven beyond any doubt that the uiautomationcore.dll does not work.  Here, in these forums, like you, members are reporting a CTD or freeze and their crash report shows they have the uiautomationcore.dll in their main FSX folder.  Why didn't it stop their CTD's or freezes?  It's a placebo and it works well as a placebo! 

The CTD guide provided some valuable information about the Window.dll error and what the window.dll does in FSX.  When I was searching the Internet for fixes at all of the flight simulation site, most fixed it by reinstalling or installing the WHQL version of their graphic card drivers.  I could find no other possible solutions so they are not there.  I just did a search again and still I see no other solutions to this error.  Okay, a suggestion was made to remove your overclock but the person who had the problem never came back and said whether that fixed the problem or not so I do not consider that a solution.  Heck, reinstalling Windows and FSX would fix it too!  Not good advice.

Do you think you have an aircraft (default or commercial) or airport scenery (default or commercial) that was made for FS9 and is calling the windows.dll to initiate a process and the window.dll cannot make that call?  I would suspect scenery more than an aircraft because a lot of members own the PMDG stuff, CS, Maddog, and Topcat and this error is very rarely reported.  We really don't know what program is calling for the window.dll.

One of the reasons I wrote the CTD guide was not to post solutions to errors like the ntdll.dll or stackhash or window.dll, but to provide some guidance on how to fix your problem (because only you can fix this problem). 

First of all, I would remove the uiautomationcore.dll and place it in a temporary folder.  See if that fixes the problem.

The next suggestion would be to go to page 10 of the AVSIM CTD Guide and follow the instructions on "How to fix Most Freezes/Crashes".  Start out with the first suggestion and go back to your default configuration.  If moving the fsx.cfg, scenery.cfg, dll.xml (if you have it) and exe.xml (if you have it) to a temporary directory and restart FSX.  This should fix the problem but you want to use the scenery and the aircraft you want to use for your flight session.  Move the scenery.cfg that was in the temporary folder back to where the scenery.cfg is located and replace the one you had rebuilt.  Now restart FSX and see if this stopped the crash.  If so, then it is not the scenery that is causing the problem.  Next move the dll.xml and exe.xml over to where they belong in FSX and restart FSX.  If no problems, then it was your fsx.cfg that had a corrupted entry or tweak that was causing your issues.  If the crash occurs again when you moved the dll.xml and exe.xml back over to your fsx program, then it is one of the modules that was loaded at startup.  You then have to start the process of finding out which module is bad and that is shown in the guide on pages 12 and 13.

The chapter on how to fix most crashes also suggests running the system file checker (on page 14) and scan your system for corrupt or missing files.  Bad drivers for your hardware are another cause of crashes and updating them is another suggestion.

Hope this helps.  I wish I could tell you to simply change a parameter in your fsx.cfg and this would fix it but it is not that easy.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

First of all thank you Jim for your fast replay

For your question about HIGHMEMFIX=1 yes i have this tweak in my fsx.cfg and i dont overclock my cpu

Now u will take your advice and i will delete uiautomationcore.dll from my FSX directory and see if this gonna help me

Do you think should i remove uiautomationcore.dll from SysWOW64

yes i have this tweak in my fsx.cfg and i dont overclock my cpu

The highmemfix is a fix and not a tweak.  Microsoft forgot to add it in the fsx.cfg when they released Acceleration/SP2.

Do you think should i remove uiautomationcore.dll from SysWOW64

No.  It is a Windows system file.  You should never ever delete Windows System files.  As I stated it is part of the Microsoft.net package which must be installed on your computer.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

OK I can confirme the following facts about this CTD

It only occurs on ground on the runway NEVER at the apron or airborn

I deleted fsx.cfg and restarted fsx to rebuild a new fsx.cfg

But that didn't fix the problem

I have a backup of my XML file

So I will enable my add-on one by one to fine the faulty module

There's a module that doesn't like you taking off.  Do you have the fsuipc module?  Do you have the throttle keys programmed in it?  If you do have the fsuipc module, it has been known to take down FSX if it is not the proper version or the programming of any controllers.

Submit News to AVSIM

Do you have the fsuipc module?  Do you have the throttle keys programmed in it?  If you do have the fsuipc module, it has been known to take down FSX if it is not the proper version or the programming of any controllers.

Yes i have the FSUIPC module in my dll.xml

this is my dll.xml file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">

<Descr>Launch</Descr>

<Filename>dll.xml</Filename>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>

<Disabled>True</Disabled>

<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>

<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>

<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>

<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>FSTramp</Name>

<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\FSTramp\FSTramp.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Mastero</Name>

<Path>Modules\Mastero.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>IvAp</Name>

<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\IVAO\IvAp v2\ivap_fsx_bootstrap.dll</Path>

<Commandline/>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Dbs WalkAndFollow</Name>

<DLLStartName>module_init</DLLStartName>

<DLLStopName>module_deinit</DLLStopName>

<Path>Dbs\Dbs.waf.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>FS Recorder</Name>

<Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\FS Recorder for FSX\FSRecorder_FSX.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>PMDG Interface</Name>

<Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_Interface.dll</Path>

<DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>

<DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>PMDG Options</Name>

<Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDGOptions.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>PMDG Events</Name>

<Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDGEvents.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>PMDG Sounds</Name>

<Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDGSounds.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Captain Sim Menu</Name>

<Path>Captain_Sim\Captain_Sim.b757.menu.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Captain Sim 757 Sound</Name>

<Path>Captain_Sim\757\cs.sound.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Captain Sim Menu</Name>

<Path>Captain_Sim\Captain_Sim.b767.menu.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Captain Sim 767 Sound</Name>

<Path>Captain_Sim\767\cs.sound.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Maddog 2008</Name>

<Path>C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\LeonardoSH.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>PMDG HUD interface</Name>

<Path>PMDG\DLLs\PMDG_HUD_interface.dll</Path>

<DllStartName>module_init</DllStartName>

<DllStopName>module_deinit</DllStopName>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>FSUIPC 4</Name>

<Path>Modules\FSUIPC4.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

</SimBase.Document>

My FSUIPC version is 4.955 and i don't use it to configure my controllers

And this is my exe.xml file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">

<Descr>Launch</Descr>

<Filename>exe.xml</Filename>

<Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>

</SimBase.Document>

My FSUIPC version is 4.955 and i don't use it to configure my controllers

Sounds good.  Just making sure.  You have a lot of old programs (which is okay as they were made for FSX) but any one of them could be the cause of your crashes.  I would only enable the ones you need for your flight session.  No need for the FSUIPC4 module so I would disable that.  If you are using the PMDG aircraft, I would leave those enabled and disable all of the rest.

But first, did you move your dll.xml over to a temporary folder, restarted FSX to see if this stopped the crashes?  Did you move the scenery.cfg to a temporary folder and let the config be rebuilt and then checked to see if this fixed the problem?  If moving the dll.xml or the scenery.cfg to a temporary folder did not stop the crashes, then there is no use even disabling any of the modules.  There's something else wrong with your computer and FSX.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

But first, did you move your dll.xml over to a temporary folder, restarted FSX to see if this stopped the crashes?  Did you move the scenery.cfg to a temporary folder and let the config be rebuilt and then checked to see if this fixed the problem?  If moving the dll.xml or the scenery.cfg to a temporary folder did not stop the crashes, then there is no use even disabling any of the modules.  There's something else wrong with your computer and FSX.

Best regards,

Jim

I have some good news for the moment

I have move my fsx.cfg and DLL.XML and exe.XML and scenery.cfg to a temporary file and I have restarted my fsx to rebuild the fsx.cfg and be in a default config

No CTD at this stage

So I removed my scenery.cfg and no CTD

the next step I removed the DLL.XML file and reanabled the modules one by one and no CTD

The last step was to removed the exe.XML and no more CTD at the moment

So I think there was something wrong with my fsx.cfg file

I will continue my tests to be sure

So I think there was something wrong with my fsx.cfg file

Most problems are created in the FSX.cfg because many put tweaks that have the wrong parameters and it gets corrupted over time.  I do not believe in tweaks.  Not with today's powerful systems.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

After 2 days of testing i can confirm my problem was in fsx.cfg

i don't know what was the problem but after creating a new fsx.cfg i didn't face the CTD anymore

i use a tool to control my fsx.cfg (FSX.cfg Tool-Medicine Show Software) this was the first time and i believe something wrong happened to my fsx.cfg 

i usually use these tweaks for my system for a long time so i don't think the problem was from my tweaks

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048

[DISPLAY]

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30

[TERRAIN]

LOD_RADIUS=3.500000

[Main]

DisablePreload=1
HideInfoText=1
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15

[sCENERY]
SmallPartRejectRadius=4.0

LOD_RADIUS=3.500000

This is not a tweak.  You can get 3.5 by moving your LOD Radius slider to the left in the FSX settings.  It's a tweak if you have it set above 4.5.  I have never seen 3.500000 as the parameter.  Just 3.5 is needed.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

OK Now Finally i discovered the REALLY cause for this specific CTD 

The faulting module was in my case window.dll

and this crash ONLY happen on runway (T/O or Landing)

so there is a process that call this window.dll on runway and somehow this process failed so i have this CTD

4 moths ago i have installed a small script (For the first time) into my modules folder in FSUIPC.ini file to display my landing rate (FPM)

A small window appear after touchdown showing me my landing rate and i believe this script is faulty so THIS IS THE REALLY CAUSE for this CTD 

i removed this script and that's it no more CTD for this week :smile:  :smile:  :smile: 

I just want thank Jim Youn for his help and his fast repose to my topic

I think it is awesome how you investigated the issues and found the cause of the crash.  There is absolutely no way I or anyone else could have diagnosed this crash as we would not have known about the script you wrote.  I suppose if you disabled the FSUIPC from loading you and the crashes stopped, then I or someone else could have stated the issue is in your FSUIPC.dll.  That's why it is difficult for me and others to diagnose these stupid crashes and why I decided to put out a CTD guide to help one investigate.

Thanks for reporting the solution to your problem.  I hope you can now get back to enjoying your flight sessions.  BTW, I just experienced a "stopped responding" crash myself.  Will have to try the same route and see if it happens again. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM