Sign in to follow this  
lennie

Flight plan loaded, then during flight, i want to change destination airport...

Hi

Just a stupid question maybe, but I take off in FSX without really checking destination weather, although i have the flight plan in AS16. So along the route i tune in 122.02 and get a 900 ft overcast. So I program the GTN 750 for another airport where i think weather may be better and hit direct to. So without stopping the sim, how can i get the weather at the new intended destination?

I look at add-ons and there are some AS16 options but not one for the new airport.

Anyone have an idea??

[ps. I know that my primary flight instructor would kill me for planning a flight to 900' overcast!!]

cheers

Lennie

Should be able to go to 'Conditions' screen and type in the airport code for the new destination.

Ernest Pergrem

Where do i find "conditions" screen while flying? I have to open AS16 somehow without closing FSX? Thanks!

Hi,

AS16 should already be open although it may be minimized, or hidden by FSX. 

You may have to pause FSX, maximize AS16, input your new airport code, etc. if you're not on autopilot.

'Conditions' will be one choices on the top screen selection menu, along with WX Control, etc.

BTW, this will probably be more difficult if you are flying full screen rather than windowed mode.

FWIW, The ideal solution for always having visible access to AS16 is to throw it on a second computer.

Ernest Pergrem

Ok that is much clearer now! Greatly appreciate it! I have FSX spread over 3 - 24in ASUS monitors, and yes AS is running underneath. So will see what a pause, and bringing up AS will do. I think another computer is out of the question for now.

Take care and thanks!!

Or you can go into the sim's world-map menu and find the ATIS frequency at the alternate and tune in

Jay

Yep i can do that. Also with GTN 750 I can click the new arrival airport and get the ATIS; what i really hoped to find was a simple way to reset AS16 to the new destination and visually see the weather. GTN and AS are a great combination! Adds so much to FSX simming!

Have you tried inputting the new destination into the flight plan and recalculating the plan? Should be able to tune 122.025 and get destination weather then. You could also install Xgauge into the aircraft and pop it up to get the additional info.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hey Vic,

Input new plan into the GTN750 or AS? If into the GTN and get the ATIS, that's good. But the AS weather will not show the weather at the new arrival airport, will it? I am a bit new at this AS stuff, but i sure like it!!

You could go to the flight planner and create a new flight with the new destination-when asked if you want to move your aircraft click no. Then load the new flight plan into AS2016.

Would that work?

Jay

The ATIS weather is keyed off the plan in AS so just changing the plan in the GTN won't do it.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thats what i figured. So i guess i have to pause the flight, bring up AS16 and input the new destination.

The ATIS weather is keyed off the plan in AS so just changing the plan in the GTN won't do it.

Vic

I meant changing the plan in the sim flight planner

Jay

Unless you load the NEW plan into AS16, you will not get the AS16 ATIS on 122.025

Vic

Mmm, just installed AS16 today. So... are you saying that I will not get accurate live weather if I jump into my plane and fly off cross-country without a flight plan?? ASN seemed to be able to do that, I never used its flight plan feature.

I think I'll have to read the manual!