Sign in to follow this  
red259

switching from MS FSX to FSX-SE

I put my PMDG installation DVD I copied when I downloaded the 777 update and reinstalled. You want to record the Email address you used as well as the verification number in the email PMDG sent you to install in the first place. Many, yours truly included have erased Emails with that number by mistake. The order # is not the number I'm talking about. The order # is needed to retrieve the verification number I believe, from support. Clean install for some reason seem to work well, many files get corrupted over time IMHO.

Baldy

I put my PMDG installation DVD I copied when I downloaded the 777 update and reinstalled. You want to record the Email address you used as well as the verification number in the email PMDG sent you to install in the first place. Many, yours truly included have erased Emails with that number by mistake. The order # is not the number I'm talking about. The order # is needed to retrieve the verification number I believe, from support. Clean install for some reason seem to work well, many files get corrupted over time IMHO.

Baldy

Yea the pmdg stuff I was able to log into my pmdg account. My dash 8 I bought from fspilot or something and now they want me to pay additional money to be able to redownload something I bought already. I'm hoping I have the download file for the dash 8 somewhere on my computer. I havent bothered with my airports yet because I'm thinking they are a major cause of my OOM and maybe I would be better off not using addon airports with the higher quality jets. Its a shame we have to choose between features, but since most of the time I am in the air the airport isn't super important I guess. The question is to I buy Obrx NA LC or will that cause me problems with VAS. That might take the sting out of using default airports.  

.... That might take the sting out of using default airports.  ...

If it comes down to that you may want to try freeware airports. Not so much for any desire for increased eye candy and immersion factor, but more the fact that on the whole people have updated the defaults so that the runways appear in the correct place with correct numbers etc.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

If it comes down to that you may want to try freeware airports. Not so much for any desire for increased eye candy and immersion factor, but more the fact that on the whole people have updated the defaults so that the runways appear in the correct place with correct numbers etc.

Isn't there some sort of add-on that is a runway updater? I am going to get the latest navdata? 

I think the add-on(s) you're on about will be found here:-

http://www.aero.sors.fr/

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Hi guys, I think of doing the same (I have arround 60 Gb worth of addons installed atm). Just one thing: Is there any noticable perfromance incease?  If it won´t be for an substantial performance increase, I will refrain from doing so.

SE is less susceptible to OOMs I believe. That may be classed as a substantial increase to some

Mark Robinson

SE is less susceptible to OOMs I believe. That may be classed as a substantial increase to some

To be honest I never used process explorer on the boxed FSX Pro I still have. I only remember a few OOM's. Most likely because I never used any addons beyond PMDG. I always suffered from less than stellar frame rates. But that boxed version was flyable, never suffered from stutters like a buddy of mine did, aircraft don't come to a complete stop on the runway while taking off, etc. The machine I'm using now is NOT the best gaming rig one can build! I understand all of that because other guy's had me build extremely high end, high cost too, machines that did a much better job than the average machine.

I'm using Asus SaberTooth v.1 with an AMD 8350 I picked up for $100.00 at a computer show. 8GB of GSkil 1866 Ram. I put a big Corsair H100 self contained water cooler. An AMD R390 4 gig vid card. In my humble opinion the addition of a Sandisk 490 GB SSD made a ton of difference. This thing boots like in 5-6 seconds, files load so much faster. When you boot up steams FSX the little status bar loading the works is way, way faster, it doesn't crawl across the dialog box like it used to. The aircraft is at the gate in about 1/4 the time. The darn SSD costs almost as much as the whole rest of the rig.

Having said all that. I can tell you I have never had such a great result running a version of FSX.

Installing Steams version of FSX seems to cure a lot of VAS problems. Now I can and did install some addons beyond PMDG. Some Rex Soft Clouds and ASN, steams versions yes. I also installed Aivlasofts Electronic Flight Bag, only made 1 flight but I like it. It is a pretty complete package even for guy's who fly online. It links up nicely with Vatsim and the one for Europe. When you do a Steam only install the folders are all FSX, NOT FSX-SE.

We all have different rigs and all so my results differ from others, that,s why we have forums I guess. It is nice to listen to other opinions or conclusions.

Baldy

Edited by BaldyB
  • Upvote 1

havent bothered with my airports yet because I'm thinking they are a major cause of my OOM and maybe I would be better off not using addon airports with the higher quality jets.

That's a wise decision. Went to Steam a few months ago and was impressed until I loaded my tons of eye candy then I was having the same performance battles as before. I uninstalled every thing that would not work from an external storage SSD such as my COUTI mega size airports. Pegged my FPS at 20, now she runs smooth as butter. That's PMDG jets with AS16 ,OPUS, and ORBYX  GLOBEL, VECTOR, and North America Land Class. Those big airports are nice, but not worth the frustration of landing in a slide show.  

Vic green

havent bothered with my airports yet because I'm thinking they are a major cause of my OOM and maybe I would be better off not using addon airports with the higher quality jets.

That's a wise decision. Went to Steam a few months ago and was impressed until I loaded my tons of eye candy then I was having the same performance battles as before. I uninstalled every thing that would not work from an external storage SSD such as my COUTI mega size airports. Pegged my FPS at 20, now she runs smooth as butter. That's PMDG jets with AS16 ,OPUS, and ORBYX  GLOBEL, VECTOR, and North America Land Class. Those big airports are nice, but not worth the frustration of landing in a slide show.  

Interesting. Then I may make the jump and pick up NA LC (not sure if I really need vector). So Far I am using PMDG & FSLabs planes with AS Next/Rex soft clouds and FTX global without issue. I also am starting to run GSX for pushback etc. No problems yet. I do have one or two Orbx airports that I was able to use in the past without having OOM issues, so maybe I will look into adding those. I am thinking about installing all my payware airports but then not loading them into the simulator. I can still use them on some other payware aircraft that don't push my VAS limit like the Dash 8 or cessna trainer even the 737ngx can take a lot before going OOM. The 777 not so much though. 

Hi guys, I think of doing the same (I have arround 60 Gb worth of addons installed atm). Just one thing: Is there any noticable perfromance incease?  If it won´t be for an substantial performance increase, I will refrain from doing so.

I installed FSX-SE on my new build and I prefer it to the boxed version as it seems smoother, overall. Luckily, I've never had OOM problems but SE has supposedly helped with those. However, as far as performance is concerned, SE doesn't seem significantly better to me than the boxed version (which worked well for me on my old rig). There was a lot of hype when it was released about "double the frame rates", but I think that a lot of the perception that it's much faster comes from running it without all the baggage (and "tweaks") that your old installation accumulated over the years. I always found that a clean install of FSX-MS seemed much faster than a well-used one.

Buy it for the convenience and OOM handling improvements. However, if your system struggles with performance with the boxed edition, with exactly the same hardware and add-ons, it will probably still struggle with SE (but perhaps not quite as much).

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I think that a lot of the perception that it's much faster comes from running it without all the baggage (and "tweaks") that your old installation accumulated over the years. I always found that a clean install of FSX-MS seemed much faster than a well-used one.

I tested the boxed version with my new Sandisk SSD first. I then read about Steams improved Vas and how it seemed to run better along side of the boxed version, I said to myself, for a few lousy bucks, why not give it a shot. I saw a modest improvement in performance. MS was getting to be a pain in the you know what with respect to Windows 10. I had downloaded the ISO from MS and decided to try it. I believe in clean installs. The boxed version was always installed in C:\FSX., I didn't care for the FSX and added FSX-SE folders etc. That's when I decided to try a clean Steam install as long as I was setting up a new OS (Win 10). That tells me my situations performances had nothing to do with file degradation, just don't see it.

In any event I ain't going back. The MS FSX box is on the shelf and will remain their for the duration.

Baldy

• Upvote 1

Happy flying!! :cool:

Mark Robinson