Sign in to follow this  
dotalot24

Big upgrade, advice needed.

Hi everyone,  I have just recently got back into simming after a few years away.   My current system was built in 2010, it is running on windows 7 64bit, has an older I7 920 and two Ati 1gb gpu's.  I have my software running from a Samsung 1tb sshd.

I have decided since I am really enjoying simming again, to invest in a major upgrade so as to run fsx / p3d as best as possible within my budget. 

Today I ordered an I7 4790k, msi gaming 5 motherboard and an msi gtx1080 graphics card.

Its been a very long time since I was last involved with working on PC's to this level and I'm just looking for some advice on how to proceed with the upgrade when the parts arrive.

My intention at the moment is to try and install the components without having to format my hard drive.   I have read about an "out of the box" mode which after running and shutting down before upgrading, apparently will allow the computer to boot from my sshd and install the necessary drivers.   Has anyone done or attempted this before??   (ofcourse I will be making back ups and have a win7 installation usb stick at the ready just incase)

Be interested to hear how you guys would go about the upgrade.

Many thanks, Kieron

I picked that processor because it's single core performance is better, it has a reputation for great overclockability, and looking at the benchmarks the skylake's perform only marginally better.

But regardless of why I chose it, it's on its way now.

• Upvote 1

The 4790K is not faster than the 6700K in single core performance (the benchmark you're thinking of was wrong), but being the owner of a 4790K clocked at 4.8 Ghz, I will say that they can be very overclockable (depending on variables such as motherboard, cooling, memory etc).  I went with the 4790K last year right after the Skylakes came out... they were stupid expensive and I got the 4790K new from Fry's for $275.  Also, I've built five 6700K based systems in the past year, one for P3D, and I don't regret saving money on my 4790K.

The out-of-box experience was really intended for folks who are selling/gifting (legitimately) a computer and don't want any of their "fingerprints" on the OS.  The OS boots the first time after configured for OOB ready to receive new ownership data from the next person to own the computer.  Why don't you want to do a fresh install of the OS and programs?  Easy enough to do with the back-ups you mentioned...  Also, can you afford an SSD for the OS and programs?  The Sammy SSHD is fine, but a Sammy SSD is... more fine. :smile:

Greg

Thanks, yes either way its bought and paid for now.   I have read lots of good things about it, and however it compares it will be quite a step up from my 6 year old gen 1.   I've good a good watercooling system so hopefully I will be able to get a similar result.  Apologies, used the wrong terminology, I did mean 1tb SSD.

Ahh ok, I was just in the mindset that if I could get away without a full reinstallation of my software, that it would be a bit easier.  Thought if I could get windows to boot and just install the new drivers that it would save me a lot of time.  However if its not going to work as well as a clean start, then its not going to cause any major headaches for me, just a little more work.  

Thanks, Kieron

I picked that processor because it's single core performance is better, it has a reputation for great overclockability, and looking at the benchmarks the skylake's perform only marginally better.

But regardless of why I chose it, it's on its way now.

Skylake is about 6% faster...

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790K/3502vs2384

You probably looked at CPU Boss, that only compares CPU to CPU, and doesn't take into consideration all of the other aspects of the new platform, like the superior RAM for example. 6% doesn't seem like a lot, and not surprising really, as it's only one generation behind and gains from new architectures are smaller these days.

Skylake brings lots of other advantages though, like USB 3.1, NFC, M.2, super fast U.2, faster higher density RAM etc. The 6700K also overclocks, on average, with decent cooling, between 4.6 and 4.8 GHz. Delidding yields even better results.

But yes, as you say, you've ordered the 4790K now, so if you don't wish the return them and reorder Skylake, I'm sure you will be very happy with your new rig.

My intention at the moment is to try and install the components without having to format my hard drive.

It can be done. The procedure is to uninstall all old motherboard software first. Namely chipset drivers and mother board software. Also graphics card drivers. Anything that won't be included in your new system and is likely to cause a conflict. Install old HD into new system and then install all new motherboard and graphics card software. Then reactivate Windows.

For your main PC though, I wouldn't advise it. If you have an issue, it's another variable to consider. You need to know you have a fresh install with no old stuff to complicate matters. Pristine installation is the way to go. No point trying to cut corners.

Thanks for the advice. 

One more question, I currently use windows 7 which I like and am familiar with.   Is there any benefit to be had in switching to a newer version?

I built recently and went for W10 Pro.

Quite like it actually. But then again, I don't sim much these days, so any issues with the sim and W10 aren't an issue for me.