Sign in to follow this  
WillsB3

Feature Request: Adaptive Bloom

Hi KNOSSOS,

Thanks for your amazing work on PTA - it's transformed the sim!

I've been thinking about this for a while and thought I'd share the idea incase you thought it would make a good feature. When I fly night flights I like to have quite a bit more bloom enabled so that the streetlights look more natural, -: if they are actually emitting light. The additional bloom also makes the sunset colours of the sky textures look a little more saturated and spectacular too which is an added benefit :).

However, running this much bloom in the day time results in a washed out/overly bright scene.

Would it be possible for PTA to implement some sort of adaptive bloom control so that users can set a daytime and nighttime bloom setting and then the sim tweens between these two values according to the time of day?

Ttime of day might be incorrect terminology here, as the darkness depends on day of the year and also lat/long, but the general principal still stands. Is it possible for PTA to know the amount of sunlight and therefore know the exact "phase" of day (presunset/sunset/postsunset etc).

Many thanks for the excellent tool again.

Wills

Wills

Hello, Wills!
Your feature request pretty specific to add new separate tweak. You can solve the task by manual editing shader \PostProcess\HDR.hlsl.
After PTA preset applying find string

bloom *= BloomMagnitude;

and replace it with string

bloom *= BloomMagnitude * 5 * (1 - cb_mLights[SUN_LIGHT].mDiffuse.g);

and 5 please adjust to your needs.

(Save the file and clear shaders cache).

Also today I upload new minor release of PTA (1.6) with ability to use expressions with shared shaders variables as a post-process parameter. 

Maybe you also will find it useful

http://1coder.ru/PTA/releases.html

Hi Yuri

Thanks for the tips - really great that this is already possibly via manual shader edits :)

I agree that my request is quite specific :). However having to do this tweak manually each time the preset is changed is a bit frustrating. Would you consider adding some sort mechanism that can apply these sorts of manual overrides when applying shader tweaks for cases like this where you think a specific tweak doesn't warrent it's own dedicated control in the user interface? Perhaps some sort of automatic find and replace mechanism would be sufficient?

The new functionality for using expressions within shader variables looks really great. What if you added a bloom slider/textfield that allowed expressions?

Many thanks for your response and your continued work on the tool. 

Best,

Wills

Wills

Perhaps, tool needs UI redesign to allow espressions in all tweaks. Thank you, Wills, for suggestions!

Kind regards,

hope I didn't just make you lots more work haha!

Thanks again!

I'm trying to find optimal balance to invest time to a free tool that based on constantly changing sim. LOL  :smile:

whats adaptive bloom? forgive my ignorance on the subject

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.