Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Definitely an increase in performance with P3Dv3.4

Just completed a flight from FSDT KORD (Chicago) to FlightBeam's KIAD HD (Wash Dulles) and the flight was like night and day in comparison to previous versions of Prepar3D.  I flew the PMDG 777 and had AS16 enabled.  I had Megascenery Ultra Hi-Res scenery enabled for Chicago and in the Wash, Maryland, and Virginia area.  In between I had GEP3D enabled (which has optimized textures).  This was the same scenario for previous flights.  I monitored and logged VAS via the FSUIPC module.  FPS were set at unlimited which is different from flights from previous versions as I had to lock the fps at 30 to maintain smoothness.

Previous flights from KORD-KIAD resulted in the amount of VAS to dramatically drop when on final at KIAD, from 1100000 down to 250 - 500 MB's depending on the weather (I had saved the FSUIPC reports but they are no longer there for some reason so much of this is based on memory).  Most flights it was a slide show on arrival and some resulted in OOM's on final or on the taxiway.  In Chicago, there was a lot of stuttering and fps were extremely low until I departed and got out of the Chicago area.  Then fps and vas would start rising again until I reached my destination.  So, bottom line, no fun.  I thought I would have to wait until I upgraded from Haswell to the latest chipset before flying this route again.  But, today, here are the results:

Minimum frame rate was 6.5 fps (not sure where this happened as most of the time fps were well above 30 fps), Maximum was 157.5 fps
Minimum available memory recorded was 1204Mb (or 1269872)
Average frame rate for running time of 7489 secs = 39.5 fps
Maximum AI traffic for session was 339 aircraft

FPS went dramatically up when out of the PMDG VC and in spot or wing views.  Still, FPS in the VC exceeded 30 fps every time I looked at the fps monitor.  That's HUGE!

So I'm really happy with this upgrade and happy to see progress is being made to enhance the usefulness of this simulator.  I hope others are seeing a major performance boost too.

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 4

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

WOW Jim,.. That is a big Pronouncement Particularly coming from you.

I really hope this is true. (Not that I doubt you). :)

But some folks are complaining about worse VAS. Hmmm...

PS: What is Poppit's verdict? :)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

WOW Jim,.. That is a big Pronouncement Particularly coming from you.

I really hope this is true. (Not that I doubt you). :)

But some folks are complaining about worse VAS. Hmmm...

PS: What is Poppit's verdict? :)

Glad to hear this from someone like Jim.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I only updated the Client as recommended by LM and i also noticed a smoother experience. Cant tell if fps are better as i have it at monitor refresh at 25.

Today i desided to try out 372.90 drivers and they seems fine as well.

After a Windows system restore my only problem is that in Windows remove programs (uninstall) it still has 3.3.5 listed. 3.4.9 is actually working fine as Client.

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Many on Facebook are experiencing increased VAS with 3.4.  Curious. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I think most have problems as they use tweaks and high settings.  I used the information from the fsuipc log.  I don't use max settings and my graphics card settings are set to the default for P3D.  Everything is still crisp and clear.  I used most of the settings in Rob's AVSIM P3D Guide but I do not use cloud shadowing and terrain shadows.  Might be good for a screenshot but otherwise it would be difficult to see at FL290.  I still have the shadows for the interior and exterior of my aircraft.

As with Michael Moe above, I only updated the Client and perhaps that has something to do with it but still believe modest settings makes flight sessions more enjoyable.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Here I see no increase in fps ...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I was going to start a thread on this.  Something definitely happened to improve FPS.  Just did FSDT ORD to FSDT DFW and back with AS2016, ORBXNA, and PMDG 737 and 777.  Minimum FPS in the low 30s on the most dense areas.  

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Some see an improvement, some see no change, some see things getting worse... It's always the same with every update. ;) Unless everyone is seeing an increase in fps it's just a local coincidence and it doesn't say much about the update.

It's always the same with every update. ;)

Yep. If everyone is saying something different you know all is good :Ying Yang:  :good: 

If everyone is saying the same bad things, then worry..... no, really, don't touch it :Shame On You: 

If everone is saying the same positive things, then a miracle has occured   :Praying: 

For me? no change :Hug:

Yep. If everyone is saying something different you know all is good :Ying Yang:

If everyone is saying the same bad things, then worry..... no, really, don't touch it :Silly:

If everone is saying the same positive things, then a miracle has occured  :shok:

For me? no change :Hug:

Every upgrade I have installed for  the last year, people have raved about the increased performance with the latest version.  I was flying on a VA at the time which logged FPS for the entire flight. I did the same flight, with the same weather, with each upgrade,   the old version versus the  new version, and never once saw any increase in FPS.  Just sayin.....

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Just sayin.....

This has been generally the case for me, but (and it's a big but) having said that, since P3D v2.0 was released there have been some major graphical advancements added to the platform, and I can run the same basic settings, on the same hardware, with these new features, with no loss of frames. Apart from the VAS disaster with one (2.2 I think?) update, performance and stability has been pretty linear, despite new features being added, so overall things have been good.

I have not upgraded, but I could swear that my framerates are worse.....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Unless everyone is seeing an increase in fps it's just a local coincidence and it doesn't say much about the update.

You are exactly right!  That's why I indicated in above that I had my graphics card settings set to the default for P3D, turned off cloud shadows, have modest config settings but still get great and crisp graphics, and I use no tweaks.  I should have also stated I do not use the Estonian Tool and all of my add-ons were updated specifically for P3Dv3.4.  The rest of the story is in my specs in my signature.

Submit News to AVSIM