Sign in to follow this  
Starfightr

The lesser known little bugs of FSX (and how to fix them)

Hello,

This is a list of the less known / hard to find fixes to little bugs in FSX sp2.

1) Texture.cfg:

In the "SimObjects" folder of FSX, you will find a lot of objects used the simulator. Each one having a "texture" subfolder. In these "texture" folders there is a 'texture.cfg' file.

In this file, the line "fallback.3=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture" should be corrected as:

fallback.3=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture

2) Missing models:

In the "SimObjects\GroundVehicles" folder, 2 vehicles are incorrect:

- "VEH_air_firetruck_sm" is missing the "model" folder completely. Anyway, it is the same vehicle as "Veh_firetruck_sm".

To fix: remove the "VEH_air_firetruck_sm" folder, and add this section in the "sim.cfg" file of the "Veh_firetruck_sm" folder:

[fltsim.1]
title=VEH_air_firetruck_sm
model=
texture=

- "Veh_Land_Car_Mini3_Junker_sm" is missing the "model" folder and the "sim.cfg" file.

To fix: copy the "model" folder and the "sim.cfg" file from "Veh_Car_Mini3_Junker_sm". Edit the "sim.cfg" file so as the line "title=Veh_Car_Mini3_Junker_sm" reads:

title=Veh_Land_Car_Mini3_Junker_sm

- As a bonus, you can remove the "Textures" (with an 's') folder from "VEH_tractorCab" because it's useless.

3) When FSX loads, it looks for a file called "msgothic.ttf". This file is in the "Fonts" folder of FSX, but its name is "msgothic.ttc".

To fix: just make a copy of "msgothic.ttc" and rename it "msgothic.ttf".

These are the ones I know of, you're welcome to add yours.

• Upvote 3

This is a very interesting topic and one that I never heard of before.  However after checking just my aircraft folder I realize that this task is daunting at the least.  What is needed is a batch file to make these changes because there are many hundreds if not thousands of lines of code to change.  Just one of my airbus aircraft had over thirty aircraft that had a texture folder that needed this change and that is only one of many hundreds on my particular system  If I was sure of how to write a batch file I would do it myself but at my age my memory is a little shy of this ability without much research.  fisheye

The fallback issue may not matter, because there typically is an earlier fallback line that works..

Have not found an example where the Fallback issue would cause a problem..

The other issues are neat finds and easy to fix.

Whether they actually matter, I do not know.

Bert

I sure hope you are right because I just went through my folders and found 7,672 texture.cfg files that most need changing.  Impossible for me to do without a batch file to use.  fisheye

Many of us have been using FSX for 10 years without problems, so that should tell you something..

Bert

Many of us have been using FSX for 10 years without problems, so that should tell you something..

I agree and mine is working fine so no need to mess with more tweaks that might not yield and results.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

For sure, these tweaks won't change your life :wink: . But these bugs are so obvious (e.g. an object without a model?, a wrong path in your configuration file) and easy to fix.

To correct the many "texture.cfg" files I've used an old software (not working any longer under W7). But I'm sure you can find a 'text replacement' utility on the web.

This fix allows Objects to correctly use the textures in the "Scenery\Global\texture" folder. It is a MS/ACES design, with just a typo...

Maybe this "fallback.3=" line is useless and can be completely & safely removed, but there is a lot of ground vehicles' textures in that folder...

And other addon developers have empty texture folders that in FS9 days led to memory leaks. FS Real Time install a time zone scenery folder with an empty texture folder. Aerosoft KSMF Sacramento has an empty texture folder in one of the installed folders too. 

The fallback issue may not matter, because there typically is an earlier fallback line that works...

The fallback.2 entry is correct for the local computer.

The fallback.3 entry should have been removed since it was used only by ACES Studio while developing FSX. It pointed to a now non-existent server on their local area network where all of the bitmaps for Global were kept.

This made sense for them since this ensured that all developers in the studio had access to the same bitmaps!

The presence of this entry is simply ignored by the sim. It does no harm to leave it alone most of the time. The only instance where it could become any kind of issue would be if someone deleted one of the base bitmaps in the ..\Scenery\Global\texture folder. In this case the sim would keep looking for the missing file for some seconds before giving up. This might provoke a 'stutter' during the fruitless search.

[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
fallback.3=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The fallback.2 entry is correct for the local computer.

The fallback.3 entry should have been removed since it was used only by ACES Studio while developing FSX. It pointed to a now non-existent server on their local area network where all of the bitmaps for Global were kept.

[...]

You are absolutely correct.

Since I've applied this particular tweak long ago, I forgot that most of my texture.cfg files now read:

[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\texture

fallback.2=..\..\..\..\texture

fallback.3=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture

As you can see, I've included the Fsx root\Texture folder as well :wink:

So, obviously, if you correct the fallback.3 line and then it reads like the fallback.2 or any other fallback line, it can be safely removed.

Edited by Starfightr

Aerosoft KSMF Sacramento has an empty texture folder in one of the installed folders too.

No empty KSMF texture folder here. Has textures in it.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.