Sign in to follow this  
toothjockey

Poppet...

or others:

I would like to update to 3.4 (from 3.35) on a new (different) hard drive.  Are there problems with this?  Can I only do client, or does drive change require a complete uninstall, reinstall?

Thanks for any help.

Don

Don Maxwell (toothjockey) San Diego, CA
Raptor Lake i9-13900K / ASUS ROG Strix Z790-F Gaming WiFi 6E LGA 1700 / Gigabyte Geforce RTX4090 Windforce 24GB /
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 / Corsair iCUE H150i Elite LCD 58.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler /
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 GT / Corsair 5000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower / Samsung 49" 4K / Windows 11 Home 64bit

Drive change requires complete re-installation.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Drive change requires complete re-installation.

Not entirely true. A junction can work just fine. It's essentially a shortcut, but instead redirects a folder to another location.

What you can do is as follows:

1. Move your P3D folder to the new drive in a folder of your choice (close P3D prior to this, of course). You can copy it, but delete/rename the folder in the original location before moving on to step 2. Copying and renaming the original folder is safer if this is your first time creating junctions, just to be safe.

2. Open an Administrative Command Prompt. You can do so by right-clicking on your Start menu icon and clicking "Command Prompt (Admin)."

3. In the command prompt, type the following below. Replace path_to_original_P3D_folder and path_to_new_P3D_folder with the respective folders. Be sure to include quotes around a path if it includes spaces. Example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Example"

mklink /j path_to_original_P3D_folder  path_to_new_P3D_folder

4. Once entering the command, hit enter. If there are no warnings/errors, close the command prompt. If there are any errors, fix them or post them here so we can help further.

You should now have a shortcut at the location of the original folder that, if double clicked, opens up into the P3D folder just as the original folder did.

When installing future addons, you can install them to the same location as the original folder/junction, however the files will reside in the new P3D folder on your other drive. Space taken up by the new folder will not affect your original drive.

• Upvote 1

Brandon Filer

I would like to update to 3.4 (from 3.35) on a new (different) hard drive.  Are there problems with this?  Can I only do client, or does drive change require a complete uninstall, reinstall

Hello Don.

If you have some Computer skills you could try Brandon's suggestion Post #3 

If your Computer skills are Small I would Highly Recommend you Uninstall Prepar3D and then Reinstall again on your new Drive.

If you choose to Uninstall Prepar3D,  Click this link below.  You will Notice i have Included another Link to Reinstall Prepar3D v3 (Hints and Tips) 

http://www.avsim.com/topic/494936-uninstalling-prepar3d-v3/

• Upvote 1

It depends if you have P3D on an extra drive. If so:

I have changed a hard drive without any problems.

Simply copy all over to the new drive.

Change the old drive's character to sth. else (e.g. D: to E:) using windows disk management

Then change the new drive to D:

Works flawless

• Upvote 1

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Poppet, I have computer skills, but Brandon's suggestion was a little scary.   :smile:

Thank you though, Brandon.

I decided to leave P3D where it is and just upgrade the client.  After we go to 4.0 (hopefully 64 bit), I will do complete uninstall, reinstall on the new drive.

Thanks,

Don

Don Maxwell (toothjockey) San Diego, CA
Raptor Lake i9-13900K / ASUS ROG Strix Z790-F Gaming WiFi 6E LGA 1700 / Gigabyte Geforce RTX4090 Windforce 24GB /
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 / Corsair iCUE H150i Elite LCD 58.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler /
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 GT / Corsair 5000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower / Samsung 49" 4K / Windows 11 Home 64bit

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Poppet, I have computer skills, but Brandon's suggestion was a little scary.   :smile:

Thank you though, Brandon.

I decided to leave P3D where it is and just upgrade the client.  After we go to 4.0 (hopefully 64 bit), I will do complete uninstall, reinstall on the new drive.

Thanks,

Don

Well actually it's pretty easy have done it several times :-)

Just go into disk management rename the current drive to another drive letter and your new drive to the current P3D drive.

Copy all the stuff to the new drive and done :-)

The only exception when you can't do this if all is installed on your windows drive C:

André