Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

Official Prepar3D-forums hacked?

All categories in the forums have the same spam post called "contact email...". Are LM under attack?

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Not the first time.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

The LM forum is regularly flooded by spams. Its weird to see a major defence contractor forum so poorly defended. Better have a working, up to date and efficient real time antivirus when you go there. You see the spam posts, a minor annoyance, I hope that there is not more that one doesn't see.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

The LM forum is regularly flooded by spams. Its weird to see a major defence contractor forum so poorly defended. Better have a working, up to date and efficient real time antivirus when you go there. You see the spam posts, a minor annoyance, I hope that there is not more that one doesn't see.

Not a virus, just people registering and spamming the sight. They need more active moderators to control that. 

• Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Its weird to see a major defence contractor forum so poorly defended.

It's almost impossible these days to defend against an attacker if the person or persons wants to target your website. Just ask cyber-crime expert and author Brian Krebs. He's ticked off so many hackers that they constantly attack his website. His website is presently down, but being reconfigured under Google Shield to protect it better. Here's his twitter feed in the mean time:

https://twitter.com/briankrebs?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

It's almost impossible these days to defend against an attacker if the person or persons wants to target your website. Just ask cyber-crime expert and author Brian Krebs. He's ticked off so many hackers that they constantly attack his website. His website is presently down, but being reconfigured under Google Shield to protect it better. Here's his twitter feed in the mean time:

https://twitter.com/briankrebs?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Hey Jay

Not interested by the technicalities of some guru, just using a little common sense.

None of the many sites that I visit everyday (Avsim, OrbX, A2A, my Proboard, non gaming forums etc.) is regularly full of spam as the LM P3D's has been these last months. For LM, it is also often from the same sources (the chinese spamming for instance). It seems that the LM P3D team just does not care to protect their (antiquated ?) forum engine.

LM is a great company as a whole, this complacency is not good for their image. I wouldn't care much (don't hold shares at that time) but if they cannot protect themselves against spam, it may also mean than more dangerous beasties could be lurking there.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

LM is a great company as a whole, this complacency is not good for their image. I wouldn't care much (don't hold shares at that time) but if they cannot protect themselves against spam, it may also mean than more dangerous beasties could be lurking there.

If it were bots that were spamming the site, I might agree with you but there is no way to prevent a user from registering to gain access and then posting spam until they are locked out. I'd cut LM some slack on this one - unless you think that they should personally vet every user.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

If it were bots that were spamming the site, I might agree with you but there is no way to prevent a user from registering to gain access and then posting spam until they are locked out. I'd cut LM some slack on this one - unless you think that they should personally vet every user.

Vic

Well, that is what Pro ATC does with their forum, and people complain, but they get zero spam. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Dang spam.

mbmT9xD.jpg

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Well, I've been visting various forums for 20 years and have never once seen this kind of spamming in any other forum. Makes me wonder if I risk getting som malware visiting over there...

• Upvote 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Vic

Please... is it an user who posts several pages of the same post in a row as we often see on LM forum ? Sorry, I don't cut people sloppy with their security any slack in today internet world, even if they are making my favorite pastime. Their security is mine/yours too. LM has the means to have a decent forum engine and a full time webmaster doing the job.

Dominique

Well, I've been visting various forums for 20 years and have never once seen this kind of spamming in any other forum.

I've seen it many-many times sadly, some forums are quicker at cleaning it up than others, but it is a common problem. I've seen very small (run by a single person) messageboards give-up due to the amount of spam posts.

And they are only posts, so its unlikely you'll get anything nasty by visiting the forum, just don't open the posts, or follow any links.

Personal vetting works, but you sometimes have to wait weeks to join a forum with such a policy.

If it were bots that were spamming the site, I might agree with you but there is no way to prevent a user from registering to gain access and then posting spam until they are locked out....

Does human generated spam really happen in that kinda volume on such a niche forum though? I would've expected the vast majority (95%+) to be bot spam, which any reasonably resourced forum is generally able to defend against. As others have said, it doesn't reflect well on a firm the size of Lockheed Martin although I can appreciate it may not be a huge concern for them.

I've never had any spam on my forums although a lot of known spambots visited, the automatic defences worked (seems most bots can't pass a twenty question multiple choice aviation exam LOL). I did get fed up of their visits though so blocked some Chinese and Russian IP ranges (seems to be where the bulk of spambots originate), and also had a lot of content-scraping SEO bots that didn't respect robots.txt hammering my bandwidth, so they got an IP ban too!

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

its unlikely you'll get anything nasty by visiting the forum, just don't open the posts, or follow any links.

How do they call that  ? wishful thinking ? If you can't protect your forum against spam, why would it be protected against other threats ? 

Dominique

How do they call that  ? wishful thinking ? If you can't protect your forum against spam, why would it be protected against other threats ? 

Seriously??

If you ask that question, you don't truly grasp how it all works and what the limitations are.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69