Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

Official Prepar3D-forums hacked?

Some comments show that many don't understand at all how a forum works. Doesn't take a spam bot to do what has been done at the LM forum, just one teenager that knows how to copy and paste. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Hey Jay

Not interested by the technicalities of some guru, just using a little common sense.

None of the many sites that I visit everyday (Avsim, OrbX, A2A, my Proboard, non gaming forums etc.) is regularly full of spam as the LM P3D's has been these last months. For LM, it is also often from the same sources (the chinese spamming for instance). It seems that the LM P3D team just does not care to protect their (antiquated ?) forum engine.

LM is a great company as a whole, this complacency is not good for their image. I wouldn't care much (don't hold shares at that time) but if they cannot protect themselves against spam, it may also mean than more dangerous beasties could be lurking there.

I agree the techno babble allows the spam/hacked company to hide behind that next to useless info A  real manger would tell his staff to just fix it. Even a tiny operation such as P3d, can raise some doubt about other areas of the company. Is this lax behavior endemic? It is called reputation.

• Upvote 1

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Seriously??

If you ask that question, you don't truly grasp how it all works and what the limitations are.

I am glad that your better technical knowledge makes you feel good and safe when you go to a spam infested forum. Cheers to you  :smile:  !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I am glad that your better technical knowledge makes you feel good and safe when you go to a spam infested forum. Cheers to you  :smile:  !

I am guessing that you have no idea what a spam infested forum looks like.  :wink:

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

The only thing you'l catch over there is a beautifully handcrafted colorful response from me   :smile:  My information may be all wrong, but it sure will look snazzy, Arty even   

• Upvote 2

The only thing you'l catch over there is a beautifully handcrafted colorful response from me   :smile:  My information may be all wrong, but it sure will look snazzy, Arty even   

hey Ms P, you should apply to a webmistress job there, my dear, they cruelly need one   ! And defence contractors pay well too  :smile:..

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

LM's P3D is a side business which bolsters their presence in the world defence market.  The economics of running it determines how much they need to spend on securing the site.  I would bet they would shut P3D down in a minute if their metrics didn't add up.

• Upvote 1

\Robert Hamlich/

I think you're 100% correct Robert so for our sake let's hope that won't happen...

Richard Åsberg

LM's P3D is a side business which bolsters their presence in the world defence market.  The economics of running it determines how much they need to spend on securing the site.  I would bet they would shut P3D down in a minute if their metrics didn't add up.

A good point with two nuances though :  

- LM does not need (thanks Heavens  !) P3D to bolster their presence in the world defence markets. I even may say, the other way round, that LM leadership in aeronautics bolsters the confidence we may have in P3D !

- and it wouldn't be the first time that  large corporations, even MoDs to stay in the same field , had some lapses in their network security.

In any case you raise a very interesting question, the LM metrics for P3D.  But that would be an entirely other story  :smile:...

Dominique

Deleted  :smile:

Yeah a pity, we miss an opportunity to learn Korean now. Interesting wasn't it ? Several hundreds of posts in a short span of time from apparently hijacked accounts...

Dominique

No,  all coming from the same account,  he is still going strong though,  at 563 Threads now   :smile:

No,  all coming from the same account,  he is still going strong though,  at 563 Threads now   :smile:

I stand corrected here , there is only one account indeed (not the same each time as I recall though) but it very much looks like  a bot . That or the guy had an overdose of rhino horn powder. Anyway, very reassuring. 

Now, I may have an explanation . Maybe LM uses the P3D  forum as a lightning rod to protect the whole corporate "house"  :wink:  !

Dominique

A titans fight, now the spambot under its third incarnation (avatar ?) of the day and LM struggling with its puny nail scissors :).

Dominique

I stand corrected here , there is only one account indeed (not the same each time as I recall though) but it very much looks like  a bot . That or the guy had an overdose of rhino horn powder. Anyway, very reassuring. 

Now, I may have an explanation . Maybe LM uses the P3D  forum as a lightning rod to protect the whole corporate "house"  :wink:  !

There was one post today, on the LM site, and was reported.