Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

How much would it really cost for a small aircharter company?

If I want to start a small one man aircharter company with a small plane, say a C182 or similar. How much money would I really need?

The cost for the 182 and anything else?

I'm assuming here that I've gone to school and got my required licences and ratings.

Would I need something like $300k or more like  500k and then some?

I would appreciate any help here, thanks.

Ciao!

Look at FAR part 135.  First is the cost of the plane.  Then you must meet all the requirements of the rule.  The smallest I've seen operated under 135 was the Cessna 206. 

Also take into account the increased cost of insurance. It is about a 5X bump in cost. I had the same thought when I got my aztec. My insurance premium went from $2,500/year to $15,000/year when I was quoted.

I didn't have the money for that type of thing, so I just stuck regular. Good thing too, I had vapor lock in my fuel tanks and had to belly land the Aztec at KEYE last November. Nailed it, right on the centerline. I was on about a 5 mile 45 to downwind at pattern altitude when my engines started buffering, losing power quickly I switched tanks (already had fuel pumps on) and there was no change. Left engine was going down first so I cut the mixture, feathered the prop and threw the gear down. Then I went "awww ****" when I remembered that the gear hydro worked only off the left engine on my '77 (They switched it in '79 to it working off both engines). As I was already doing, I aimed for the numbers and brought her in. 

My heart was broke when I got out. That plane was my dream come true and the engines had just been overhauled firewall forward. As broken as I was, I was proud as hell that I didnt even strike the wingtips! Everyone at the airport was super supportive, saying "welcome to aviation" when I told them I have never had an emergency in my 20 years of flying.

The FAA investagator was nice enough, but the office folk at the FAA were not in my accident report. It was stated that:

I did not know proper fuel tank managment because my selectors were on the empty tank - Well, when you are troubleshooting in a no-time-to-play situation, things like that happen, especially when I left them there when I made the belly decision to minimize any fuel dangers

I was not trained or knowledgeable in the manual extension of the gear - Really guys? You think I'm gonna pull a Memphis Belle and pump my gear down in that situation? Give me a break

I was out on tour for a couple of months and didn't havea the time to go down to the San Antonio FSDO for my checkout to make sure I still knew how to fly a plane, so they in turn suspended my license and were going to FINE ME $2,000/DAY for every day that they didnt have my license, 14 days max fine. Wow, just a $28,000 fine for a non-criminal act in a state of emergency when there was no damage or injuries to anyone or anything except my Aztec? Are you sure thats enough?

They pulled the fine and said that's just a matter of practice to scare pilots into getting their check done ASAP.

Either way, the Aztec is almost done and she's going right onto the Market. I'm going single engine. The goal was to build my Multi-Time, but man, I'll just rent a multi with all the savings from a single engine plane.

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

And don't forget that you have to live from something: I mean you need to pay the rent, your car, food and all the other little things of life. So until you have aquired sufficent assignements, reached your break even and actually make money (instead of burning money) you have to life from your savings.

I would strongly recommend to (i) do a thorough market research, an accurate business plan and have some talks with people from the scene before you start. It may be a good idea to talk to potential customers to find out how the situation is and what they are looking for.

Anyway: If you go for it please keep us posted! :good:

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

oh.. I'm sorry. I guess looking back I did't make this clear at all.

I'm been working on/off on a simulation for use with flight simulator. This is not real at all.

I've been trying to figure out how much "money" to give players to start with that would be a fairly realistic start.

I figure you have the 500k as a start for the business as well as enough money in the bank so you wouldn't have to make a company draw for a year.

Then after a year you would have a monthly company draw of x amount per month.

Ciao!

The old adage comes to mind:

"How do you make a small fortune in aviation? Start with a large one"

David Porrett

To make a million start with two... or something like that ;)

To make a million start with two... or something like that ;)

I think that was Richard Branson. Someone asked him how to become a millionaire. His advice was to start off as a billionaire and then buy an airline...