Sign in to follow this  
billgustaf

F-4j user guide is locked

Purchased the F-4 j yesterday. The PDFs user guide seems to require a password to open it. I can read it if I open it from an active download from Milviz, but again, not if I save it. No problem with the NATOPS document. How can I resolve this? Thanks!

Please contact me [kat at milviz dot com] for registration information.
If you require access to a support forum please provide proof of purchase plus your preferred forum user name.

Hi Kat,

This also does not work for the F-4J product - however it does for the F4-e product. The message popup  I first get is something like " (product pdf) is secured and cannot be opened without providing the correct password". When i have to close this box, another one pops up that says almost the same " **** pdf is secured and requires a correct password or private key to be opened". I tried my order number but nothing works. I suppose I can use the user guide for the "E" version along with my NATOPS copy for learning purposes.  Thanks , Bill

Hi Bill,

That is really odd. I tried the same links and they work perfectly. I can open them in a browser or I can download them, then open them with no problem. I tried this with two different machines with the same result. Are you using Adobe Reader?

best wishes - Kat

Please contact me [kat at milviz dot com] for registration information.
If you require access to a support forum please provide proof of purchase plus your preferred forum user name.

No, I am using "Nitro" which has been working pretty well. I did all you said with your F-4 E links and everything is good. Just not the F-4 J. I can at least read the guide on line. I will try to see if I have this issue on an Adobe machine. Not a great fan of Adobe as it is bloated and always seems to be in my face with "updates". Thanks for all your help Kat. I will get registered on the official support forum if I don't get sorted. Love the F-4 as well as your T-38, F-86 and Cessna 310. Looking ahead to more good stuff!

I can confirm the need to enter a password for F4S&J_UG_rev_1.pdf when using the PDF viewers "evince" and "okular", MD_F-4S&J.pdf opens fine. Probably some encryption where Adobe Reader "knows" the password.

Another data point... I downloaded to an Android device and opened the document with the Adobe Reader app without issue, but with UB Reader, I was prompted for a password. Hmm... (Oops.. Edited the above because I was looking at the Flight Manual rather than the User Guide)

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Intrigued, I was poking at the pdf a bit. I think the issue is that the author put restrictions on the document so that it could not be opened unless you have Adobe Reader X (or equivalent plugin) or newer. Anything earlier seems to give errors. I could not, for instance open it with Photoshop or Acrobat 8.1. But Adobe Reader X, Chrome and Firefox plugs, no problem. Hope that helps.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Thanks to all for the helpful insights. Not. Milviz problem but one of PDF software conflicts. How strange!

You're welcome. I presume you've acquired/used a suitable reader and succeeded in opening the UG. Enjoy the F-4! :smile: