Sign in to follow this  
Peter Webber

Flight Planning Addons and P3D.

Good day. Hope this is the best forum to post this query.

When a flight plan is developed in addons such as PFPX or PRO-ATC X, it gives the options to generate .pln and .rte formats. If for example I want to fly a PMDG aircraft in P3D using such a flight plan, is it necessary to generate both file formats, one for PMDG (.rte) and one for P3D (.pln)? Do both formats run in parallel during the flight i.e P3D tracks the .pln and PMDG FMC uses the .rte ? I just need to learn how PMDG and P3D would process these files and whether they co-exist and track each other during a flight. Or is it necessary just to use the one format? Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

No, it's not necessary, but it's easy achievable via PFPX. While you don';t need P3D plan in P3D intself, you may needed to ASN if you use it. 

PFPX, I use flightaware if my FMC is up to date with the latest airac from navigraph, and then topcat 

I see. So PMDG would use the .rte format and other addons such as ASN would access P3D to utilise the .pln format? Thanks for the info.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

PFPX, I use flightaware if my FMC is up to date with the latest airac from navigraph, and then topcat 

Thanks. I'm just trying to determine how the different formats are used together, I mean when would we only need a .pln format for P3D and not any other format, when running default aircraft maybe? So I understand we would never need both file formats. Only the format to suit the application or addon in use?

Peter Webber

Only the format to suit the application or addon in use?

I never run default AC unless im flying the default CRJ. But i would suggest using simbrief and download a flight plan off of that. then that way. im not sure if itll download for the NGX or for the sim, but i cant see why it couldnt do it for the sim either 

OK, thanks for the feedback...I think I've grasped it now....! :smile:

Peter Webber