Sign in to follow this  
forkedtail

This could be a common FS9 problem for Windows 10 users

When taxiing off the runway onto the dirt or grass portion of an airfield, some of the better quality aircraft display dust or smoke coming from the under the wheels.  Also engine smoke on startup is seen. These effects may not be rendered in the latest Windows 10 (Anniversary Edition).  This is a known problem, because I just checked with Aerosoft publishers and they are getting complaints from users of their of FS9 aircraft. I noticed it in my MAAM planes too. Of course, some people have not been able to use FS9 at all with Windows 10, so this is a very minor glitch.  I did not notice this with the regular Windows 10...just this latest edition.  I believe you can revert to the earlier edition, and I may try that.  I haven't seen any problems other than the dust/smoke rendering.  Other than this annoyance, Win 10 works quite well with FS9 on my medium grade rig.

Win10 Anniversary Edition didn't work for me (basically, my SSD+HDD system slowed down to a crawl), so I went back to previous build about 2-3 hours after updating. I think you have one week for returning or something like this.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I spoke to someone who has a strong system running Win 10 Anniversary with FS9.  He is having no problems whatsoever and checked his aircraft for the problem I am having.  His works normally, offering the theory that mine is a video card problem.  I can only go forward because the update is reversible only for 10 days, and I'm beyond that.

-"The future is inevitable"

Update:  Was able to restore full graphic function by reloading the FS9 Effects file and updating the AMD driver to the latest (and apparently last) update.  I didn't want to keep anyone dangling while considering an OS upgrade. 

When taxiing off the runway onto the dirt or grass portion of an airfield, some of the better quality aircraft display dust or smoke coming from the under the wheels.  Also engine smoke on startup is seen. These effects may not be rendered in the latest Windows 10 (Anniversary Edition).  This is a known problem, because I just checked with Aerosoft publishers and they are getting complaints from users of their of FS9 aircraft. I noticed it in my MAAM planes too. Of course, some people have not been able to use FS9 at all with Windows 10, so this is a very minor glitch.  I did not notice this with the regular Windows 10...just this latest edition.  I believe you can revert to the earlier edition, and I may try that.  I haven't seen any problems other than the dust/smoke rendering.  Other than this annoyance, Win 10 works quite well with FS9 on my medium grade rig.

FS9 runs fine on my pre-anniversary  O.S. edition.  If you can get back to it...one should be fine.

guessing its time for a sim upgrade

I don|t think so.

^^^ Neither do I! In fact, the OP may have upgraded already - a steady stream of simmers are upgrading from FSX to FS9! :wink:

^^^ Neither do I! In fact, the OP may have upgraded already - a steady stream of simmers are upgrading from FSX to FS9! :wink:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL------------------------------------------------------------->LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!

Gawd, that was funnyl!

Made my morning read...

Ses

FS9.1 running fine on Win10 except no thumbnail images when selecting aircraft.

FS9.1 running fine on Win10 except no thumbnail images when selecting aircraft.

Had the same problem.  Try using "alt-enter" which worked for me.  I usually use full screen. Hope this helps..

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Had the same problem.  Try using "alt-enter" which worked for me.  I usually use full screen. Hope this helps..

Thanks, that did the trick.

I find that the image sharpness is very much improved in full screen mode, so I always run the sim in that.  If you want to select a different aircraft or flight while in the full screen mode, ALT will get to to the menu without also pressing ENTER.  

I also solved the the problem of missing effects by loading a fresh copy of fs9 into my Windows 10 Anniversary edition.  I'm happy to report it works flawlessly!