Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

ActiveSky . .

Guest Crimguy

I was landing at KPAN (in real life, that is) and noticed what I find really missing in FS: mountains and terrain causing turbulence here in the heat. Particularly in that area, the ride can get very bumpy as you approach the strip, and smooths out only when you cross the threshhold. Other area airports that have a similar ride are KSEZ and KFFZ.I noticed ActiveSky. Does it recreate this effect? How does it fare? I noticed they upped the price - are there any alternatives?Thx!

Hi,Thanks for your interest!Yes, ASVE does re-create terrain based turbulence. I will let others describe thier findings.If you are an AS2004.5 owner the discount price is still in effect and the price for ASVE has not changed since release, if that is what you meant!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

an amazing product, turbulance through the clouds and when over mountains and desert, when flying in the wake of other aircraft, and other examples that make it one of the finest add-ons ever

I'll second Big Al on his comments. ASV is the first weather program to allow me to really "feel" the weather around me and make me think about flight decisions like you have to in real life. I don't sim without it now and give it my highest recommendation especially to real pilots that want to use the sim.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I believe it is correct to say that thermals are also included in sdome of the ASVe data retrieved from the AS servers.The experience even flying over hilly/mountainous terrain at higher altitudes way above the terrain still reflects proportionately to your AGL the terrain based vertical drafts and convective forces (the latter if reported in the data).I noticed this in some daytime fall flights crossing mountains from Zurich to Nice (Cote' de Azure) for a little holiday vacation travel in a 737-800 as the A/P maintained altitude at FL320. As I climbed in departure the terrain based turbulence followed the turf (mountain winds) and decreased as altitude was gained.

Guest Crimguy

Interesting comments, thx all. Does it model the variances in thermal temperatures at low altitude, i.e. during short final over varied terrain or in very hot weather, or is it only look at the big stuff like mountains and hills?Regarding price - I thought the old version was $29.95, but I guess I was mistaken. Still a reasonable price.

Don't recall the exact environment (no precip though) but I've experienced bumps in large and GA on final that if not on ILS require pitch correction to maintain the correct vertical profile - seemed realistic as when I flew real GA.

Guest DNelson

Only problem is, the realistic wake turbulence doesn't mix well with the lousy FS9 ATC. Once I was on an ILS in the Eaglesoft Citation, in solid cloud, when a 747 passed about 50 feet above me (and I had been cleared for the approach!). The wake turbulence knocked me inverted. :-lol

Im thinking of purchasing Active Sky, does it run in the background while you run FS9?Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

>Im thinking of purchasing Active Sky, does it run in the>background while you run FS9?>>BillYes

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Active Sky is a must have if you like accurate and detailed weather, at least as accurate as FS is capable of displaying.Tony=http://www.flightsim-bevs.com]BEVBetaSig.jpg

I'll second that. I put off buying AS for a long time, thinking the FS9 online weather was good enough. Now I won't fly without AS. Fitz

Hi Again Crim,It will also look at the smaller terrian features and temperatures as well.AS2004 was that price, but keep in mind that so much more has been added into ASVE! AND there is more to come for ASVE!!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Guest rogue1

Look at AISmooth to deal with the annoying AI traffic. It'll put them into a hold and does greatly reduce the occurance of that scenario.Latest version is here: http://www.sg-flightware.de/

Guest neilb

While theres an ActiveSky thread ;)Does it help, or stop, the annoying FS habit of having clear skies and then suddenly being placed in the gray soup?FS does that to me all the time. I'll pop out of it, then pop back in, and it doesn't do it gradually, its clear, then dense cloud/fog, then clear. Grrrrr.