Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

ActiveSky . .

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

"...when a 747 passed about 50 feet above me (and I had been cleared for the approach!). The wake turbulence knocked me inverted."If you're serious, ASV will be mine by week's end. That's awesome!Now, if only SOMEONE (not I, brains for such I lack) could make it possible for ATC to behave appropriately, lol.-Jeremy BurchThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!A pilot pulled out a .38 revolver and placed it on top of the instrument panel, then told the navigator "I use this on navigators who get me lost!"The navigator pulled out a .45 and placed it on his chart table. The pilot asked, "What's that for?""To be honest sir," the navigator replied, "I'll know we're lost before you will."

Guest bobsk8

Regarding Active Sky, last night I took my LevelD 767 for a short hop from Atlanta to Nashville on Vatsim. When I asked ground control for active runway after getting clearance, I was told that I there was a grounds hold into Nashville due to very bad weather in Nashville. Finally I was cleared to Take off but advised that I might still haved problems going into Nashville.Flight to Nashville was uneventful until I noticed that the Radar was looking pretty bad about 70 miles from the airport. I started a descent and the airspeed was fluctuating about 30-40 knots from my AT setting and altitude was jumping up and down around 400 feet. Lightning was flashing all around and turbulence was moderate to heavy. Then the rain started pouring around 11,000 feet and thunder claps and up and downdrafts were constant until I got on the ILS for 20L. I was so absorbed in all this I forgot to dial in the LOC freq and realized it after I flew though the localizer and was warned by Nashville Approach. A quick turn, dialing the radios at the same time, and back on the LOC and made a good touchdown, handflying the remainder of the approach. Do I think Active Sky makes it realistic??,,,,, You bet it does....

Hi Bob, Did you SAVE that weather ??? Now that sounds exactly what the doctor ordered... I have ASV - sounds like I need to start looking for some bad weather... Great narrative too !!!Regards,Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Guest bobsk8

>Hi Bob,>> Did you SAVE that weather ??? Now that sounds exactly what>the doctor ordered... I have ASV - sounds like I need to start>looking for some bad weather... Great narrative too !!!>>Regards,>ScottActually I have saved weather sometimes, but I find that I almost never use it again, so I stopped doing that. I just like flying in actual current conditions. I think you can download old weather files from the AS server, but I am not certain of that.

>Actually I have saved weather sometimes, but I find that I>almost never use it again, so I stopped doing that. I just>like flying in actual current conditions.I'm with you Bob, I thought I'd be using old weather schemes so saved them initially and then found when I fire up the sim I'm only interested in what the weather is right now. Very rarely I'll get home from work and wonder what it would have been like to make a flight earlier the same day and I'll download the archive for a block of time earlier in the day. Sounds like quite a storm you got into in the earlier thread. I recall the naming for turbulence...Mild = You're getting tossed about but loose objects aren't flying around yetModerate = You're really getting tossed around and loose objects are flying about (you read about windows getting knocked out by unsecured objects)Severe = You're getting tossed about to the point of making it difficult to control the aircraft

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest LonelyplanetXO

I owned AS2004 & put off buying ASV for some time due to the price. However, after reading many positive reviews I eventually capitulated and dragged out the plastic. Overall, really like it. It's a worthwhile investment because its one of those addons which radically improves the immersion factor, esp if you're used to flying GA in real life. Recommended.LonelyplanetXO

Guest Crimguy

Thank you all for the comments and observations. I guess I'll have to plunk down some more dough.And kudos to you Jim for being so active in support of your product.

Thanks Crimguy!! We'll be seeing you in our forum!Also, thanks for our other users who posted their experiences. We cannot do this without all of you!!! Watch for another ASVE Update soon.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Wow,That's just scary... Everyone aboard must have soiled themselves on that one! :-eek

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest bobsk8

I just installed the latest update to Active Sky, and it looks even better than it did before. Thew clouds coming into Pittsburgh tonight were incredible..!!!!! :) :) This program just keeps getting better and better..............http://sales.hifisim.com/ASVE/downloads.htm