Sign in to follow this  
urgeflaske

Horrible performance when flying through clouds

So when flying through heavy clouds yesterday (AS16+ASCA) in the 737ngx my fps went down to 12-20 and when trying to look around in the cockpit it was lagging so much. When i got clear of the clouds fps went back to 30-50. This happens every time im flying through clouds. Is there any settings i can adjust so i wont drop that much fps?

Do you have any AA driven by nvidia inspector?  MSAA and those types of AA can crush performance in clouds.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I adjusted settings as Tony said, and haven't seen much visual difference. I also reduced layers of clouds down to 2-3. But, this is something that you're going to have to experiment with, to find what's best. All in all, there's not much to do unfortunately.

Do you have any AA driven by nvidia inspector?  MSAA and those types of AA can crush performance in clouds.

How does this affect performance in clouds? Does it diminish visuals? Is there instructions on where you can turn this off?

Download the New P3D Guide v1.0. It walks you through setting up P3D and AS2016. Look on the main avsim page on the right just under the picture of Tom.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Like the others wrote :

Try DXT 1024 instead of 32 bit 1024

If that is not enough , max 3 cloud layers and 512 clouds.

MA at 8 or 4

AF at 8 or 4

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

How does this affect performance in clouds? Does it diminish visuals? Is there instructions on where you can turn this off?

If you don't know how to turn this off you probably haven't turned this on so don't worry about this. To let nVidia Inspector drive AA you have to download a program and set specific settings. You clearly haven't done that so you can forget about it. And btw AA with Inspector improves the quality of visuals quote a lot but at too big a price. Unless you have a really up to date screamin' fast PC.

If you don't know how to turn this off you probably haven't turned this on so don't worry about this. To let nVidia Inspector drive AA you have to download a program and set specific settings. You clearly haven't done that so you can forget about it. And btw AA with Inspector improves the quality of visuals quote a lot but at too big a price. Unless you have a really up to date screamin' fast PC.

Also make sure you have installed one of the latest two Nvidia video card drivers.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

What version of P3D are you  running?. If its anything less than 3.3.5 update to the latest version. The more recent versions of P3D solved much of the "cloud" FPS hit issues.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Thanks for the help guys.

AA is set to 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling in NI Inspector.

I've always had the problem with fps loss when flying into clouds but i will update P3D eventually.

AA is set to 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling in NI Inspector.

That will induce an FPS hit with dense clouds unless you are running SLI setup.  Lower cloud textures and reducing P3D cloud density setting will also help.

Cheers, Rob.

That will induce an FPS hit with dense clouds unless you are running SLI setup.  Lower cloud textures and reducing P3D cloud density setting will also help.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks.

Will it be any noticeable changes if i turn off AA?

Thanks.

Will it be any noticeable changes if i turn off AA?

Well, turn it off and see if it is noticeable to you. After all, that's all that matters. ;) 2xSGSS isn't a high setting but you may see a difference when you turn it off: some won't notice it, others will. It also depends on the resolution you use. Anyway, turning it off won't damage your system or cost you anything so try it to see if graphics get bad or not and if performance goes up or not (specially in clouds).

Questions like these are a bit useless on a forum (if you don't mind me saying so) because you will get different replies from people with different systems and different priorities. Only you can decide if a change is noticeable and worth it or not. I often get the idea a lot of simmers don't trust their own judgement and rely on forum posts to figure out what to think and like and so on... ;)

Well, turn it off and see if it is noticeable to you. After all, that's all that matters. ;) 2xSGSS isn't a high setting but you may see a difference when you turn it off: some won't notice it, others will. It also depends on the resolution you use. Anyway, turning it off won't damage your system or cost you anything so try it to see if graphics get bad or not and if performance goes up or not (specially in clouds). Questions like these are a bit useless on a forum (if you don't mind me saying so) because you will get different replies from people with different systems and different priorities. Only you can decide if a change is noticeable and worth it or not. Sometimes it seems people don't trust their own judgement... ;)

You're absolutely right, thank you :)

I used to have it off, and i remember that the GPU temp would be around 50 when flying. With it on im at 65, and flying through clouds it gets up to 71. I have no idea why i turned it on again, probably because someone told me i would lose some effects or something like that.

With it on im at 65, and flying through clouds it gets up to 71.

That is normal for a GPU..., temps up to 80C are considered "warm" but not dangerous.

Dan Downs KCRP