Sign in to follow this  
StewCal

To Overclock or Not to Overclock?

Just built a new computer with a 6700k processor which runs at 4.2 GHZ in turbo mode.  Of course my first inclination was to overclock the bejesus out of it.  In fact I didn't even try to run Prepar3d at the stock clock speed.  My previous system was a 2600K overclocked originally to 4.8 GHZ but reduced to 4.6 GHZ as the system aged which gave me descent performance so I figured I should be able to get 4.8 GHZ out of the new chip and I could fly to the moon!!  Well....I got the system to boot at 4.6 GHZ and boy did Prepar3d look good!  The problem however was that I could not complete a flight without having a CTD or some other well documented "issue with Prepar3d".  I immediately began bad mouthing Prepar3d (In my own head that is).  Why can't somebody just make a frickin, flight simulator that works ,*&^%&%$&^ etc etc.

To make a long story short......I reset my Bios setting to default and, pouting,  booted up Prepar3d.  Well...boy did Prepar3d look good!  And boy did Prepar3d perform well!  In fact, it blew away my old systems performance with much higher settings and no overclock.  And guess what?  I have not a single CDT or freeze or anything else.  Smoooth and stable and no headaches.  What more could I ask.

Now don't get me wrong, I still have that 4.4 or 4.5 bouncing around in my head but I'm trying to resist.  So my advice is if your having Prepar3d reliability issues try the stock CPU speed if you have one of the more recent chips or if you're trying to decide whether to upgrade your CPU know that you don't necessarily need to overclock to have a super stable setup if you do.

Steve Giblin

Not so fast, what works for you is not what would work for anybody else, there are too many variables when  comes to System/Sim/Addons etc. My advice is OC and see.

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

I have 6700k and I think that this CPU was born to be OC-ed. Just get your self a nice W/C system. Mine is running on 4.7 with HT Off. Have never been more happier than now. 

Much difference in a 4790k and a 6700k? Looking at upgrading from a 4690k.

Kevin Humphryes

I'm not necessarily saying not to overclock and I probably will continue to play around with it but it's nice to know that it's not 100% essential.  That being said, I'm sure that this is considerably more of a performance boost by overclocking a 2600 k running at 3.4 Ghz to 4.8GHZ than a 6700k running at 4.2 Ghz to the same 4.8 GHZ.

Steve Giblin

My advice: Moderate overclock.

Why:

I'm sure someone will post that moving from 4.2 to 4.8 only gives you X more frames. IMO, flying the sim requires every frame you can get for a more immersive experience. While it may be true that going from 48 to 51 FPS is  a waste, if you are like me simming complex aircraft in major airports, then the difference between 17 and 20 FPS, might make a difference. Additionally, your inner "OC the beejezus out of it" voice might be silenced once you obtain a sustainable, moderate, OC.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Being able to boot @4.8 is something completely different than running a stable 4.8 clock and I'll be quite suprised if you manage to get a stable 4.8 clock without pushing your vcore to the limits. 4.7 maybe, 4.6 probably, 4.5 definitely. I personally lucked out in the siliconelottery and can can only achieve 4.6 at v1.39, so I settled for 4.5@v1.34 HT On. I'm able to boot at 4,8 no problem but that means nothing and will only lead to CTD like the ones you had. Considering the fairly high stock speed, these 6700k doesnt really clock that well compared to the Skylake i5 which can achieve pretty much the same OC as their bigbrother 6700k eventhough its stock speed is a half ghz lower...

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

I don't need 50FPS. I need STABLE and STUTTER FREE 22-32FPS everywhere, from VFR field to FSDT KJFK with 100% AI. That's where OC with proper HT and AM settings does help a lot. 

Right now I am using a air cooler so I didn't dare going much above 1.35v for the core voltage.  I'm sure that is a big factor in my lack of success.  Like I said, I'm sure I'll fool around in the future but I don't feel that I have to rush out today and fork over the cash for water cooling.  In the interim I can  fly with better performance than with my old system.

Steve Giblin

[insert-topic-headline-here] ... that is the question  :P

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Nice Anders, the answer is opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone has one.

My 6700K machine was built with overclocking in mind and it is very stable over many months at 4.7 GHz HT on but I run it HT off to be conservative with the heat.  This is not done for the big frame rate numbers, because I lock at 24 frames/sec. My goal is a consistently stable stutter free animation, which I have achieved for the most part.  Still tweaking to get rid of a few long frames in the FTX NA SCA region but that has nothing to do with this topic. So I''ve exposed my belly button and will move on.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

Nice Anders, the answer is opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone has one.

My 6700K machine was built with overclocking in mind and it is very stable over many months at 4.7 GHz HT on but I run it HT off to be conservative with the heat.  This is not done for the big frame rate numbers, because I lock at 24 frames/sec. My goal is a consistently stable stutter free animation, which I have achieved for the most part.  Still tweaking to get rid of a few long frames in the FTX NA SCA region but that has nothing to do with this topic. So I''ve exposed my belly button and will move on.

Hello, whats the meaning with HTA? Just about to overclock mine i7 6700k and reading up on the guides :)

Much difference in a 4790k and a 6700k? Looking at upgrading from a 4690k.

completely not worth it

completely not worth it

I wouldn't say "completely", but gains will be barely noticeable assuming the same clocks. Stability and reliability will be better on 6700k, I think.

I went from 2700k/4.4 to 6700k/4.7.  Earth vs. Heaven. 

I have the same processor with HT On and I'm not overclocking it so far. The issue is I'm getting over 35 fps, any scenery with airliners, so there is no reason to do that. Keeping the processor for a long life. I tried the overclock but only get and average of 5 more frames. Not really make a difference in smothness and performance.

Mario
------------
Hardware: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero + AMD 5900X, G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32Gb DDR4 3200MHz, MSI RTX 3080 Ti
Software: Windows 11, Prepar3D v5.3HF2