Sign in to follow this  
lennie

thinking about a cpu upgrade, need advice....

Hello guys,

I am running FSX and currently have i7-4790 CPU. Thinking to upgrade to i7-6700k. What i hope to improve is the flicker/jumping when turning any plane sharply at an airport. I would like to get a smoother turn. Would a new CPU help?  I don't get too bothered airborne, but on the ground its not very smooth. Not considering moving to P3D yet, i have too many airports, aircraft and ORBX stuff that i don't want to have to re-purchase.

Realize i have to get another mobo too.

What do you think? What should I do?

Appreciate suggestions!!

cheers

I am running FSX and currently have i7-4790 CPU. Thinking to upgrade to i7-6700k.

Have you overclocked that 4790 yet?

If not you could be wasting your money on an upgrade.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

GB,

No. I dont know enough about computers to do that.....

lennie

Hello guys,

I am running FSX and currently have i7-4790 CPU. Thinking to upgrade to i7-6700k. What i hope to improve is the flicker/jumping when turning any plane sharply at an airport. I would like to get a smoother turn. Would a new CPU help?  I don't get too bothered airborne, but on the ground its not very smooth. Not considering moving to P3D yet, i have too many airports, aircraft and ORBX stuff that i don't want to have to re-purchase.

Realize i have to get another mobo too.

What do you think? What should I do?

Appreciate suggestions!!

cheers

You are only looking at a 7% increase in performance.  So not worth it.

You also say the 4790... is it the "K" variant? If not you won't be able to overclock anyway.

You say you don't know enough about computers to overclock... you could learn, like we all had to. It's not as hard as it sounds, it's safer than it sounds, and we all had to start somewhere.

But as I say, if not the "K" you won't be able to.

The flicker, jumping you refer to is a drop in frame rate, and/or stuttering. So look at your settings, are you pushing those sliders too high. Is your trafficc slider too high, do you have frame rate killers like bloom and shadows turned on? There's lots you can do to tweak your settings to improve frame rate and reduce stutters.

Whether it's overclocking or tweaking flight sim... both will require research and learning.

Have you overclocked that 4790 yet?

You can not overclock a non-K CPU.

If you have a 780 graphics card you may want to think about upgrading that first. If you go CPU route (assuming you go for a 6700k) you will need to also buy a new motherboard and DDR4 RAM. So you are looking at a $600 upgrade. Although you can probably get $200 selling your 4790 on eBay or Amazon to offset the cost.

Thanks friends! I believe that i have the K variant. Will take a look at the sliders first. I may have traffic a bit high as I like to see airports with some planes around. Not familiar with bloom and shadows so will have to research that a bit.

Richie, I have 2 - 780s; what's the next best step-up??

lennie

You are only looking at a 7% increase in performance.  So not worth it.

You also say the 4790... is it the "K" variant? If not you won't be able to overclock anyway.

You say you don't know enough about computers to overclock... you could learn, like we all had to. It's not as hard as it sounds, it's safer than it sounds, and we all had to start somewhere.

But as I say, if not the "K" you won't be able to.

The flicker, jumping you refer to is a drop in frame rate, and/or stuttering. So look at your settings, are you pushing those sliders too high. Is your trafficc slider too high, do you have frame rate killers like bloom and shadows turned on? There's lots you can do to tweak your settings to improve frame rate and reduce stutters.

Whether it's overclocking or tweaking flight sim... both will require research and learning.

Hey Martin

You may have saved me some $$$! I changed some of the settings as you suggested, and there is little or now stutter!!

Greatly appreciate it!!

Hey Martin

You may have saved me some $$$! I changed some of the settings as you suggested, and there is little or now stutter!!

Greatly appreciate it!!

Great news! Always look to the sliders first. 

I have had great success with totally unlimited frame rate. Great increase in frame rate and very few stutters. That was with my old 3770K and a GTX 770.

Also try the BP=0 CFG tweak. Useful increase in frame rate, mostly in dodgy weather.

Don't sim anymore on my new rig, but the above worked for me.

Also try the BP=0 CFG tweak.

How do I find this; do this??

Thanks!!!

You are only looking at a 7% increase in performance. So not worth it.

I was thinking of delidding my i7 4770k, and the max increase I'd see was a little over 6% of the 4.5 Ghz at 1.21v (4.3 cache) I currently run it at.  The Rockit 88 delid tool got me all excited about doing this, but in the end you've pretty much voted the way I was thinking...really now, would a 6.67% increase really make a noticeable difference in FSX runtime..though I've read posts stating exactly otherwise (probably by those needing to justify their actions).  I know it's a lot cheaper to delid than upgrade, but IMO the risk of failure isn't worth the tiny gain.

Since I dialed in my 4.5 OC 3 years ago, I've never had to adjust anything to maintain it: nary single OC related lockup nor blue screen.  I've been able to run a few tests at 4.8/1.3v though the temps became unacceptable so I can't say it was stable.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I was thinking of delidding my i7 4770k, and the max increase I'd see was a little over 6% of the 4.5 Ghz at 1.21v (4.3 cache) I currently run it at.  The Rockit 88 delid tool got me all excited about doing this, but in the end you've pretty much voted the way I was thinking...really now, would a 6.67% increase really make a noticeable difference in FSX runtime..though I've read posts stating exactly otherwise (probably by those needing to justify their actions).  I know it's a lot cheaper to delid than upgrade, but IMO the risk of failure isn't worth the tiny gain.

Since I dialed in my 4.5 OC 3 years ago, I've never had to adjust anything to maintain it: nary single OC related lockup nor blue screen.  I've been able to run a few tests at 4.8/1.3v though the temps became unacceptable so I can't say it was stable.

Yes, I agree, you certainly will see people trying to justify their actions. It's human nature. But the nice thing about facts is that they still remain facts even if we deny them. And in this respect, 6.6% in terms of frame rate is exceedingly small. That's in a reasonably well balanced system of course. If a system happens to be unbalanced gains can be higher.

Like you, I've also considered delidding, and not bothered for precisely the same reason. I'm at 4.6 currently with my 6700K, temps are good. Another 100 or 200 MHz isn't advantageous enough to bother.

There are those who have troublesome chips of course, where the die/IHS interface is dodgy, and in that case delliding can be worth it. 

I'm not saying I would never delid, just that if I did it would be for fun, for the challenge, to see what I could achieve.

I've delided my 6700k, just to try to keep it a little cooler. I'm presently at 4.6, running about 60c during an hour of Realbench. Pretty much the same after a P3D session. I'm running HT on and my cooler is a Noctua NH-D14. For daily operations I have no desire to go higher. But I might try for fun

I've delided my 6700k, just to try to keep it a little cooler. I'm presently at 4.6, running about 60c during an hour of Realbench. 

What was the temp before Richard. How much cooler is it post delliding? 

I've delided my 6700k, just to try to keep it a little cooler. I'm presently at 4.6, running about 60c during an hour of Realbench. Pretty much the same after a P3D session. I'm running HT on and my cooler is a Noctua NH-D14. For daily operations I have no desire to go higher. But I might try for fun

So do you have a before/after de-lid temp comparison for us?

Thanks,

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.