Sign in to follow this  
lennie

thinking about a cpu upgrade, need advice....

So do you have a before/after de-lid temp comparison for us?

Thanks,

gb.

Beat you by 3 minutes!  :smile:

So do you have a before/after de-lid temp comparison for us?

Thanks,

gb.

What was the temp before Richard. How much cooler is it post delliding?

In this case I delidded pretty much after getting the 6700k. I guess I should have measured the difference. But the previous cpu I had, I5 3570K gave me about 20c cooler at full load once delided. It obviously doesn't mean the same difference would be observed with 6700k. Cooler is Noctua NH-D14

I guess once you got a successful delid behind you, it becomes a non big deal to do again...a learning curve I'm too cautious to climb (yet).  Those electronics sitting on the Haswell die just freak me out.  Fortunately I got a really good OCn' 4770k, otherwise I'd probably be up that curve already.

Sorry about the hijack  :blush:

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

As I mentioned in another post though... if we dellid, what does that equate to in terms of frame rate in our applications, as a result of a higher OC? Given that overclocking is linear in a well balanced system, it's actually minuscule. 1-2 frames per second at 30 frames per second.

Thus, I would only dellid if... 1. I fancied a challenge 2. My CPU had a defective die/IHS intrface 3. I was a competitive overclocker.

I delidded merely to keep the heat down. My 6700k is really voltage-limited anyway.

Nothing like dropping $300 on a CPU only to immediately void its warranty!

And I can vouch for the Rockit88 tool. It almost took the fun out of it.

Great tool. Definitely the way to do it. Quite cheap I recall too.

A little more than I had wanted to spend. I should probably go ahead and sell mine. I can't imagine I'll be getting a new processor any time in the next couple of years and would have to think that, by the time I do, it wouldn't be the same size and/or fit in the Rockit88. Who knows.

A little more than I had wanted to spend. I should probably go ahead and sell mine. I can't imagine I'll be getting a new processor any time in the next couple of years and would have to think that, by the time I do, it wouldn't be the same size and/or fit in the Rockit88. Who knows.

I would wait until spring. Intel has the market sort of cornered with respect to having the fastest and most expensive CPU's. I don't blame anyone for their prices, at the same time i have to worry about my finances as do you. I run FSX steam, with very good results, you may have read a few of my posts. Very shortly AMD is going to release it's ZEN Summit Ridge setup. Usually at a very competitive price point. If it's true, and it appears so, it will give Intel a run for their money. So far with a rudimentary benchmark published it beats Intel's Kirby Lake CPU or whatever. If it truly meets it's claim of a forty% increase IPC then it will be perhaps a good time to build. I do hesitate to give advice on builds, some users go ballistic as you know. I have built many machine for others and can tell you the most expensive high end machines are nice. However I sometimes asked myself in private if the cost was wort it?

Good Luck!

BaldyB 

However I sometimes asked myself in private if the cost was wort it?

Hi there. I was mostly talking about the delidding tool but yeah, come to think of it, the $300 for the 6700k was a bit over the top. But as they say, it's worth what you pay...

If it truly meets it's claim of a forty% increase IPC then it will be perhaps a good time to build. 

BaldyB 

I'm way beyond dubious re the 40% Kaby Lake claim being made. There's an individual on this forum who I respect greatly, who's knowledge and experience supersedes mine my by at least a million percent. He says no, so I have to listen. I can't see it myself either to be honest. I don't see how merely fine tuning an architecture, without a die shrink, can suddenly generate a 40% improvement.

But we shall see.  :smile:

Hi there. I was mostly talking about the delidding tool but yeah, come to think of it, the $300 for the 6700k was a bit over the top. But as they say, it's worth what you pay...

Don't know where you're located Garrett... but come to the UK. We call it ripoff Britain.

Buy a car in the UK for £30,000 and in the US you pay $30,000. Shocking how we are ripped off. That doesn't account for the higher salaries and lower cost of living in the US either.

Same applies to PC components, we pay loads more. I watched a YouTube video yesterday that suggested the 7700K would be over £400 ion the UK. Shocking!

Not that I'm an economics expert, maybe there's a good reason for it.

I'm way beyond dubious re the 40% Kaby Lake claim being made

Color me doubtful as well. My understanding is that KL will be more efficient in terms of heat and power and that's about it. And it will include microcode out of the box that can properly deal with prime numbers :)

There are a few more interesting features.

Like Optane and native USB 3.1 support. 

Haven't heard that the desktop chip will be more efficient in terms of heat and power, it's still 14nm after all. Still 95 TDP.

Mind you, given that it's 4.5 GHz Turbo rather than Skylakes 4.2 GHz... I guess Intel will have needed to consider the fact that it will be required to run at reasonable temps with even modest cooling. So who knows. 

There are a few more interesting features.

Like Optane and native USB 3.1 support. 

Haven't heard that the desktop chip will be more efficient in terms of heat and power, it's still 14nm after all. Still 95 TDP.

Mind you, given that it's 4.5 GHz Turbo rather than Skylakes 4.2 GHz... I guess Intel will have needed to consider the fact that it will be required to run at reasonable temps with even modest cooling. So who knows. 

Nobody KNOWS! I was a hard core Intell guy and builder since the 8088, then the Athlon came along and blew Intel's socks off.

Give me a break, I'm only 81