Sign in to follow this  
Scotster

Maxing out my FSX Install, any tips comments or suggestion welcome.

As I understand it from various sources that I've been looking through BufferPools=0 turns it off, BufferPools=1 enables it and Poolsize=xxxxxx is the setting of it. I currently have BufferPools=0 and Poolsize=0 iirc, this effectively loads directly from the CPU to the GPU with no buffer.

Actually, the BufferPools section in the fsx.cfg can be either "Usepools=0" or "Usepools=1".  If Usepools=0 then the video card manages the buffer (which is preferred).  If Usepools=1 then the setting must be accompanied by the "Poolsize" and "RejectThreshold" lines that allow the user to define the buffer.  Your video card/system should be able to handle UsePools=0.

Good luck,

Greg

Thanks Jim. Happy Flying :)

That's the one Greg. I was working off of memory lol. I was close though :)

I guess there was previously a benefit to using the buffer at the software side? Is it the memory capacity of the GPU cards that's making turning it off more advantageous?

I did a small comparison video tonight. I maxed the settings as much as I dared (everything maxed other than Building Shadows, Water was set to 2.x low, traffic was set to 50% vehicles and weather was simply set to fair to save any issues). LOD_Radius was set to 8.5 just for the testing.

The UsePools=0 tweak is by far the most noticeable. The VSync can definitely be seen before the UsePools tweak but it's harder to notice it afterwards. I still do see a slight difference so I'll be leaving it in there.