Sign in to follow this  
Antioch

Display for new computer

Further to my initial thread in 'New Members',

http://www.avsim.com/topic/492939-just-joined-windows-or-linux/

I will be getting a new display as well as a new computer.  For a few years now I have favoured Dell's 24in U2412M which has had very good reviews. I would have gone for a larger display but I am restricted by height and will need to be wall mounted which will give me a viewing distance of just under 30in.

Looking back through older posts, I have seen this in poster's rigs. I currently have a 19in Dell which I have been very happy with for the last four to five years.

Going back further in time, I seem to remember reading about a display that had a preset 4:3 ratio and I was hoping somebody may remember this? Can anybody remember the make?

Rgds

Antioch

Going back further in time, I seem to remember reading about a display that had a preset 4:3 ratio and I was hoping somebody may remember this? Can anybody remember the make?

Do not know what you mean by this.  You're going back into time with a 4:3 ratio.  Back into the olden days.  A 16:9 aspect ratio is better and suited best for HD - http://www.tru-vumonitors.com/articlesreference/43vs169aspectratio.html.  Widescreen and HD.

I do not like the Dell U2412M as it costs around $229 and has a bad response time of 8ms.  There are better currently available.  ASUS has one that is faster at 2ms response and much cheaper at $149 - https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VS248H-P-1920x1080-Back-lit-Monitor/dp/B0058UUR6E/ref=pd_lpo_147_bs_t_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2D6YF3N2MCJM5HMCF1FX.  Both monitors have a 60hz refresh rate.  If you ever want to try out 3D, you would need a monitor with at least 120Hz.

I would recommend at least a 28 inch monitor like the ASUS VN289H 1080P that you can get for less than $200 and much better specs than the Dell 24 inch you are looking at.  I like Dell but they don't have many competitive sells.  Here's one for $179 - https://www.google.com/search?q=monitor+60hz+vs+120hz&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=monitors+28+inch&tbm=shop&spd=0

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Further to my initial thread in 'New Members',

http://www.avsim.com/topic/492939-just-joined-windows-or-linux/

I will be getting a new display as well as a new computer.  For a few years now I have favoured Dell's 24in U2412M which has had very good reviews. I would have gone for a larger display but I am restricted by height and will need to be wall mounted which will give me a viewing distance of just under 30in.

Looking back through older posts, I have seen this in poster's rigs. I currently have a 19in Dell which I have been very happy with for the last four to five years.

Rgds

Antioch

Rush out now and buy a 34 inch wide 21.9 aspect ratio , ips display, subtle curved monitor. Has facility for a vesa mount and will give you more real estate for work or a completely transformed gaming or fs experience. I'd even go so far as to recommend one of these monitors. If you have a strong gpu.

Jon

Hi Jonss

Now there's a thought - would not fit over my deskthough - no room - the desktop and filing trays would cover a couple of inches of the screen-  with limited space both will not go elsewhere.

Hi Jim

Thanks for the help and info - gives food for thought.

Do not know what you mean by this. You're going back into time with a 4:3 ratio. Back into the olden days. A 16:9 aspect ratio is better and suited best for HD - http://www.tru-vumon...spectratio.html. Widescreen and HD.

A 4:3 ration gives a symetrical picture - there are displays out there now with such a preset feature as I mentioned.

I like to see round dials in cockpit view.  On FS2002/2004, on my current display/GPU, I set the display hardware at 1280X960X32 - its the nearest I can get to a good looking symetrical display that is full screen - perfect pic I have narrow black bars down the screen side - as expected with the hardware I have.

I do not like the Dell U2412M as it costs around $229 and has a bad response time of 8ms.

It is good to see you are basing your dislike on personal use?  Yes expensive - has had lots of good reviews by users and my computer magazines. So will you be changing your current monitors soon?

As to response times - my opinion, based on professional reviews, are that official specs regarding response times are useless - I came to that conclusion a few years ago.  I have seen 5ms rated displays that have response times as high as 8ms to 15ms. So I tend to ignore manufacturer's 'sales-speak'.  I treat such as I do a snake-oil company that peddles their software that makes your computer faster by cleaning ones registry - but thats another story and not for this thread. I have yet to find any monitor with a 1ms stated response that is better than 5ms in bench tests.  In any case, at those numbers its not likely to be noticed by the human eye.

I would recommend at least a 28 inch monitor

24 is my max - alas.

I have at last found the disc on which I saved some research I did 2-3 years ago, on displays and their different types of panel.  I shall have a look through it and see if it needs updating and I will certainly look at the 120hz range on offer - may be the higher ones. I know at that time avid 'gamers' favoured such panels but I am not sure 'simmers' are the same as 'gamers'?

I am thinking that my requirement may be towatds TN panels - despite a reported slight loss of colour etc.

But I have no need to decide until after Xmas - will know then what I have to spend and then choose.

Thanks again

Antioch

It is good to see you are basing your dislike on personal use? Yes expensive - has had lots of good reviews by users and my computer magazines. So will you be changing your current monitors soon?

As you can see in my signature I have a Dell monitor.  Got it on sale for $779.  Some got it cheaper.  Excellent monitor!

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

A 4:3 ration gives a symetrical picture - there are displays out there now with such a preset feature as I mentioned.

I like to see round dials in cockpit view.  On FS2002/2004, on my current display/GPU, I set the display hardware at 1280X960X32 - its the nearest I can get to a good looking symetrical display that is full screen - perfect pic I have narrow black bars down the screen side - as expected with the hardware I have.

Can we assume you are using 2D panels? It seems a shame to constrain your entire display experience by sizing the display to the 2D panel! Why don't you just resize the 2D panel(s) until you have round dials? Depending on the aircraft, you may also find some panels that have been edited to a 16:9 aspect ratio. Of course, the real solution is to use the virtual cockpit, in which case you don't have to worry about about stretched dials.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Hi Mark

Yes I am sure the GPU is only 2D[Nvidia GeForce 210].  60Hz is the highest I can get.  Its a 10 year old unit but I have had it a shorter time.  Is 3D important to have - I have never looked into it?

The monitor is a Dell E207WFP – LCD – TFT.  Native resolution 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz. 

Well I have tried various display settings within FS and the best I have found is 1280X960X32.  Virtual cockpit does give round dials but most are unreadable.

My initial decision is what sort of panel would be best for my usage - mainly FS and a bit of office work.  I am not into editing or printing photos and videos and or any sort of designing.

Its a shame that more posters do not show their signatures - unlike gaming forums - but in their case its a form of one-upmanship I think.

Is there perhaps a forum in which this matter is discussed - other than here?

Antioch

Yes I am sure the GPU is only 2D...Is 3D important to have - I have never looked into it?

The monitor is a Dell E207WFP – LCD – TFT.  Native resolution 1680 x 1050 at 60 Hz.

I am not talking about stereoscopic displays, which almost nobody uses. By "3D" I am making the distinction between the FSX virtual cockpit (an animated projection of a 3D scene) and the pop-up instrument panels, which are simple 2D bitmaps with animated 2D gauges embedded in them. I am presuming you use these as you talked about your gauges being non-round.

I appreciate you may prefer 2D panels for the clarity, but again I would suggest you fix the panels rather than run your monitor in a non-native resolution - particularly one that throws away some of the display surface!

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Do not know what you mean by this.  You're going back into time with a 4:3 ratio.  Back into the olden days.  A 16:9 aspect ratio is better and suited best for HD - http://www.tru-vumonitors.com/articlesreference/43vs169aspectratio.html.  Widescreen and HD.

I do not like the Dell U2412M as it costs around $229 and has a bad response time of 8ms.  There are better currently available.  ASUS has one that is faster at 2ms response and much cheaper at $149 - https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VS248H-P-1920x1080-Back-lit-Monitor/dp/B0058UUR6E/ref=pd_lpo_147_bs_t_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2D6YF3N2MCJM5HMCF1FX.  Both monitors have a 60hz refresh rate.  If you ever want to try out 3D, you would need a monitor with at least 120Hz.

I would recommend at least a 28 inch monitor like the ASUS VN289H 1080P that you can get for less than $200 and much better specs than the Dell 24 inch you are looking at.  I like Dell but they don't have many competitive sells.  Here's one for $179 - https://www.google.com/search?q=monitor+60hz+vs+120hz&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=monitors+28+inch&tbm=shop&spd=0

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jim

I'm looking at getting a new monitor. The one you recommended above has a resolution of 1920 x 1080. Is that resolution good enough for FSX/P3D? I have read that it is preferable to go to a higher resolution.

Many thanks for any replies.

John

I am presuming you use these as you talked about your gauges being non-round.

I am only using FS2002 at the moment so don't know if what you say applies as you mention FSX. I can confirm that going through the different views, inside and outside the plane, the virtual cockpit instrument panel is the correct shape etc but not the cockpit view.  I have tried all the preset displays on offer within the MS display hardware settings and the one chosen has the best view and I cannot go higher than 60Hz.  I could of course do so when I had a CRT monitor - even the resolution could be altered.

I appreciate you may prefer 2D panels for the clarity, but again I would suggest you fix the panels rather than run your monitor in a non-native resolution - particularly one that throws away some of the display surface!

As I have said, I am not too concerned with what I have, but what to get?

The questions, to which I was hoping to get an answer, is "within the flight sim community, what is the favoured panel type"?  "Do they favour colour/clarity over speed of movement/lag/ghosting etc"?  Looking through many threads/posts I have not been able to find the answers.

Is hijacking anothers thread permitted in these forums?

Antioch

just bought an asus pg348q 34" ultra wide, its awesome, especially for flight sim! extra width is fantastic. and its not as hard to drive as a 4k monitor, well maybe similar if you want to run it at the full 100fps (its 100hz), 4k limited to 60hz at the mo. (more expensive though, but it will last a lot of computer builds!) 100% recommended