Sign in to follow this  
AlaskanFlyboy

GoogleEarth shows Alaska as Bush Pilot Heaven.

I have never seen a GA airport as crowded with GA/Bush planes as Merrill Field in the Anchorage area of Alaska (well maybe Oshkosh at the hight of AirVenture). Planes are parked everywhere... Check out 'Hood Lake' next to Anchorage Intl., is that unbelievable or what. Instead of boats around the lake you have planes. I really think Alaska is the place to be for anyone wanting a deal in getting their private pilots license. You couldn't tell me you couldn't find someone willing to train you for little or nothing. It almost looks as if private planes are about as common as the family car...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest drix

The Bush Pilot Heaven is certainly appropriate for Alaska. The largest state, and aircraft are essential as cars just like you mentioned. A single or multi engine land/sea is most likley a necessity for most pilots. Out there in Bush country true skill is required for the harsh environment. When you combine all the dangers to aviation Alaska tops the list of the most dangerous place to fly. The terrain is very unforgiving which requires special training in itself. The weather is predominately marginal to IFR and very cold. Then you combine short landing strips to the picture. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Alaska has the most certificated pilots in the U.SI would love to fly there as PIC one day but I am 4,000 miles away in Pennsylvania.

>It almost looks as if private planes are about as common as the >family car... Yes, that is an appropriate comparison. And the major reason is that there are almost no roads or highways in Alaska. A large percentage of that huge state can only be reached by foot, boat, or airplane.Dewey

Guest MattNW

Like Dewey said much of Alaska can't be accessed without airplanes. Before airplanes it was the dog sled. Aircraft replaced the sled back around the 1950's. Also in some towns airplanes land right on main street. Imagine seeing a Beaver pulling into a parking space in front of town hall. :D

I never saw before visiting Alaska a sign road STOP to give GA priority while crossing the road. That was really funny.Roger

Roger

See my specs in my profile

And from the years I lived in Alaska, I believe it has the most uncertificated pilots as well. :-hahThe weather and terrain in Alaska are no more a factor than any other part of the world. Most of the crashes in Alaska come from either a machismo bush mentality of some pilots or from a "The weather sucks/the planes over loaded, but I gotta take this job or I don't get paid" line of thinking.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach