Sign in to follow this  
hqmurphy

Captain Sim P3D Choices

Hi All,

I'll keep it quick and simple -- why would Captain Sim offer a B777 when PMDG has already satisfied the market with one? Why wouldn't they offer something like their B767, which has no competition for P3D? Or their B757 which has little/no competition?

I've been out of the flight sim game for several years, and this is just a quick question that crossed my mind. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Not everyone can afford the price tag for the PMDG products. Putting aside the fact that the CS777 and PMDG 777 are worlds apart in quality, not every one requires the system depth that PMDG offers. The CS 777 is about 1/3 the price of the PMDG offering.

NAX669.png

Putting aside the fact that the CS777 and PMDG 777 are worlds apart in quality

Of course, of course. I understand that, but why would this be one of their first to go to the P3D market? As opposed to something that has no competition, where you don't have to worry about others choosing between different developers.

Of course, of course. I understand that, but why would this be one of their first to go to the P3D market? As opposed to something that has no competition, where you don't have to worry about others choosing between different developers.

I guess you could go on their support forum and ask them, but I doubt that you'd get an answer. I bought it when it first came out just out of curiosity. The performance for me was pretty bad so I didn't fly it much. I think I was killing time until PMDG released theirs.

NAX669.png

This is pure speculation (but that's what you're asking for :smile: )... The development time for an FSX/P3D aircraft is usually quite lengthy and AFAIK, typically starts with the modelling. I suspect CS started their 777 well before PMDG made public their intention to also release a 777. By then, CS had made a substantial investment in their model and decided to see it through to recoup something for their efforts. I'd imagine they kind of crapped their proverbial pants when they learned of PMDG's plans, but by then it was too late.

I can't imagine a scenario where it would make sense to start a development knowing a serious competitor was doing the same aircraft.

• Upvote 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Why wouldnt they offer something they produced? They also offer 737-200 althogh MilViz offeres one too. Is this anyhow strange for you?

There are many similar addons in FS world (aircrafts, airports, weather engines, and more) offered by different developers. Should any of then withdraw their products just because other company produced higher quality/ greater funcionalities one?

Competition is good. Target customers differ. Prices are various. To be honest i am supprised by the question in subject.

Could be something simple like the fact that the 777 is a popular aircraft. PMDG will go high and CS goes low - market covered. Seems like a good business decision. 

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I disagree - to knowingly go into the market with an FSX/P3D add-on that is going to be well covered seems to me to be the antithesis of 'good business'. I understand that the 777 is popular and that CS go 'low' while PMDG go 'high' mitigates the pain, but they're still splitting a portion of the market which they'd might not have if they'd gone with the 767 or 757 as the OP proposed.

Anyway, it's all speculation and what's done is done, but it makes for fun discussion!

• Upvote 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Wasn't the CS 777 released like a year before the PMDG? I'm not really sure anymore. Anyways they offer a 777 at almost 1/3 of the PMDG price which is great for some people.

In my area the PMDG price is 1 month worth of food, so I'd get why people would want to get the CS instead if they really love 777s.

I really enjoyed their 767 in FSX despite its flaws.

I disagree - to knowingly go into the market with an FSX/P3D add-on that is going to be well covered seems to me to be the antithesis of 'good business'. I understand that the 777 is popular and that CS go 'low' while PMDG go 'high' mitigates the pain, but they're still splitting a portion of the market which they'd might not have if they'd gone with the 767 or 757 as the OP proposed.

Anyway, it's all speculation and what's done is done, but it makes for fun discussion!

This is exactly my sentiment. It makes sense to go low, while the others go high. But why even try that when you have two other products that have no competition at all. It's a very interesting business decision indeed.

As for the discussion, does anyone know if CS has plans for a 757/767 in P3D? The market is still not satisfied for these crafts (excluding QS757).

Got Cs 777...never fly it being that I also have the pmdg 777. Now, it is ...unfortunate to put it politely...that there was heavy discount for the Fsx to p3d PORT over. And I emphasize PORT OVER.

spacer.png