Sign in to follow this  
alike

Limit fps: Yes or no?

Always locked to 30, before P3D. Now run unlocked, and get smooth performance, and higher FPS.

With lots of AG my sim is smoother with Unlocked, but at a very detailed airport Locked is better ( = Unlimited + DXTory limiter )

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

That has been not recommended by LM because there are things happening inside P3D when frame rate is locked, if you lock externally then you do not get the best performance. This is an old adage left over from prior versions, please do not propagate.

I have seen a few people, SteveW I believe being one and others who have done tests that have said running like I do produces less jittery and stutters and gives pretty good consistent smoothness without the frames jumping all over the place by running unlimited.

Eric 

For my system;

unlimited fps: stutters, some blurries, high fps.

limited fps; almost no stutter, almost no blurries, but relative low fps. ı have chosen limited fps.

• Upvote 1

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ

On 9/29/2016 at 9:03 PM, alike said:

Simple question: Should I limit my fps to 35 (at this setting, my framerate never dips below the set framerate, and the simulator feels smooth as butter), or should I have it set to unlimited to allow jumps in framerate as big as 3 digits?

Without wishing to be obtuse, what possible benefit would you achieve by uncapping the frame rate?

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

18 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

Without wishing to be obtuse, what possible benefit would you achieve by uncapping the frame rate?

On my system, locking the frame rate appears to lower the FPS while unlocking allows a higher overall FPS.  I remember reading from the old FSX days that an unlimited rate can cause issues with graphics as the system allocates more resources to getting the higher FPS and less to other elements within the sim.  That doesn't seem to be true any more?

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

On 9/30/2016 at 2:23 PM, pmanhart said:

YES and NO

Rural area where framerate isn't a problem - locked

Urban area where framerates are a problem - unlocked

This is what I did in V3.  I'd try to keep it locked as often as possible because unlimited even with vsync caused some pretty bad blurries.  I'd even go as far as running unlimited, taking off, locking them, and once on final and the FPS started dropping I'd change it back to unlimited.  It was a major pain but I still was able to keep sharp texture and keep it running smooth.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

On 9/30/2016 at 2:23 PM, pmanhart said:

YES and NO

Rural area where framerate isn't a problem - locked

Urban area where framerates are a problem - unlocked

This is what I did in V3.  I'd try to keep it locked as often as possible because unlimited even with vsync caused some pretty bad blurries.  I'd even go as far as running unlimited, taking off, locking them, and once on final and the FPS started dropping I'd change it back to unlimited.  It was a major pain but I still was able to keep sharp texture and keep it running smooth.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

In V3 (thread here), I've found unlocking frames leads to microstutters and that locking the frames was key to smoothness. I suspect the same for V4.

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2016 at 10:00 PM, allergiecheck said:

I see best smoothness and performance when FPS are unlimited, Vsync is on, tripple buffer is on and the screen runs at 30 Hz. Looking at the Fraps counter, I have no erratic movement a t all in fps, it stays dead on 30 Hz all the time.

Same here running a native 30Hz monitor very smooth but so was/is P3Dv3 if I don't push the sliders and eye candy too high. The key for me was moving to a native 30Hz monitor that happens to be a 4K TV.

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

2 minutes ago, AviatorMoser said:

In V3 (thread here), I've found unlocking frames leads to microstutters and that locking the frames was key to smoothness. I suspect the same for V4.

Your suspicions are correct. I've run locked 30 in both V3 and now V4.

Works perfect.

Cheers,

Mark

• Upvote 1

Currently, running locked at 60 because when I get 60FPS I get "butter". :laugh:

Since I don't have displays that can run at 30Hz., I will probably go to unlimited like I did for v3 once I start loading up all the bloatware (can't live without my eye candy).  Sure there is no set-it and forget-it for all.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I've started running my locked at 32 FPS, seems to be more consistent for my system. I still stand by using unlocked in urban areas and locked in rural areas.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I have a 4k 60hz TV, GTX 1080 and a 7700k@4.95 and 64g of Gskill 3400mhz

Running the F-22, FSDT CVR, Orbx PNW and Pilots FS Global NG. Almost all settings maxed, kept shadows at default. 

My observations are as follows:

When I run frames unlimited at 60hz with vsync I get a pretty smooth experience. I get some microstutters which I believe to be performance induced, but overall its pretty good, FPS would range between 35-60. When I set the frame limit to 30, it induced stutters.

I set my TV's refresh rate to 30hz with vsync and frames set to unlimited. P3Dv4 runs totally smooth and fluid, zero stutters that I can discern, FPS ranging 29-30.  I then set frame limiter to 30 which again induced stutters and the frames were running 25-26 Weird

On my system, 30hz with vsync, frames set to unlimited is the sweet spot.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

AH the age-old question...I myself have no wisdom but I leave it unlimited, assuming the sim will take care of itself.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, ricka47 said:

On my system, locking the frame rate appears to lower the FPS while unlocking allows a higher overall FPS.  I remember reading from the old FSX days that an unlimited rate can cause issues with graphics as the system allocates more resources to getting the higher FPS and less to other elements within the sim.  That doesn't seem to be true any more?

We have a similar system Rick and I seem to share your thoughts. I've always limited to 32fps but have better overall performance leaving it unlimited in v4. Vsync and triple buffer stay off as I never get over 60 anyways with my settings and now that all the ORBX layers are installed.

regards, Andy

MSFS/P3Dv4.5/| i7 9700K @5.0 | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F |32GB3200C16 | ASUS 2080Ti OC connected to 3 x LG 27" monitors 5780x1080 | EVO 970 2TB M2 for sim, EVO PLUS 970 500GB M2 for W10pro64bit | VirtualFly YOKO & TQ6 |  MFG crosswinds | T16000M |