Sign in to follow this  
Roger Ramjet

What am I missing?

Hey guys, I've got something that's driving me crazy. Crazy because I used to know how to do this and now I can't remember. I have searched tutorials and FAQs and I can't find and answer.

Okay so I'm repainting the PSS Dash 8. There is no paint kit but a blank texture (bmp) that I can add layers to to manipulate the paint, decals etc. 

My problem is this: the original texture file is 4Mb. As soon as I put it into PSP9 and save it after editing, the file is now 3Mb and won't show up ingame. There is no compression option for bmp's in PSP9 (I don't even know if bmps can be compressed) . Put it through DXTbmp to see if there is something I'm missing or not adding. Every single time I save anything the original file is reduced from 4Mb to 3Mb.

This is driving me CRAZY. I used to know how to do this. If I find out now, I'll write it in the largest font possible and put it in a folder titled "Hey Stupid, this is how you paint the PSS Dash 8".

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Taking a wild guess here.

The PSS Dash 8 is for FS2002/2004?

I believe many old bmp's were 24-bit Bitmaps.

(ie. You can edit them, even with Microsoft Paint)

Using DXTBmp:

1 Load the image and Send To Editor.

2 When you are done with PSP9, flatten and save the image.

3. Reload After Editor.

4. Save as Extended 32 bit 888-8.

If that works?

Fine, You are done.

If not?

Try loading the final image to MS Paint and save as 24 bit BMP. (don't know if you'll loose the Alpha)

Update: I just tested and edited a livery from the Library:pss_dhc8_airnewzealand.zip -> dash8_t.bmp and it works fine.

Can not test as I now use P3D only.

Give it a try.

Cheers

Thank you Kabronicus. Your method does indeed work. It does increase the texture size from 4mb to 5.33mb. I know I used to be able to save the file as a 24 bit bmp and not lose the original file size. When I look at the repaints in the library the textures are all 24bit bmps at 4MB and darned if I know how to maintain the file size. As soon as I edit it in either dxtbmp or PSP9 it shrinks to 3 and doesn't show up ingame. Maybe I lose the alpha channel, I dunno. Thanks again and if I don't get any other suggestions at least I have this to fall back on.

Cheers

It does increase the texture size from 4mb to 5.33mb

Uncheck the "Save Mipmaps" box in DXTBmp and it will be 4Mb.

Mips should not be used on user aircraft, only AI.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Yes! Thank you Joe. I knew it was something really simple (like me, lol) that was the problem. Gonna have to write that down......

Cheers!