Sign in to follow this  
Guest smorose

FS9's Highest Point in the Virtual World.

Guest sb55mv

Hi,I am trying to find out what is the highest point in the FS9 world for Mountains etc, I'm guessing that it's going to be something like the Himalayas or similar,a point of reference, or even better, an Airport close by that I can use as a starting point would be very welcome.thanks for any info guy's.

Luka - VNLK is literally on the slopes of Mt Everest and is the real world statging point for many climb attempts.There is a small airfield - helicopter base higher up - but it's not in the default FS.SLLP in La Paz Bolivia is the highest major commercial airport in the world - higher than Lhasa in Tibet. Most large aircraft manufacturers do high altitude testing at SLLP.The highest default airport in FS is apparently in the mountains of either Ecuador, Peru or Columbia - forget which. I'll look when I get home. I've not heard anyone ever say for sure if the airport actually exists.I believe the tallest terrain point is in western Venzuela / Columbia and is a data error - with an elevation of over 60,000 feet - Kamarang (SYKM) and fly heading 163 for 6 nm. There is also a hole about 100,000 feet nearby. This is a useful file to correct some of the worst terrain errors in FS - six_default_fixes.zipAlso this file fixes an error in Africa - tanzan_v.zipMt Everest is about the right elevation - though you need a good terrain mesh - nepalmesh.zip - in the library.There is also a nice addon scenery - nepal_fs9_v2.zip - has some of the higher airports not included in the default FS.

Guest sb55mv

Thanks very very much for all that information, more than I was expecting, but, very welcome all the same.Thanks again.I use FS Global SE, which covers the whole globe, so this should make for an interesting flight.

The highest airports in the default FS2004 are:1. SPRF - San Rafael in Peru - 14,423 ft elevation 2. VI1M - Fukche in India - 13,700 ft3. SPVI - Vicco in Peru - 13,461 ft4. SLCN - Charana in Bolivia - 13,320 ft5. SLLP - El Alto Intl, La Paz, Bolivia - 13,313 ftSLLP is the first of these airports to have more than a bare runway in FS.On the other end of the scale - 1. LLMZ - I.Bar-Yehuda, Metzada, Israel - 1266 ft below sea level2. L06 - Furnace Creek, Death Valley Natl Park, California, US - 210 ft below SL3. KCLR - Cliff Hatfield Meml, Calipatria, California, US - 180 ft BSL4. LLEY - En Yahav, Isarel - 164 ft BSL5. KBWC - Brawley Mun, Brawley, California, US - 129 ft BSL

Guest sb55mv

thanks very much for the precise information Reggie, it's very much appreciated.

Guest ristretto

I have FS Global and the mountains surrounding Mount Everest look nice but Everest itself looks like a big ugly cube. KLM 747 flying at 30,000ft, so just flying 1000ft above Everest. I know ground textures don't look good 1000 ft above ground but I'm disappointed Everest doesn't look better. Anyway Everest size is enormous.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/133262.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/133263.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/133264.jpg

Hi...Awesome pictures - but you are right - that is one ugly mountain... Doesn't look like the Everest from the IMAX movie...Does FSGENESIS make it any better ???Regards,Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Guest ristretto

Oops, I'm sorry, I posted the picture of a different mountain located nearby Everest. This time I used coordinates to get right above Mount Everest. These are Everest screen shots using FS Global 2005. The Everest peak is visible by the contrails. The ugly cube looking mountain is in the background which in fs9 looks taller than Everest when flying over it because it is so large and probably just a bit less tall than Everest so that makes no difference in fs9.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/133305.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/133306.jpg