Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Change the default size of the menu windows in P3Dv3.4

Does someone know if it's possible to change the default size of the menu windows in P3Dv3.4?

The windows I'm talking about is the menu windows that is used by products such as GSX, AS16 etc.

Richard Åsberg

I'm curious about this as well.  Last update it got smaller but at least they added a "Next page" instead of it just being cut off and thus having to resize it every time. 

• Upvote 1

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

I actually think these new windows are quite nice after you made them a bit bigger by resizing them. I only wish there was a way to have the new size stick.

Richard Åsberg

Their change list a few versions back said the scaleform windows will have scroll bars but I've never seen them.  Just have to resize at the beginning of each session.

Dan Downs KCRP

It's a function of the individual program. If they allow resizing, you can - if not - you can't. AS16 has a limited resize.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I'll look into this as I think there is a way ... I personally think the menus are too large by default, I'm constantly resizing them to be smaller for any "session".

I know you can change what is shown in the main P3D menus by adding [uSERINTERFACE] section to the Prepar3d.cfg and then set AvailableMenus=..

Configuring the Menu

The list of available menus can be specified in the Prepar3D.cfg located in the roaming application data folder (%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3). This list is inclusive so once any items are added only these menu items will be shown. To add entries add "AvailableMenus=" (without quotes) followed by the four digit hexidecimal IDs of the desired menus separated by commas in the [uSERINTERFACE] section of the Prepar3D config, i.e. AvailableMenus=1102, 1301, 1480, 150F, 0401.

The list of available menu IDs are referenced below. Note that menu bar items and context menu items have separate IDs so if the context menu is still desired its IDs must be present to still be functional. Also all parent IDs for a specific item do not need to be specified in the config. For example, you do not need to add the ID for SCENARIOS (the top level Scenario drop down) if the SELECT_SCENARIO ID is specified. All menu items up the chain will be added automatically as necessary. If the AvailableMenus entry is not in the config or no entries are specified all menu items will be available (default behavior).

And 

Customizing Prepar3D Windows

Prepar3D now offers the ability to customize the user interface windows by allowing the user to save each window with a custom set of properties that will be loaded as the defaults.

Window Settings Available

User interface windows are saved in a list format with a unique window name given to each set of window properties. These unique window names correspond to predefined window names that the application loads.

Technical Note: The actual technical details on the file format as well as the unique window names can be determined by configuring the desired window in the application (e.g. setting its location), exiting the application to save the user interface settings, and then opening the user interface settings file with your favorite text editor.

Each window has both size and location properties for its windowed mode state as well as a full screen mode state. The different states allow customization of window location and sizes regardless of the full screen resolution selected. The properties each window state can have is:

Setting Name
(For each WindowState contained in a Window) Type Description Height Integer The height of the window to be displayed.

Technical Note: DPI scaling is not taken into account in this number and is automatically handled by the application.

Width Integer The width of the window to be displayed.

Technical Note: DPI scaling is not taken into account in this number and is automatically handled by the application.

Left Integer The X coordinate screen space position of the window to be displayed. Top Integer The Y coordinate screen space position of the window to be displayed. MinimumWidth Integer If the window is resizable, this width will be enforced so that the window will be no thinner than this size.

MinimumHeight Integer If the window is resizable, this height will be enforced so that the window will be no smaller than this height.

Additionally, there are several generic properties that can be applied to a window which allow for more flexibility:

Setting Name
(For each Window) Type Description IsLoadEnabled Boolean The default value is true which allows saved windowed and full screen coordinates and locations to be loaded. If this value is false the window will always try to position itself in the center of the current screen that Prepar3D is currently running on. IsSaveEnabled Boolean The default value is true which allows both the windowed and full screen coordinates to be saved when the windows are closed. If this value is false the windows are effectively in read only mode where they will be loaded at the specified coordinates each time but never saved. IsResizable Boolean Most windows are set to false by default because their layout was not designed around a resizable layout. The user can customize any additional windows they would like to be resizable but may not achieve satisfactory layouts if typically fixed windows are able to be resized.

Technical Note: Windows can be modal or modeless in Prepar3D but this cannot be currently configured at this time as it would interfere with program flow. Modal windows require the user to supply some specified input before returning to the previous task. Modeless windows can run alongside the application simultaneously with other windows.

Enabling and Disabling Window Customization

In order to disable saving and loading window configurations, please set the ShouldSaveWindowProperties property to false. This will revert to each window showing up in its default position with its default attributes on load. To re-enable this setting, change the property to true.

All this info is available online here.

Cheers, Rob.

Does someone know if it's possible to change the default size of the menu windows in P3Dv3.4?

The windows I'm talking about is the menu windows that is used by products such as GSX, AS16 etc.

You might be able to change their size, or even move them, using a Lua plug-in to FSUIPC, via the ext.position function -- see the example "TileSix.lua" in the installed batch of Lua examples. All you need to know is the name of the Window -- "SimConnectWindow", in P3D3 (It was "SubMenuDialog" in P3D2 and "SimConnect Choices" in FSX).

I've not tried this, so I can't guarantee it, and it's past my bedtime now. I may try it over the weekend.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Thanks guys for all your detailed input!

This however was a little bit too much for me to simply make the menu windows remember their size and position so I'll just set the size and position whenever I start P3D the way I like it and then I'm good until I restart P3D next time.

I was hoping there was some simple "switch" somewhere like in Prepar3D.cfg called something like LockMenuWindowSizePosition=1 or something like that I overlooked but I guess that would have been far too easy :lol:

Richard Åsberg

Try this,

Located in the P3D gauges directory is a file call missionpanels.cfg, edit window12 entry size_mm to your requirements and save.

This I have found will change the window size for the GSX window permanently (you will most likely need to restart P3D for it to take)

Works for me. :smile: 

Tony

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

Try this,

Located in the P3D gauges directory is a file call missionpanels.cfg, edit window12 entry size_mm to your requirements and save.

This I have found will change the window size for the GSX window permanently (you will most likely need to restart P3D for it to take)

Tony

That's a great tip! Will try it out for sure, thanks :smile:

Richard Åsberg

Try this,

Tony

I assume that this changes the size of any window launched via SimConnect?

I tried this but when bringing up the GSX menu it was all black and a couple of second later P3D exited and brought me back to the desktop with no messages.

Richard Åsberg

Jay:

Yes, I think it will change the size for all simConnect launched windows. There is an entry also for the ATC window and others as well but I have not tried those.

WebMaximus :

Sorry to hear it did not work for you. I changed only the Y dimension to 350 (375,350) so to enabled all the GSX entries to fit on the same screen.

Perhaps you have to stick within a certain limit or ratio for it to work ?

Tony

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

I tried this but when bringing up the GSX menu it was all black and a couple of second later P3D exited and brought me back to the desktop with no messages.

Can you post exactly what you have now under that Window12 entry?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.