Sign in to follow this  
betelgeuse

Disk Drives in New Build

I run X-Plane, FSX, and P3D in W7x64.

X-Plane and FSX run  on their own HDDs; P3D runs from a 500GB SSD via PCIE. 

W7 runs off Disk 4 in its own partition, with the remainder of the 1.5TB disk being used for storage.

In a new W7 build, can I connect the existing drives and expect the sims to run without problems?

What if I used a Windows 10 OS? 

And finally, the P3D SSD is getting full. If I copy its contents to a larger SSD, or HDD, is it likely that P3D will still run? 

Thanks!

Supporter.png

John

Hi John, sorry you haven't received any replies. There are complexities and uncertainties involved, so I'm sure forum members aren't sure.

No it's not a silly question, in fact it's a question that's been asked quite a lot lately. And understandably so given the huge hassle of installing all our software when we build a new rig. It can literally take days.

First let me say this, it's always better to reinstall everything when we build a new PC. If you don't and you have issues with your new build, you have added another layer of complexity, a new set of variables to confuse your troubleshooting endeavours. 

Having said that, it can be done successfully. What you have to do is make sure you uninstall all of the old motherboard related software, namely chip set drivers, motherboard utilities, anything that doesn't relate to your new motherboard and may cause a conflict. In addition, uninstall graphics card drivers if you are installing a new card and any software that won't be required for your new build.

Build your new rig, reactivate Windows, install all of the new motherboard drivers and the rest of your new software in the normal way.

If it goes belly up, then obviously your next step is a complete reinstall of everything.

W7 runs off Disk 4 in its own partition, with the remainder of the 1.5TB disk being used for storage.

What if I used a Windows 10 OS? 

If you switch to W10, then I would  back up the software you are storing on that drive. Then install W10 on that drive. I'm not sure if your flight sims install files elsewhere, other than their own drives, if they save files on the OS disc. Not having done any simming for a long tine, I'm out of touch. Don't think it's the case, but thought I'd mention it. Not sure if there are any other conflicts to worry about, so can't be definitive.

And finally, the P3D SSD is getting full. If I copy its contents to a larger SSD, or HDD, is it likely that P3D will still run? 

I would think so. In fact most SSD's come with software to enable you to transfer the contents to the new drive.

Hopefully I haven't missed anything or said anything stupid, if I have, hopefully others will chime in.

I would be hesitant to say there would be no issues, so use your own judgement.

Martin,

Thanks very much for this. Your comments helped me to think things through better. 

I forgot entirely that lots of flightsim-related files end up on the C: drive or elsewhere. That unfortunate fact alone makes my idea a non-starter. 

The thought of uninstalling things like chip set drivers, and other things of which I know little and so might overlook, makes my eyes glaze over.

I was hoping to take a shortcut or two, but as you rightly say, it would best to  start again and to do a clean install of all the things I really want. 

It will take me a week or two, but will be better for my blood pressure. :smile:

Supporter.png

John

It will take me a week or two, but will be better for my blood pressure.  :smile:

It's a pain in the bum isn't it, takes so long.

Even my new build, with zero flight sim stuff and just BF4 and Elite Dangerous currently, took me quite a while to set up how I like and overclock.

Bloody great PC though, and I'm sure you too will be overjoyed with yours and  feel it was all worth while.  :smile: