Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

Who still uses REX with Soft Clouds for most areas of the sim?

I know that there is split opinion on REX with With Soft Clouds (SC) vs Active Sky's Cloud Art (ASCA) for sky/cloud depiction but there also seems to be opinion here that REX does little for water textures. So are people just using REX for runway textures these days?

Just wondering as I am still busy fresh installing my PC with P3D v3.4.9 and on the fence whether I should make the switch to ASCA and retire REC+SC altogether. I already have AS2016 but I am holding off on installing that until the 3.4 patch/update is out of beta.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I know that there is split opinion on REX with With Soft Clouds (SC) vs Active Sky's Cloud Art (ASCA) for sky/cloud depiction but there also seems to be opinion here that REX does little for water textures. So are people just using REX for runway textures these days?

Just wondering as I am still busy fresh installing my PC with P3D v3.4.9 and on the fence whether I should make the switch to ASCA and retire REC+SC altogether. I already have AS2016 but I am holding off on installing that until the 3.4 patch/update is out of beta.

I use Rex SC and think they look great. After seeing screen shots of ASCA, never considered switching from SC. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Even better: freeware HDEv2 clouds and freeware Navids sky set skies. :wink: BTW I do own (an older version of) REX, never liked it, and I do own ASCA, never liked it either.

EDIT

Obviously AS16 drives the weather. :wink:

Using Rex3Essential Plus OD for weather and water, Rex4TD with Soft Clouds for sky textures. Amazing results can be seen on different forums. 

• Upvote 1

REX Soft Clouds + Rex Essential for Weather engine.been using these for so long and would never change.

steve

• Upvote 1

Even better: freeware HDEv2 clouds and freeware Navids sky set skies

Jeroen nails it

I use AS16 + REX SC it performs nicely to me.

Kind regards,

Jorge.

Va pensiero sull'ali dorate...

I use HDEv2 sky and AS16 with ASCA, but in ASCA I unchecked the sky textures so that the HDEv2 sky textures don't get overwritten. I also use 512 DTX textures for cumulus and cirrus texture to soften them. I like the new cloud models that ASCA provides over the default cloud models which are used when using REX or other cloud textures.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I can not offer any empirical facts regarding Active Sky or others. However I have used REX for a long time, both in FSX and now on P3dv3. I see no performance issues, just highly realistic weather. Especially that low Cumulus you sometimes get on approach, when you get that "Oh myghosh" moment on finals, in marginal VFR.

I use FS Global Real Weather for the weather injection. Although REX will do that for you as well.

REX Texture Direct with Soft Clouds with Orbx over the entire planet. You can see the results in my you tube channel.

Regards

David

REX SC + ASN great combo :)

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

I had read in other places people actually prefered the ASCA over Rex softclouds now that they fixed some bugs.. but maybe not?  I have box REX Texture Direct and AS16 and ASCA.. currently with rex ground textures and ASN for clouds as well as ASCA, but maybe its time to try some comparisons.

HDEv2.. is this the right page for it.. it references FSX, but not so much p3d?

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Still flying with Rex SC. Did not see the benefit of Asca in video reviews. Still looking for reason to drop ASN for AS16. The two reviews I watched made me feel like AS16 was nothing more the a sales platform for Asca. Is it worth the switch?

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I use AS16 + REX Textures + Texture Direct & Soft Clouds.

Didn't buy ASCA. and still waiting for the Rex Essentials patch.

HDEv2.. is this the right page for it.. it references FSX, but not so much p3d?

That's the one and yes, it works in P3D.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I had read in other places people actually prefered the ASCA over Rex softclouds now that they fixed some bugs.. 

that is the case for me. 

i was not crazy about the ASCA textures on release, but the service pack made them basically the same style as rex's soft clouds, except with the added advantage of multiple variations and variants for bad weather, etc.

i love the increase in variety with dynamic mode, compared to static cloud textures, and the improvements in the 3d models as well. 

it's a pretty subjective topic for sure.

cheers

-andy crosby