Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

Who still uses REX with Soft Clouds for most areas of the sim?

Still flying with Rex SC. Did not see the benefit of Asca in video reviews. Still looking for reason to drop ASN for AS16. The two reviews I watched made me feel like AS16 was nothing more the a sales platform for Asca. Is it worth the switch?

The clincher for me was the VC wind screen effect of wispy cloud fragments racing by "up close and personal", though if you don't use the VC it can't be experienced. First time I experienced it I almost fell out of my chair. But I'll agree, a rather frivolous expense for an ASN owner but I'm at the point in my life where my money does me no good unless I spend it.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

The two reviews I watched made me feel like AS16 was nothing more the a sales platform for Asca. Is it worth the switch?

There is a free 7 day demo for AS16.  Give it a test drive.

Yes, I am a beta tester for HiFi BUT since I've been flying as16/asca combination I haven;t  found any other clouds that give me the same immersion and effects. For comparison I try whatever is out there and my eyes prefer AS16/ASCA.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Tried AS16/ASCA, switched back to REX SC/ASN, it's much better and realistic. It also support both FSX and P3D.

that is the case for me.

i was not crazy about the ASCA textures on release, but the service pack made them basically the same style as rex's soft clouds, except with the added advantage of multiple variations and variants for bad weather, etc.

i love the increase in variety with dynamic mode, compared to static cloud textures, and the improvements in the 3d models as well.

it's a pretty subjective topic for sure.

cheers

-andy crosby

That was what happened to me as well. In fact I didn't even use ASCA for more than a few flights due to that.

Once the service packs were released it wa a whole new ball game and nothing as far as cloud types and cloud models looks more realistic and varied during a flight as ASCA.

Now if they didn't use their own custom cloud models then it might be different if it was just textures like REX or FEX.

I'm still not sold on the sky textures yet, even after the service packs but as far as cloud models/textures I think it looks better than anything out there at this time.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator