Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[01OCT16] A quick apology for activation hiccups...

Captains,

As we wind up to each major release, we always plow a bunch of upgrades into the infrastructure that allows PMDG to operate.  Some of it you guys see, but most of it you don't.

Back in July, we implemented a long-planned upgrade to the hardware and software that fronts our license key activation process.  This upgrade was done in conjunction with the service provider that provides our IP protection solution- and since they are one of the most recognized names in the business **AND** since we have done this upgrade a few times previously, it came as a bit of a surprise that the reliability of the activation service went right into the tank.

Our previous (2013 vintage) activation service running on a 2013 vintage server had up-time that exceeded 99.99%, and it autonomously failed only once in three years.

The new 2016 version of the activation service has a bunch of new tools that will speed up our ability to handle customer support requests- so it seemed like a good idea to upgrade prior to launching the 747-400.

Boy were we wrong.

Since the upgrade was accomplished in mid July, the activation service (the software- not the hardware) has quietly shut itself down regularly every 48hrs or so.  We have had to implement a standing watch to keep an eye on the service, since, when it fails, it fails so spectacularly that it doesn't even get out the "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up" email and SMS that the system is designed to send when trouble strikes.

We have taken to simply rebooting the bloody thing every 24hrs, but this hasn't completely eliminated inconvenience to customers- and for that I just wanted to take a moment to apologize.

I won't go into too many details- but suffice it to say it has taken a significant amount of effort to get the proper attention to get this problem resolved...  Normally a simple rollback would have been sufficient- but for a bunch of technical reasons that was not an option past a certain point- and of course- the thing ran flawlessly until we were well past that point.  (don't you love technology?)

At any rate- our vendor will be on site during the day monday and tuesday to completely rebuild the services and thoroughly test them to be certain they run flawlessly.  The supposition at this point is that something quirky is happening during the installation and they need to be hands-on with the server in order to fix it.

The down side:  We will take all activation processes offline for a few hours on Monday, beginning at 1630Z.

The up side:  They promise we will be back to 99.99% reliability.  (I'm taking bets...  Anyone feel like throwing money in into the betting pool?)

At any rate- for those who have been impacted- thank you for your patience and sense of humor.  It isn't any fun on our end when this happens either- but like all things- it WILL get resolved!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Many, many years ago I recall my technical college teacher telling us students around the time our essays were due at the end of semester that there were always problems with servers and printers at this particular time. This, we were told, was due to a mysterious component in all of the computers and printers and servers called a "critical sensor". Apparently, it sensed our state of agitation and, if certain parameters were met (i.e. impatience, pacing, swearing, fist thumping, yelling in frustration, etc) then the printers or servers or computers would cease to operate properly or at all. Not sure if your hardware has this sensor, Robert, but you may want to check given your problems at the time of pre-release of new products! :P

Apparently, it sensed our state of agitation and, if certain parameters were met (i.e. impatience, pacing, swearing, fist thumping, yelling in frustration, etc) then the printers or servers or computers would cease to operate properly or at all.

That's a real thing, happened on such occasions at an engineering company I worked at such as when we had to print, stamp and collate 20 copies of a 200 drawing design package by Friday.  Yup.  I always asked the client for Monday deadlines.

Dan Downs KCRP

...the bloody thing...

I hope you didn't say that in the vicinity of the server Robert, we have to talk nicely to ours. :)

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I hope you didn't say that in the vicinity of the server Robert, we have to talk nicely to ours. :)

Servers have feelings, too, Robert. Now you go and apologise. I hear servers like RAM chips lightly sprinkled with compressed air.

• Upvote 1

Matthew-

Actually- it isn't the server's fault at all.  The server is ours- and has performed flawlessly.

The weak link is the software provided by the vendor...

The vendor's techs have feelings- so I will be wearing my happy hat tomorrow so that I don't accidentally tell them what we REALLY think of the past two months.  :dance:

• Upvote 1

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

And me thinking it was something wrong at OS level.

Nevermind, sorted now :)

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Matthew-

Actually- it isn't the server's fault at all.  The server is ours- and has performed flawlessly.

The weak link is the software provided by the vendor...

The vendor's techs have feelings- so I will be wearing my happy hat tomorrow so that I don't accidentally tell them what we REALLY think of the past two months.  :dance:

Good idea, Robert. By the way, my wife and I head over to the United States from our home in Australia on October 5 for a two week driving holiday, so if possible can you please turn the weather settings to "clear" for our trip? Thanks!

Robert,

Are there still issues?

I have had to reinstall and gone back to Win7 and i'm getting errors when activating the T7 200 and 300.

I have had to reinstall and gone back to Win7 and i'm getting errors when activating the T7 200 and 300.

Please go to PMDG Product Support instead of a user forum for any and all activation issues. Open tickets will get a response.

Dan Downs KCRP

No worries Dan,

Was just asking if the issues PMDG had were fixed. A simple reinstall of the T7 cleared the problem.

Wooohooo...the 747 v2 is coming...

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

Hi,

I am not too sure whether I am in the correct place of the Forum, but here goes.  Then other day, I bought  a second-hand (or second user) copy of the PMDG 737 NGX from a subscriber to Muttley's Hangar Forum and duly received the package.  The seller told me that he was turning over to P3D from FSX and therefore had no further use for his copy of the 737 program.  He has had the program for quite some time and has no authentication number which would have come from his original purchase from Aerosoft (I believe).  Inside the box, which really does look authentic (just like my PMDG 747 box), there is a registration key.

When I tried to install the program, the first thing I noticed was that if someone sellsd or purchases a PMDG program, they must have the authority of PMDG, but where do I go to get this?

The second thing that happened was that the almost installed program told me that it needed an Authentication number - as I said, the seller has long lost that so I was unable to proceed.  I tried to enter the Registration Key from the box but it did not like that either.

So, am I the victim of the authentication system breaking down again, or is it even working now?  I would dearly love to install your 737 program, but it appears that I am thwarted, and worse still, I don't yet have the authority of PMDG to have purchased this program, and I am still in the dark as to go about this.

Is there anyone on this Forum that can advise me, and if PMDG read this, would they very kindly authorise me to install their program?  If any further particulars are needed, then please, please write back and I will do my very best to get it for you.

Reagrds and good flying to all readers,

Philhen.

the first thing I noticed was that if someone sellsd or purchases a PMDG program, they must have the authority of PMDG, but where do I go to get this?

Buyer beware. The PMDG license is not transferable, it cannot be used by anyone but the original purchaser. Refer to the EULA for exact wording.

Maybe you can get your money back?

Dan Downs KCRP