Sign in to follow this  
EPICfan

Multiple GPUs - definition?

Hey Steve, I was about to purchase when I saw the warning about multiple GPUs not being supported. I am not really sure what this means.

I have two graphic cards in my system, two monitors on one card and a third on the other. The cards are not linked (as in SLI or Crossfire). Is this multiple GPUs, or is multiple GPU only if two graphic cards are linked to produce one output (like SLI or Crossfire)?

Best,
Holger

Holger TillmannSIM: FS9/2004 // FSX<p>CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 4x3.40GHz (for FSX OCed to 4.2), GPU: ASUS GTX 760 Direct CU II OC, GeForce® 9800 GTX +MB: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 Z87 DDR3RAM: Crucial 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL8 Ballistix Tactical

What you have is multiple GPUs I am afraid.

By all means try running fsx in dx10 preview ((without the fixer) to see if it works but I suspect that it won't.

If you do that its best to know how to edit fsx.cfg and change the d3d10 setting to switch back.

I tried DirectX 10 preview for the first time after purchasing FS Labs A320, and I found it to give me mor fluidity (in windowed mode) than DX 9. I don't have many texture errors besides the occasional Aerosoft ground vehicle that flashes by untextured. But I thought with the fixer I might get to re-use some GA airports where the trees now have a black background etc.

All this is working so well even without the fixer that for a moment I thought had installed your old freeware version, but I think I did not.

The only tweaks I dud were those according to NIck's FSX "Bible", bht those are purely DirectX 9.

What do you mean by fsx.cfg and switching back? Shouldn't thisbe achieved easily by keeping a copy of the pre-install?

Best

Holger

Holger TillmannSIM: FS9/2004 // FSX<p>CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 4x3.40GHz (for FSX OCed to 4.2), GPU: ASUS GTX 760 Direct CU II OC, GeForce® 9800 GTX +MB: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 Z87 DDR3RAM: Crucial 4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL8 Ballistix Tactical

Are you are saying it actually runs ok with two GPUs? The Fixer has no bearing on multiple GPUs so it works you are ok.

Yes - keeping a copy before trying it works just as well.

It seems it does. Did not get to do any long flights in bad weather, yet, due to time constraints. Two monitors (VC and 2D PFD/ND) hooked to the GTX 760, one (2D MCDU, upper and lower engine display) to the 9800.

Can the fixer be set only on the GTX 760? Because it would only be needed fir the VC as this is the only window that displays outside view. All others are 2D instrument panels.

Is there anything else that I can tell you about my setup that would be of help?

Best,

Holger

Holger based on what you saying I am sure that the fixer will work ok for you, if it doesn't then I can issue you with a refund.

The fixer knows nothing about the configuration of GPUs, it just changes the shaders which run on them.

The advice was purely based on a few early purchasers reporting that dx10 preview did not work on their multiple GPU setups. In all cases the problem existed without the fixer installed as well and so didn't relate to the fixer as such.

You seem to be ok, and I know of a least one other person who also reported that dx10 preview (and subsequently the fixer ) worked ok with a multiple gpu setup, so perhaps my advice is overly cautious.

Perhaps it's ok if you just undock 2D panels.

Well, I am afraid you are right - the video feed from the second GPU sends an image to the additional monitor, but the image / gauge is not being updated.

I will now try too connect three monitors to one card (need to wait for an adapter to arrive in the mail) and then get back to you.

So far, my impression is that I get about the same frame rates with DirectX 9 and 10. As NickN wrote in his "Bible": "A well tuned DX9 sim that runs smooth with run smooth in DX10 mode as well".

Best regards,

Holger

Hey Steve, I was actually able to connect a third monitor to my GPU, so I am using only one GPU at the moment. With the fixer, everything works great. I am still getting the same framerates, but with the increased eye candy of DX10.

Thanks for a great product,

Holger