Sign in to follow this  
petdocvmd

Continued problems with California waypoints

Good Day,

I have been away from flightsim for a time, and did not have the opportunity to try the proposed solution to my issue (see post "GNS 530 Missing Waypoints" from 5/16/2016).

I recently resumed simming and after some initial problems was able to update to the latest Mindstar gauge.  I now show the following:

MPI_GNS = 8/26/2016 2:58pm

Database Cycle 160 from RealNav.

The GPS works perfectly in my home region of central PA.  However I am still unable to load waypoints in California, which is really taking away from my utilization of Pilot Edge.

For example, last night on a flight from L70 to KLGB I could not enter KIMMO, DARTS, or ADAMM, rendering the GPS useless for the flight.

I am using the A2A Comanche with the Mindstar GNS 530 w/ Prepar3d v3.2.3 on an up-to-date Windows 10 PC.

Thanks for your help,

Scott

Are using any addon scenery?  Do you have any updated scenery installed?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I have FTX Global and FTX Vector Southern California - up to date.

I use Active Sky Next SP5 and Rex 4 Texture Direct / Soft Clouds v4.8.

Scott

The only time we see this behavior is when there's scenery installed that adds/modifies waypoints/navaids/etc.

I can tell you that I am able to enter all of your mentioned waypoints without issue in Prepar3D.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

What is my next step?  Should I contact FTX? 

I can try disabling the scenery to see if this rectifies the problem.

Does this mean that the RealNav DB draws its data from Prepar3D?  I guess I'm not understanding how the scenery installed would affect the ability of a GPS to load a waypoint in its own database, irrespective of the sim data..?

Is there any file or info I can send you to confirm this issue?

Thanks,

Scott

I would suggest disabling addon scenery and see if the problem persists.

RealNav is it's own database, however there are cross checks with the actual sim as well.

Also... please confirm that you run the sim as administrator.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I disabled all ORBX regions, including Southern CA and North America.  No Joy - tried KIMMO - not recognized.

Yes - I run the sim and all add-ons as administrator.

Scott

All three of the waypoints you are attempting to enter are in the default sim scenery, so even if you didn't use RealNav, they would exist.  The fact your system says they don't is concerning.  Have you gone to the nearest waypoint list in the 530 and see what's shown?  There is a core problem with your system, the question is... what?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I went to the "Nearest WP" page and there are about 3 pages of WP.  None of the ones I discussed were present.  I did search some of the ones that came up e.g. "BECCA" and "NORWA" and they are existent on current IFR maps.  Any thoughts?  I hope it will not come down to a clean reinstall of P3D, etc.

Thanks,

Scott

** Possibly solved **

A little research on missing WP in P3D led me to the website of Herve Sors, where I downloaded a .bgl file of North American Intersections and installed it as custom scenery in P3D.  Tried KIMMO and DARTS in the GNS530 and voila - there they were!  I'll work on entering some complex flight plans when I have some time this weekend.

I'm still confused as to why this was necessary.  What exactly does the GNS530 need in regards to WP from a scenery file that (in the case of vanilla P3D) is 9 years old?  There must be a ton of WP in the current data cycle that don't even exist in the P3D scenery files.  Do you see why I am confused? 

Thanks,

Scott

STOP!

You absolutely MUST uninstall that scenery.  That will create problems and we won't support it.

I need to know the value of NAVDATA= in the GNS.INI file that can be located in the Mindstar\Flight Simulator Addons folder.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Yikes!  I should have known that was too easy :-(

NAVDATA=REALNAV in my GNS.INI file.

I'll uninstall that scenery update file and await further advice.

Scott

Ok... contact our support via their email... Need to escalate this.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I contacted support 6 days ago, and aside from an initial response to my email saying they had received my ticket, I have had no reply.  An inquiry sent yesterday has also gone unanswered.  Is this typical for Mindstar support? 

Scott

We are not a major corporation with thousands of employees.  Because of that, your request goes into a queue.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69