Sign in to follow this  
Byrna

Kai Tak in fs9?

Guest Paragon

How come no one has made a high detail version of Kai Tak, something like FlyTampa airports. I realize that there are some, but I find them inferior to say the least. I know it's closed and all, but it is probably the most famous approach, plus the surroundings are amazing. I know there would be a lot of people who would want to try and see if they could master the IGS13 approach.

Guest Paragon

I've seen it, and honestly I think it's just not good enough. It's terrible on the framerates plus it doesn't blend in very well. The surrounding hills are "blocky" and so on.It does however depict the city and airport quite well, if only they would update it a bit more.

Yes Mikkel, I'm one of those who would love to have it but if you search the previous threads, the only ones existing are so horrible on the frames that it renders them unusable. I'd make one myself if I had the skills..

Guest Paragon

Yea I'm with you...if only I knew how to make a scenery. Oh well...hopefully someone will realize the, in my opinion, huge potential sales a Kai Tak scenery would have.

Guest B52Drivr

Hello All, The fella who was putting it all together was SoCalMarcus, I think, but I haven't heard anything from him in ages . . . I sure got excited abotu 6 months ago when I saw the 9 Dragons video . . . sure would be nice if the project was close to finish.Best,Clayhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

Guest Paragon

Having just watched this video i have to say...for the love of all that is holy, please finish this, it looks amazing. I would be willing to help and pay big money for this scenery. I tried to visit the website, but got nothing...has anyone been able to contact them?

Well maybe he's the chap to ask ... his email is at the end of the video. Incidentally, I could have done without the real-world crash shot in the middle of it; that clip is nothing to do with Kai Tak, so that is a little annoying. Maybe that's what put people off joining his team.There are rumours that Thomas Kwong is working on a new freeware version. I myself know of another chap who has been working on a project, which I have been beta testing for him. I doubt, however, that any commercial enterprise will take it on, given that the Flightsoft one already exists and Samsoft also made a version previously. The market is just not big enough. Yet ...The other point is that not many people other than Bill Lyons and Tom Gibson get too wound up about airports that are no longer open in the real world. It seems that the majority of new simmers today fly Airbus and Boeing and want to be ahead of, not behind, the times.All that is currently available for Kai Tak and its surroundings is listed on my site ... click the banner. See also my FS2002 and FS2000 pages ... there's some useful stuff there.MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Guest Paragon

Mark, I have checked your site, from before also, and I find it very useful and interesting. I remember finding some dynamic AI that would simulate the actual IGS13 approach! I would sit at the runway threshold and stare at the planes coming in...it's just so fascinating.I agree, I was a little surprised to see the crash aswell, and having seen it before and knowing where it took plave I was even more surprised. It was in poor taste imo.I wish, and pray that Thomas would do a Kai Tak, that guy is so talented it's scary. :)I guess there is nothing else to do than wait and see...I will send an email and ask if they need help, although I'm not very optimistic as their website is down.This guy you are beta testing for, does he plan on doing the airport only, or is he recreating the surrounding area aswell, meaning the city and harbor area?

This topic seems to come up every few months and one thing is for sure, When Kai Tak is done truly properly the entire FS community will go Grade 1 Bonkers.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest Paragon

Exactly...and this is what has me puzzled. Why wouldn't any add-on scenery maker want to cash in on this wating to happen frenzy...perhaps it's a question of not having the correct or enough data avaiable?

Only thing I can think of is because it's now a "dead airport", photos are becoming thin on the ground, memories are fading away and yes accurate data is harder to obtain now.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest yarvelling

It may be a 'dead airport', but, it is without doubt one of the most fascinating and beautiful , in wonderful surroundings. I too am very surprised that no-one has yet come up with a good FS9 version. I've tried the FlightSoft version, and it's OK, but as has been said, is terrible on frame rates, and the surrounding scenery is dreadfull....the water textures are a joke! Quite why they decided on that I'll never know, especially as they have so amny boats and even the Star Ferry in the harbour! I've also found that the earlier Thomas Kwong versions don't run so well in FS9, which is a shame because they look pretty good, but also give FPS problems.I sincerely hope that he does finish a properly optimised FS9 version, or that someone else takes on the task...mayhap one of those that Mark refers to will be good..I await the arrival with baited breath!Distant memories of being there, and photos fuel my interest still....and one day I shall return to Hong Kong, but until then, I'll be happy to fly into and out of a decent flight sim rendition of that classic airport :)

Is this something you guys would be interested in?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit