Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

how much wood do you burn in a wood stove in Alaska cabin?

Max Ward of Wardair used to haul logs strapped under the wings of a Beaver if I recall to build log cabins, one under each wing pointed forward into the wind. It was a risky thing to do. He also used to fly building materials up north in Beavers and Otters. Those old bush pilots have probably tried just about everything.

I would say if you were going to fly firewood, logs would probably be easier and it could be cut down to firewood after delivery

Matthew Kane

Scott,

The examples I provided were RW scenarios regarding Propane, and for existing Homesteaders living in the AK wilderness.

Of course, if we're talking the 'virtual skies', then all bets are off; if it's the Customer's dime, then haul whatever you want!

The 'typical' bundle of Firewood that one can purchase @ your local 7-11 or Tim Horton's weighs about 15 lbs., and can last anywhere from a night to a couple of Hours, again depending on the amount of Heat, Light and 'comfort level'.

For grins, a 50# bottle of Propane weighs about 40 - 45 lbs. to carry; 100# bottles are too clumsy to Load upright in the back... you'll have to lay them down & secure them tightly, if that'll work for you.

The operative word here is 'Virtual'... of course, in the RW the folks at the local FSDO would have a conniption if they found out you were hauling LP gas in your Sled. But, you can rest assured that at one time or another, Bush Pilots hauled many things, some of which may be considered 'questionable' in this day & age.

But look here... you've got Clients to take care of, and you're probably a pretty good judge about Wx and your flying abilities. If your Clients need it, give it to them! If the Ramp Inspector shows up right before you turn the Ignition key, just shrug your shoulders and say "It's all above Board, pal", and Taxi out!

Heh heh...

Alan   :smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

if distilling down this far a price/cost (break even) analysis would also be in order. Costs of sourcing the wood, possibly preparing (cutting and splitting), labor cost to load, fuel and hourly aircraft associated costs, any landing and parking costs if not in/out of private strips, and labor costs of unloading, any ground movement costs, at customer's end. That vs what the customer is willing to pay. 

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

That's the thing.. if you don't haul propane in the real world then I don't "do" it in flightsim either.

That's what this is all about, trying to do it as close to the real world as possible. 

In my mind, it's little things like this that can take your simming and notch it a little further into realism.

Ciao!

Scott,

Totally understand where you're coming from... the thing that draws the FAA's ire about Propane is its pressurized nature, as opposed to Oil or Gasoline, which can be transported in a pressure variable Container (gas).

Wherein you could transport the empty Propane Tank, how would the Landowner fill it in the future? I presume he lives away from any roads, so trucks couldn't come to refill the Tank once it's placed... and, if LP could be airlifted, it's very inefficient to feed a big Storage Tank from a bunch of little ones.

That is interesting about supplying your own Wood... like Scott said, small Logs would be the best option, but they'd have to be loaded inside the airplane... External Loads, FAA, Bitter Beer Face, you know the drill.

Love you're using a BN-2... they're not seen as much in the Bush anymore, but the guys who flew them swore by them.  You might also consider having a single like a Husky or Supercub in your stable; if your flying Scenario calls for servicing tourists and homesteaders, a Husky is a nice change of pace from flying the sleds, and you can still jam enough supplies to keep everyone happy, and keep you in good stead, with good bush cred! LOL

Alan  :smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Max Ward of Wardair used to haul logs strapped under the wings of a Beaver if I recall to build log cabins, one under each wing pointed forward into the wind. It was a risky thing to do. He also used to fly building materials up north in Beavers and Otters. Those old bush pilots have probably tried just about everything.

I would say if you were going to fly firewood, logs would probably be easier and it could be cut down to firewood after delivery

I saw Beavers with canues strapped onto the swimmers. So I am sure one could strap logs to the swimmers as well. That should be much less stressful to the aircrafts structure than strapping it under the wings...

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

Just Google "bush plane external loads" and look at the Images... Mountain bikes, ATV's, 4 x 8 sheets of Plywood, Moose antlers... now, go back to 'All', and scroll down the page to the .pdf called "N 8900.272". That'll give you the skinny on External Loads...

:spiteful:  :unknw: 

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg