Sign in to follow this  
joepoway

P3D Default Startup Question?

I have always been told that it was important to first load a default P3D aircraft like the F-22 before switching to a more complex add-on plane like an A2A T-6 or C172 for instance.

My question is, does that mean actually loading the F-22 and placing it on the runway before switching to an A2A plane?

My saved default flight is the F-22 out of San Diego. I launch P3D and have it display the selection menu screen, at that point I switch aircraft and sometimes airports and then hit OK to launch.

By not actually launching the F-22 P3D default aircraft am I not accomplishing the recommendation or is getting to the selection splash screen with the F-22 ready to launch good enough?

I hope this makes sense. Basically I don't put the F-22 running on the runway prior to changing aircraft and I now wonder if I'm not accomplishing the "best" start-up and basically it's just like saving my A2A T-6 as the default flight and launching it.

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

I'm not doing that and have not had any trouble as yet.

spacer.png

I have always been told that it was important to first load a default P3D aircraft like the F-22 before switching to a more complex add-on plane like an A2A T-6 or C172 for instance.

My question is, does that mean actually loading the F-22 and placing it on the runway before switching to an A2A plane?

My saved default flight is the F-22 out of San Diego. I launch P3D and have it display the selection menu screen, at that point I switch aircraft and sometimes airports and then hit OK to launch.

By not actually launching the F-22 P3D default aircraft am I not accomplishing the recommendation or is getting to the selection splash screen with the F-22 ready to launch good enough?

I hope this makes sense. Basically I don't put the F-22 running on the runway prior to changing aircraft and I now wonder if I'm not accomplishing the "best" start-up and basically it's just like saving my A2A T-6 as the default flight and launching it.

Joe

I use the scenario startup page, pick any aircraft I want, airport, time of day, and launch.  never had a problem.  Do not, with a complex aircraft, make it the default startup. You will have problems if you do. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

My starting default scenario is always the Beech Bonanza parked cold and dark. After scenario loads then I switch to A2A or other complex plane.

Even early days of FSX this startup procedure was heavily accepted. (Basic idea is to have FSX or P3D basic systems loaded and established, then the systems of a more in depth plane can be added)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I use a simple, time saving, convenient and also quite realistic method that works like a charm so far.

1. Whenever I want to fly a new addon plane (newly bought or just installed or not flown since installing P3D) I double click on the P3D icon on my desktop that opens up the default P3D flight (F-22 etc.).

2. I choose the new plane on the scenario screen: I never actually load the F22 default flight first.

3. I setup the flight like I want to and start it.

4. After landing my addon plane I secure the plane, cold and dark, and then (here comes the trick!) I save the flight as a regular flight and give the file the name of the plane!

5. I create a shortcut on my desktop for every plane I 'saved' this way.

6. The next time I want to fly a specific plane which I have flown before I do not double click on the default P3D icon but I instead double click on the saved flight/plane I want! This results in me starting the flight in the exact plane I want in the exact situation I left it. I only have to load a flight plan on the scenario screen and maybe change the time and I am good to go. As I said, easy, convenient, realistic and I never had problems with this.

7. After finishing the next flight I save the flight again, overwriting the previous file, so using the same file name, so I can keep on using the shortcuts on the desktops. This step isn't mandatory but I always like to find my plane the exact same way I left it and seldom take off form an airport I haven't flown to first. I you don't care about this, you only have to save each plane once.

I do think you mainly can get into problems with addon planes if you switch from a complex addon plane to another within the sim. The method I described above has worked like a charm for me while using various GA planes (A2A, RealAir) and the Aerosoft Airbus. If you want to use another complex addon plane, always make sure to at least load a default standard plane in between: I personally would quit P3D and load the saved plane I want.

I'm of the opinion that by loading a default aircraft and then switching to your preferred add on aircraft, you will be reducing VAS. That is a very bad thing. In P3D you can select your aircraft of choice, be it the PMDG 737 NGX or A2A T6 from the initial load screen, along with airport and time of day and go fly.

I always load the NGX like this. Would never load a default cessna up first. No valid reason to do this. Maybe when FSX came out, which was a very long time ago, not with modern hardware and P3D. Will do more harm than good.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Agree, always start with the Select Scenario screen and choose the saved scenario or create a new one, if you are using a PMDG product.  This has been the recommend practice since v3.0.  There is nothing to be gained by loading a B-58 for example and then loading the NGX again as an example.  It has caused problems with numerous threads over in PMDG forum to witness.  Many advanced add on aircraft have most of their simulation running out side of the default panels and gauges in P3D so it adds no benefit to launch stuff that then is unused.

Dan Downs KCRP

I assumed the default start up meant the Select Scenario Screen and that you didn't need to actually load the default aircraft on the runway, Thanks for confirming it for me!

Joe

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

I assumed the default start up meant the Select Scenario Screen and that you didn't need to actually load the default aircraft on the runway, Thanks for confirming it for me!

Joe

A2A seem to say the reverse, ie load their planes after loading a default plane on the runway.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=54630

So really the best thing to do is what the developer recommends.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

A2A seem to say the reverse, ie load their planes after loading a default plane on the runway.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=54630

gb.

Since this doesn't seem to be mandatory in my case I would say: 'really the best thing to do is what works best for you'. ;) My 'method' as described above works like a charm and I don't even want to consider the A2A-method. I'd hate having to do it that way everytime. It would be a big immersion killer for me. I really like to leave my plane as it is and get back to it the way it was.

Developers usually are too cautious and careful for obvious reasons but if another way of working works for someone, there is no need to do it different anyway just because a devs says so.

gboz, on 08 Oct 2016 - 10:10 PM, said:snapback.png

http://a2asimulation...p?f=116&t=54630

gb.

Interesting forum topic on A2A, the example sited is actually talking about P3D v3.4 I'm surprised as I have not done it this way and have seen no issues to date. I have had issues in the past if I make several switches of complex aircraft in one "launch" of P3D. If I'm going to change aircraft and be flying for any extended period of time I always restart P3D to the default selection screen and then load the new aircraft.

Joe